I Nearly Choked On My Coffee After This Fox News Host Suggested Workers Making $20/Hr

How about if it increased with productivity?

https://www.statista.com/statistics...nimum wage,has remained unchanged since 2009.

[FONT="]“In 2021, the minimum wage in the United States would be 22.88 U.S. dollars an hour if it grew with productivity. However, the current federal minimum wage in the United States 7.25 U.S. dollars an hour and has remained unchanged since 2009.”[/FONT]

It depends upon the job. It’s one thing to pay what the market will bear for computer programmers and airline pilots due to the higher educational requirements. It’s another to pay unskilled labor who can be replaced in a day. Businesses are not charities. They need to make a profit and the profit margin on fast food, as noted earlier, is slim.

Did you see where Red Lobster is considering bankruptcy?

It depends upon the job. It’s one thing to pay what the market will bear for computer programmers and airline pilots due to the higher educational requirements. It’s another to pay unskilled labor who can be replaced in a day. Businesses are not charities. They need to make a profit and the profit margin on fast food, as noted earlier, is slim.

Did you see where Red Lobster is considering bankruptcy?
The workers should receive a larger share, cut the pay of management. The ratio is ridiculous these days.
https://www.statista.com/statistics... it was estimated,key industry of their firm.

So let’s see

You expect 20 and 30 year olds don’t fall in love and desire to make a family?

Do you understand the economic chaos that would cause in the future?

Not to mention it’s insane to try and make young people not do what all of mankind’s ancestors were designed to do?

Listen to your self

Scrape it off dude

Have a heart

It plays well with testosterone

The best men that ever walked this earth had great big balls and a heart that outweighed them

Being a full man takes both

There is nothing like those kind of men

I’ve met a few

You're talking gibberish.

Just because two horny young dumbasses want to start a family knowing they cannot afford one, is no reason others should have to pay for it.

A lot of people (the ones with common sense) hold off for several years until they're financially stable enough to afford it.

But of course, as with everything else, you come down on the side of having no sense of responsibility.

The side of forcing employers to pay salaries much higher than the labor associated with them is worth, just so some precious bone heads can have anything and everything they want without ever having to sacrifice for it.

And I'm guessing because you feel that way, it makes you a kind, compassionate person who's always on the side of goodness and justice, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I think you're just virtue signaling. :thup:

The workers should receive a larger share, cut the pay of management. The ratio is ridiculous these days.

They should pay management less than the employees.

Or get rid of management altogether.

Let the high school kids run the places themselves.

They'd do such a better job of it. :rolleyes:

https://www.statista.com/statistics... it was estimated,key industry of their firm.
A federal law socializing private businesses setting the pay of all employees and profit margins….for the children?

In Behavioral modification, there were three types of incentives; Punishment, Negative Reinforcement and Positive Reinforcement. Punishment produces the fastest results as you’re advocating but short lasting and with the possibility of blowback (resentment). Negative reinforcement lasts longer but Positive reinforcement lasts the longest. The downside is that it takes longer to produce results.

I favor Positive reinforcement; offer rewards to businesses to pay workers a fair wage based upon the local economy. IMO, this should be set locally by the State and the Feds, in turn, should reward States who establish such systems. Rewards can be tax cuts, authorizing government projects or subsidies or other financial or physical incentives.

If the extremist proggies have their way and something doesn't change, they probably will eventually.

But only until the fast food restaurants all go out of business as a result of having to pay their employees $20 an hour.
Best thing that could ever happen to this nation.

That, and making soda illegal.

But it's already been proven that hourly wages won't be the reason.

Screenshot-20240417-191321-2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Institute

Kinda like hearing the praises of Donald Trump sung by Fox News hosts. :whome:
I always find it quaint when lazy people redact information that doesn't fit their bias.

As if you don't believe you will be checked. Now, you are free to refute the numbers posted by the Roosevelt Institute.

But you can't. So you offered very sloppy work.

• Overall, we rate the Roosevelt Institute strongly Left-Center biased based on advocacy and funding for Democratic causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.

