How Obama's Decision Hurt the CIA

TuTu Monroe

A Realist
This should be very disturbing to anyone who loves this country.

April 22, 2009By David Ignatius
WASHINGTON -- At the Central Intelligence Agency, it's known as "slow rolling." That's what agency officers sometimes do on politically sensitive assignments. They go through the motions; they pass cables back and forth; they take other jobs out of the danger zone; they cover their backsides.

Sad to say, it's slow roll time at Langley after the release of interrogation memos that, in the words of one veteran officer, "hit the agency like a car bomb in the driveway." President Obama promised CIA officers that they won't be prosecuted for carrying out lawful orders, but the people on the firing line don't believe him. They think the memos have opened a new season of investigation and retribution.

The lesson for younger officers is obvious: Keep your head down. Duck the assignments that carry political risk. Stay away from a counterterrorism program that has become a career hazard.

Obama tried personally to reassure the CIA work force during a visit to Langley Monday. He said all the right things about the agency's clandestine role. But it had the look of a campaign event, with employees hooting and hollering and the president reading from his teleprompter with a backdrop of stars that commemorate the CIA's fallen warriors.

But by Tuesday, Obama was deferring to the attorney general whether to prosecute "those who formulated those legal decisions," whatever that means.

Obama seems to think he can have it both ways -- authorizing an unprecedented disclosure of CIA operational methods and at the same time galvanizing a clandestine service whose best days, he told them Monday, are "yet to come." Life doesn't work that way -- even for charismatic politicians. Disclosure of the torture memos may have been necessary, as part of an overdue campaign to change America's image in the world. But nobody should pretend that the disclosures weren't costly to CIA morale and effectiveness.

Put yourself in the shoes of the people who were asked to interrogate al- Qaeda prisoners back in 2002. One former officer told me he declined the job, not because he thought the program was wrong, but because he knew it would blow up. "We all knew the political wind would change eventually," he recalled. Other officers who didn't make that cynical but correct calculation are now "broken and bewildered," says the former operative.

For a taste of what's ahead, recall the chilling effects of past CIA scandals. Back in 1995, then-Director John Deutch ordered a "scrub" of the agency's assets after revelations of past links to Guatemalan death squads. Officers were told they shouldn't jettison sources who had provided truly valuable intelligence. But the practical message, recalls one former division chief, was: "Don't deal with assets who could pose political risks."

One veteran counterterrorism operative says that agents in the field are already getting more careful about using the legal findings that authorize covert action. An example is the so-called "risk of capture" interview that takes place in the first hour after a terrorism suspect is grabbed. This used to be the key window of opportunity, in which the subject was questioned aggressively and his cell phone contacts and "pocket litter" were exploited quickly.

Now, field officers are more careful. They want guidance from headquarters. They need legal advice. I'm told that in the case of an al-Qaeda suspect seized in Iraq several weeks ago, the CIA didn't even try to interrogate him. They handed him over to the U.S. military.

Agency officials also worry about the effect on foreign intelligence services that share secrets with the U.S. in a process politely known as "liaison." A former official who remains in close touch with key Arab allies such as Egypt and Jordan warns: "There is a growing concern that the risk is too high to do the things with America they've done in the past."
If Obama means what he says about protecting the CIA work force and its operational edge, he must give up the idea that he can please everyone on this issue. He should recommend limits on any congressional inquiry and resist demands for a special prosecutor. Instead, he should push the White House's preferred alternative -- a commission that can review secret evidence behind closed doors, then report to the nation.
America will be better off, in the long run, for Obama's decision to expose the past practice of torture and ban its future use. But meanwhile, the country is fighting a war, and it needs to take care that the sunlight of exposure doesn't blind its shadow warriors.

davidignatius@washpost.com

why is that? I would think it would reinforce our servants to stop doing illegal shit.

Exactly.

And, of course, there is the small issue of Obama not simply electing to disclose the memoranda but being compelled to do so by court order in a FOIA lawsuit brought by the ACLU.

But facts never got in the way of the neocon shitsticks before, why should they now?

