Hi -- New here.

New York is one of the engines of American greatness. It's also a state that does a huge amount to subsidize the rest of the country:

https://www.moneytips.com/is-your-state-a-net-payer-or-a-net-taker/356

Can you imagine how the more dysfunctional states in the union would be doing if they weren't being propped up by New York paying vastly more in federal taxes than it gets in federal benefits? The nation is lucky New York isn't a foreign land.

And people from California, Texas, Florida etc. will all say the same. NY is no more important than other states when it comes to the economy. But if you wish to believe that and live there that is your choice.

Hello and welcome Oneuli,

Just signed up today, and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a financial analyst in my late 20s, a Korean American, and presently living in NYC. I'm a bit of a political junkie and I lean pretty hard to the left.

Glad to have you here. I hope you like it and stay.

By now you have probably learned how nasty this place can be. Everyone has their own way of dealing with that. Most people, unfortunately, do not find it acceptable, so they simply don't participate. I've invited several good people here, liberals and conservatives alike, and the majority were turned off by the trash-talk and promptly left.

For those who remain, many dish it out as strong as they get it back, some are able to 'take it' without having to resort to lowering themselves, (I'm impressed!) and a third group uses the Ignore feature. I fall into the third group. Strongly. I 'took it' for over a decade on another forum and then wondered why I was wasting my time with foul-mouthed people who seem bent on unloading their frustrations on me - because I'm liberal. As if they blame me for all the problems of the nation (absurd.) And since their little endorphin rush doesn't last, they have to do it over and over until it becomes habit. No, I don't want to be their enabler. They are the ones with anger issues, not me. I have a better way. I only talk to people who can post in a civil manner. Since this place is so active and there are so many posts, I get a higher quality of discussions, and I still don't have enough time to follow all the conversations.

One thing I really like is the Thread Ban feature. This allows the creator of a Thread to list any posters they wish to prevent from participating. I like that because it is a time-saver.

Unlike some, I have a very active life outside of this place. I use the available filters to enhance my visits here so I don't waste time reading drivel. I want to go directly to posts of substance and carry on conversations about politics. (Imagine that on a politics chat site!) I normally ban everyone on my large Ignore List from the threads I create. If you want to know who has been nasty to this liberal, just check the Ban List in my most recent Threads. There you will find a list of trolls.

Must be challenging to be liberal and work for a bunch of conservatives. Is that why you are here? That is precisely why I began to chat politics online. I was in a similar situation. By chatting online, I was able to get my politics fix so I didn't have to talk politics at work.

Jus so you know. Don't you like knowledge?

I like it when it's relevant. Of all the things there are to know in the world, though, only a tiny fraction are of interest to me. I do not know how bad your hemorrhoids are today, for example, nor do I have any desire to know. Neither do I know how many studio albums Justin Bieber has released. The sexual orientation of people here, a propos of nothing, is in that category. However, since it apparently interests you, I'm bisexual.

And people from California, Texas, Florida etc. will all say the same. NY is no more important than other states when it comes to the economy. But if you wish to believe that and live there that is your choice.

Certainly NY is not as important for the economy as California, but, along with Texas, it's in that next tier. Texas has slightly larger GDP, while NY is a much bigger net contributor to the national coffers. It's certainly far more important than lots of other states. If, say, a super-volcano went off and killed everyone in Wyoming, the US would remain the planet's biggest and most important economy, barely skipping a beat. If the same thing happened in New York, we'd be crippled, since it's the financial hub of the nation and one of a few central economic hubs of the planet.

Hello and welcome Oneuli,

Glad to have you here. I hope you like it and stay.

By now you have probably learned how nasty this place can be. Everyone has their own way of dealing with that. Most people, unfortunately, do not find it acceptable, so they simply don't participate. I've invited several good people here, liberals and conservatives alike, and the majority were turned off by the trash-talk and promptly left.

For those who remain, many dish it out as strong as they get it back, some are able to 'take it' without having to resort to lowering themselves, (I'm impressed!) and a third group uses the Ignore feature. I fall into the third group. Strongly. I 'took it' for over a decade on another forum and then wondered why I was wasting my time with foul-mouthed people who seem bent on unloading their frustrations on me - because I'm liberal. As if they blame me for all the problems of the nation (absurd.) And since their little endorphin rush doesn't last, they have to do it over and over until it becomes habit. No, I don't want to be their enabler. They are the ones with anger issues, not me. I have a better way. I only talk to people who can post in a civil manner. Since this place is so active and there are so many posts, I get a higher quality of discussions, and I still don't have enough time to follow all the conversations.

One thing I really like is the Thread Ban feature. This allows the creator of a Thread to list any posters they wish to prevent from participating. I like that because it is a time-saver.

