Hi -- New here.

My sons were in a Japanese immersion program kindergarten through 12th grade. Counting to 10 and the greetings are the only things I mastered.

Will you be attempting to 'count to five' (or ten) here, or just chastise poor Jack on his feeble (but valiant) attempt?

My sons were in a Japanese immersion program kindergarten through 12th grade. Counting to 10 and the greetings are the only things I mastered.

That's awesome! We were surprised at how many ppl in the tourist industry up there are Japanese language speakers. Maybe that's why.

That's awesome! We were surprised at how many ppl in the tourist industry up there are Japanese language speakers. Maybe that's why.

When I was on vacation there were Japanese tourists all over. At one of the hotels the guy at the front desk spoke some Japanese on the phone. When a tour bus full of Japanese tourists showed up to check in for the night, it made more sense.

Last edited:
Will you be attempting to 'count to five' (or ten) here, or just chastise poor Jack on his feeble (but valiant) attempt?
No, I just laughed at stong, it’s san. I didn’t realize you are so sensitive. I’ll try not to pick on you in fun, don’t want to hurt your feelings. You get a star for your efforts, most people probably didn’t even know that much.

No, I just laughed at stong, it’s san. I didn’t realize you are so sensitive. I’ll try not to pick on you in fun, don’t want to hurt your feelings. You get a star for your efforts, most people probably didn’t even know that much.

They seem to have strong sounding verbal delivery. If it is 'san', it sounds like 'stong' when pronounced, or at least that is the way I perceived it. Like o-hi-o, the hi is emphasized and it seems like they bark it at you. :)

Even though our new person is of Korean ancestry, not Japanese? lol

Just signed up today, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a financial analyst in my late 20s, a Korean American, and presently living in NYC. I'm a bit of a political junkie and I lean pretty hard to the left.

Welcome, I hope you aren't thin skinned as it can get pretty rough here.

I'm not from a foreign land.... unless you count the great state of New York.

Wish it were.
b2a74Vg.jpg

Back