It is disturbing to me that The Bush administration did not comply with the court order for the release of information on this.

Very. It is clear that this administration will cause long term damage to this country in so many ways.

I guess I can sympathize with you somewhat. I was saying this exact thing about the Bush Administration. But at least I waited until they were in power for a little while, started passing laws like the PATRIOT Act, waging unjustified wars, gutting federal revenues and the like.

What has Obama done that makes it clear to you that he will cause long term damage to the country? He released memos that he didn't write about stuff that he didn't do in response to a court order? You people are fucked in the head.

What has Obama done that makes it clear to you that he will cause long term damage to the country? ....

Sucking up to dictators, refusal to take a hard line on rogue states, quadrupling of the national debt, punitive taxation policies, socialization of major economic sectors, demoralizing our military and covert operations agencies- all in a few short months. :cool:

Sucking up to dictators, refusal to take a hard line on rogue states, quadrupling of the national debt, punitive taxation policies, socialization of major economic sectors, demoralizing our military and covert operations agencies- all in a few short months. :cool:

Hilarious.

Irrefutably so.

Yes, Obama is "sucking up to dictators" by shaking hands. Are you really this much of a pansy? Seriously? I mean, I understand why idiots on TV make this kind of claim but I don't get it when normal people that aren't paid to shill say this kind of silliness.

And then you project your pansiness onto the military and "covert operations" by claiming they are being "demoralized." No. No they aren't. They aren't fucking pansies.

The rest of the stuff is pretty funny, too. Quadrupling the national debt? No. You meant deficit, not debt. Punitive taxation policies? Yeah, cutting taxes for 95% of the country is really punitive. Socializing major economic sectors? This one really throws me for a loop because the administration has gone out of its way not to nationalize the big finance guys and has really just socialized the risk.

Keep up the good work though. With stuff like this the GOP will be back in power in no time.

Yes, Obama is "sucking up to dictators" by shaking hands. Are you really this much of a pansy? Seriously? I mean, I understand why idiots on TV make this kind of claim but I don't get it when normal people that aren't paid to shill say this kind of silliness.

And then you project your pansiness onto the military and "covert operations" by claiming they are being "demoralized." No. No they aren't. They aren't fucking pansies.

The rest of the stuff is pretty funny, too. Quadrupling the national debt? No. You meant deficit, not debt. Punitive taxation policies? Yeah, cutting taxes for 95% of the country is really punitive. Socializing major economic sectors? This one really throws me for a loop because the administration has gone out of its way not to nationalize the big finance guys and has really just socialized the risk.

Keep up the good work though. With stuff like this the GOP will be back in power in no time.
I agree, with these daily disasters of your beloved Democrats the GOP will undoubtedly take over in 2010 and 12. :)

Calling it cutting taxes for 95% is very misleading. A good portion of this 95% never pay any taxes. They will get what I call a welfare check.

No, the poster is quite correct. It IS called a National Debt and from what I have been reading, the figure is low.

Would you prefer to exchange your income for the income of those who pay no taxes?

Look at your IRS booklet. Anyone who earns over $5 pays taxes. They may get it all back every year, but it's still being deducted from the paycheck.

Calling it cutting taxes for 95% is very misleading. A good portion of this 95% never pay any taxes. They will get what I call a welfare check.

No, the poster is quite correct. It IS called a National Debt and from what I have been reading, the figure is low.

Last edited:
The scary part is that he has only been in office a short time.
About 100 days- some honeymoon. He's done exactly what I wanted him to do though, gone Left as hard and fast as he can. As a result he's pissed off a lot of great Americans and the next election cycle won't be kind to his party. Hopefully the GOP will wake up as well and we'll get some true conservatives in office: real men who don't give a damn if some terrorist is uncomfortable and understand that once they break the laws of nations they lose their rights to be treated as soldiers.

Maybe it will take another terrorist attack on our soil. Maybe it will take a nuke. If a few thousand Americans have to die for us to wake up and smell the coffee then so be it.

Back