How should society deal with child predators?

How should society deal with child predators?

• Prison for life

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Prison term, depending upon the offence

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Put them to death quickly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Parade them through the streets and publicly kill them

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Not from me, depending on the proclivity. If acting on the proclivity harmed children I would be all for a "cure"!

Now I would be opposed to a cure for say, big toe obsession.
Many would. However if they could cure an attraction to kids, they could also "cure" homosexuality in all likelihood.

You would find opposition to this track of thought even just because of that.

I hate it when people try to equate homosexuality with child predation.

I mean, I really, really hate it.
I'm not trying to equate the two. And opposition to homosexuality is not in my nature. As you must know by now. I really hate it when somebody extrapolates a position contrary to my nature and what a shared past might give them to cause to pause before such an inane accusation.

I was just pointing out that if one were able to change a sexual proclivity, some group out there would use that same methodology to change another far more accepted proclivity. Because such groups exist who would use the methodology that way, there would be political opposition to a "cure".

I'm not trying to equate the two. And opposition to homosexuality is not in my nature. As you must know by now. I really hate it when somebody extrapolates a position contrary to my nature and what a shared past might give them to cause to pause before such an inane accusation.

I was just pointing out that if one were able to change a sexual proclivity, some group out there would use that same methodology to change another far more accepted proclivity. Because such groups exist who would use the methodology that way, there would be political opposition to a "cure".

I need the cure to lovin you, doctor, doctor!

I'm not trying to equate the two. And opposition to homosexuality is not in my nature. As you must know by now.

I don't think that's a realistic assessment. When someone is convicted of a crime like this, you would have very few, if any, who would protest such a 'cure' as part of the punishment.

I don't think that's a realistic assessment. When someone is convicted of a crime like this, you would have very few, if any, who would protest such a 'cure' as part of the punishment.
Again. It isn't protesting such a "cure", it would be against the methodology of the cure.

Let me put it this way.

Let's say the Haggards opened up a clinic to "cure" homosexuality. And with the same methodology used to "cure" pedophiles they were able to "cure" homosexuality and "normalize" them. Do you think they would resist using the methodology, because homosexuality is not a crime?

I think protests against the study of a method to "cure deviants" would meet with political opposition because of the extended and unintended consequences of the nature of the methodology.

I think that if we ever find some sort of "cure" to sociopathy, or pedophilia, it's application would look a lot more like brainwashing than anything else.

Well, if there were a way to change homosexuals to Hetrosexuals, (a cure), and an adult wanted to do it, dont you think that should be the individuals right?

Well, if there were a way to change homosexuals to Hetrosexuals, (a cure), and an adult wanted to do it, dont you think that should be the individuals right?
Again, that has little to do with my prediction of political opposition. There would be HUGE vociferous opposition to even working on the methodology of a chemical "cure" for "deviancy" because they would believe that some would use it to "cure" homosexuals.

You know how Kennedy led an innititatve to Go to the Moon "in this decade", back in the 60's. Well I would love if the next President would choose something grand, CURE CANCER, BECOME ENERGY INDEPENDENT, END HUNGER, MOVE TO A HIGHER STANDARD OF UNIVERSAL EDUCATION, in this decade. Something we can declare 'WAR' om, that would lead to a huge improvement in society.

You know how Kennedy led an innititatve to Go to the Moon "in this decade", back in the 60's. Well I would love if the next President would choose something grand, CURE CANCER, BECOME ENERGY INDEPENDENT, END HUNGER, MOVE TO A HIGHER STANDARD OF UNIVERSAL EDUCATION, in this decade. Something we can declare 'WAR' om, that would lead to a huge improvement in society.
Yup. I said, just after 9/11, that it was a perfect opportunity to do a "Moon-program like" program that would be used to get us off the oil teat.

Yup. I said, just after 9/11, that it was a perfect opportunity to do a "Moon-program like" program that would be used to get us off the oil teat.

SQUANDERED. Too bad Bush chose to build a new nation in Iraq instead.

Back