Highway Robbery. Texas Cops Seize INNOCENT Black Motorists Cash, Cars

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars

Suit says cops force motorists, largely black, to forfeit cash and cars—or be charged with trumped-up crimes

TENAHA, Texas— You can drive into this dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana border if you're African-American, but you might not be able to drive out of it—at least not with your car, your cash, your jewelry or other valuables.

That's because the police here allegedly have found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: voluntarily sign over your belongings to the town, or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

More than 140 people reluctantly accepted that deal from June 2006 to June 2008, according to court records. Among them were a black grandmother from Akron, who surrendered $4,000 in cash after Tenaha police pulled her over, and an interracial couple from Houston, who gave up more than $6,000 after police threatened to seize their children and put them into foster care, the court documents show. Neither the grandmother nor the couple were charged with any crime.

Officials in Tenaha, situated along a heavily traveled highway connecting Houston with popular gambling destinations in Louisiana, say they are engaged in a battle against drug trafficking and call the search-and-seizure practice a legitimate use of the state's asset-forfeiture law. That law permits local police agencies to keep drug money and other property used in the commission of a crime and add the proceeds to their budgets.

---

Jennifer Boatright, her husband and two young children—a mixed-race family—were traveling from Houston to visit relatives in east Texas in April 2007 when Tenaha police pulled them over, alleging that they were driving in a left-turn lane.

After searching the car, the officers discovered what Boatright said was a gift for her sister: a small, unused glass pipe made for smoking marijuana. Although they found no drugs or other contraband, the police seized $6,037 that Boatright said the family was carrying to purchase a used car—and then threatened to turn their children, ages 10 and 1, over to Child Protective Services if the couple didn't agree to sign over their right to their cash.

"It was give them the money or they were taking our kids," Boatright said. "They suggested that we never bring it up again. We figured we better give them our cash and get the hell out of there."

more at link --
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-texas-profiling_wittmar10,0,6051682.story

Damn, this is even worse than the Tulia scandal, and that was horrific!

I hope fervently that whoever is involved in this, from the top down, is convicted and sentenced to the longest, harshest, penalties possible -- after being required to make the fullest possible restitution to their victims, even if it takes the rest of their lives. This is reprehensible and that's a gross understatement.

To be clear, in no way was any of the above justified, but a question did pop into my mind... why in this day and age would anyone be carrying that much cash?

To be clear, in no way was any of the above justified, but a question did pop into my mind... why in this day and age would anyone be carrying that much cash?

The one family said they were going to buy a used car. I still would've gone for at least a postal money order ...

yeah, that is what Cashiers checks are for... carrying that much cash is insane.

In defense of carrying cash, when I have bought used cars I have been able to talk them down quite a bit with dollars in my hand.

Tougher to do with money orders or cashier's checks.

In defense of carrying cash, when I have bought used cars I have been able to talk them down quite a bit with dollars in my hand.

Tougher to do with money orders or cashier's checks.

I did the same thing last month... with my debit card. :) Damn old people... using cash... crazy I tell ya.... just plain crazy....:eek:

There are about a million reasons why someone would legally be carrying $6,000.00 .. which is not a large sum of money.

It has to do with empowering government. Get ready for a multiplication of same if your malignant ideology takes hold.

You are stupid .. this kind of shit has been happening in the south since its inception of this country.

Slavery, rape, torture, and every manner of unspeakable horror .. by your own definition, we should attribute that to democracy and capitalism.

You are stupid .. this kind of shit has been happening in the south since its inception of this country.

Slavery, rape, torture, and every manner of unspeakable horror .. by your own definition, e should attribute that to democracy and capitalism.

But they are using the overbearing power of government to intimidate. Accept it. learn.

But they are using the overbearing power of government to intimidate. Accept it. learn.

Go slam your head into a wall .. shake up those dormant brain cells.

The overbearing power of government .. democratic capitalist government .. has always been present throughout the south.

Truly, and I'm not just saying this .. you are stupid.

Go slam your head into a wall .. shake up those dormant brain cells.

The overbearing power of government .. democratic capitalist government .. has always been present in throughout the south.

Truly, and I'm not just saying this .. you are stupid.

So you see the correlation. Good for you.

Back