Unlike some, I have a very active life outside of this place. I use the available filters to enhance my visits here so I don't waste time reading drivel. I want to go directly to posts of substance and carry on conversations about politics. (Imagine that on a politics chat site!) I normally ban everyone on my large Ignore List from the threads I create. If you want to know who has been nasty to this liberal, just check the Ban List in my most recent Threads. There you will find a list of trolls.

Must be challenging to be liberal and work for a bunch of conservatives. Is that why you are here? That is precisely why I began to chat politics online. I was in a similar situation. By chatting online, I was able to get my politics fix so I didn't have to talk politics at work.

Talking politics at work would be problematic for me. Although almost nobody in my professional circle is a Trump supporter (we're talking about Ivy-educated people with advanced degrees, for the most part), they tend to be much more economically conservative than me, so it's not exactly a safe topic area. Same with religion. So, online forums are a good outlet for getting ideas off my chest and also for testing arguments before I trot them out in a setting where I'd be more sensitive to being caught in an error.

As for the nastiness, I'm fine with it, so long as it doesn't preclude discussion of substance. People can call me whatever they want, as long as they then engage on the facts and logic of what I've said, rather than just trying to derail things with personal insults. My usual approach is just to ignore the insult and respond to the substance, if there is any.

Talking politics at work would be problematic for me. Although almost nobody in my professional circle is a Trump supporter (we're talking about Ivy-educated people with advanced degrees, for the most part), they tend to be much more economically conservative than me, so it's not exactly a safe topic area. Same with religion. So, online forums are a good outlet for getting ideas off my chest and also for testing arguments before I trot them out in a setting where I'd be more sensitive to being caught in an error.

As for the nastiness, I'm fine with it, so long as it doesn't preclude discussion of substance. People can call me whatever they want, as long as they then engage on the facts and logic of what I've said, rather than just trying to derail things with personal insults. My usual approach is just to ignore the insult and respond to the substance, if there is any.

We were taught as kids that polite people never discussed money, religion, or politics except within the walls of our own castles. You especially did not do so at work! I'm sure that HR depts around the country would rejoice if we could all get back to that.

Awesome, I’m enjoying your posts immensely. You appear to be a very articulate young woman.

We were taught as kids that polite people never discussed money, religion, or politics except within the walls of our own castles. You especially did not do so at work! I'm sure that HR depts around the country would rejoice if we could all get back to that.

I'd love it if what everyone earns was publicly required to be available for everyone who works for the employer. Right now you have vastly uneven bargaining power, since employers know exactly what all the employees make, and yet employees are deliberately kept in the dark, so that the underpaid ones don't realize they could get a raise. Put everyone on an even playing field by making it public.

I'd love it if what everyone earns was publicly required to be available for everyone who works for the employer. Right now you have vastly uneven bargaining power, since employers know exactly what all the employees make, and yet employees are deliberately kept in the dark, so that the underpaid ones don't realize they could get a raise. Put everyone on an even playing field by making it public.

Unionized work places have that requirement, but for the vast majority of us, discussing salaries is often a punishable offense. Precisely for the reasons you mentioned.... can't get away with paying Jill less than Jack for the same work if Jill finds out about it.

I like it when it's relevant. Of all the things there are to know in the world, though, only a tiny fraction are of interest to me. I do not know how bad your hemorrhoids are today, for example, nor do I have any desire to know. Neither do I know how many studio albums Justin Bieber has released. The sexual orientation of people here, a propos of nothing, is in that category. However, since it apparently interests you, I'm bisexual.

Of course you are.

Awesome, I’m enjoying your posts immensely. You appear to be a very articulate young woman.

"She" appears to be a creation of one of the JPP liberals. Perhaps creating socks is a popular way for liberals to avoid threadbans, imbecile. Your incuriosity in this case is telling. Very telling.

If you wish to believe anything this sock tells you that is your choice.

Certainly NY is not as important for the economy as California, but, along with Texas, it's in that next tier. Texas has slightly larger GDP, while NY is a much bigger net contributor to the national coffers. It's certainly far more important than lots of other states. If, say, a super-volcano went off and killed everyone in Wyoming, the US would remain the planet's biggest and most important economy, barely skipping a beat. If the same thing happened in New York, we'd be crippled, since it's the financial hub of the nation and one of a few central economic hubs of the planet.

NY population 19+ million versus Wyoming population 579+ thousand is your comparison? That's a NY joke right? If you were serious that is undoubtedly the most ludicrous example ever.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm waiting for a sock that ticks all the victim boxes: black, female, trans, gay...

Remember "Rockin' Vegan Cupcake?" "She" ticked all but one of the boxes, and IIRC, also claimed to be from NYC.

This new sock substituted "Asian" for "Black."

Must be sock diversity in action.

Back