They are very expensive machines and the installation is too. Any robot performing a repetitive motion will slowly loosen up its moorings. The end effectors and grippers will also loosen or wear down. They require continual expert maintenance and sanitation. They also can use a lot of power. If a piece breaks. how long would it be down waiting for a new part?
I remember decades ago bars were installing machines to dispense mixed drinks to cut down overpouring and inconsistent drinks. That faded away.
We had one in our area.

Patrons were disgusted by the overpriced drinks. If you're paying more money for less alcohol in your drink, there are plenty of other bars to frequent.

Actually, the way it is right now, the restaurants don't own the machines.

They have them installed for about $5,000, then rent them for $3,000 per month.

The company that owns the machines performs maintenance and upkeep.

The only restaurant employee needed is the one who keeps it stocked with ingredients during operating hours then cleans it after closing time.

According to Forbes, these machines cost the restaurant half as much as paying employees.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnko...ess-than-half-a-human-worker/?sh=6b380a153b9e

Screenshot-20240417-190348-2.jpg

[h=1]Robots Are Coming, but Restaurant Automation Is Far From Easy[/h]
[FONT=&quot]“But the other big challenge for restaurants, probably the biggest one, is just getting robots to do what they need to do in kitchens,” he continued. “It’s not as easy as it sounds to get a robot to do even the simple things like prepare French fries or flip burgers. It turns out that the things we thought were easy for robots to do are actually hard things for them to do because we have trained customers to order their food exactly the way they want it. Robots have a hard time customizing orders.”[/FONT]

The only reason we are having this discussion is because decades of outsourcing labor has created an issue re. quality jobs that pay a living wage.

Increased profits/dividends/share price are the only considerations with corporations.

We don't tax them, so there is no way to fund programs for those who cannot afford to exist on minimum wage.

Two words: Artificial Intelligence.

That’ll fix the “customizing orders” problem. :thup: The future will be in designing, maintaining and operating the machines.
Eventually. And then fast food chains will all go under either due to boycotts or due to people simply getting better food for a better price at a real restaurant.

It's already cheaper to eat real food than to eat fast food.

Eventually. And then fast food chains will all go under either due to boycotts or due to people simply getting better food for a better price at a real restaurant.

Soooo, within a year of mandatory $20/hour fast food pay?

Already happening in California. Restaurants like Chili's and Applebee's are seeing a big resurgence in customers who are inclined to pay roughly the same price for a better burger and the option to get a beer with it than eat at fast food.

Given that I will never eat fast food, and haven't since I was in my 20s, I really don't care much about the industry. As a casual observer of corporations in general, the greed is getting worse every year. Fast food chains have record profits due to increased pricing long before employees were looking for higher pay.

The pay hike is due in large part because the money is there. Rather than drive share price higher so that CEO compensation skyrockets, perhaps spending money on the help is a good idea?

These companies cry poverty in order to stimulate those who post in this thread.

Fast-Food Industry Markups and Profit Margins

Bravo!
:hand:

I always find it quaint when lazy people redact information that doesn't fit their bias.

As if you don't believe you will be checked. Now, you are free to refute the numbers posted by the Roosevelt Institute.

But you can't. So you offered very sloppy work.

Overall, we rate the Roosevelt Institute strongly Left-Center biased based on advocacy and funding for Democratic causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.

I always find it quaint when lazy people resort to snide little put downs like insinuations of laziness, etc, when they themselves are too lazy to formulate an actual response.

And I always find it quaint when lazy and DISHONEST people do things like misrepresent a quote as being from a source they claim was not completely and fully represented, when it was not from said source.

IOW, your quote that positively rates the Roosevelt Institute's accuracy of reporting, did not even come from the Wikipedia link I posted. But you accused me of purposely leaving it out or "redact(ing)" it.

That's so dishonest.

But enough of that.

Back to the subject.

The San Diego Union-Tribune asked 14 economists and executives the question: Is the negative effect of the $20 fast-food minimum wage overblown?

Only 5 out of 14 (3 economists and 2 executives) answered yes, that the negative effects of the new $20 minimum wage was overblown.

The rest, 9 out of 14, answered no, the negative effects are not being overblown.

I've only posted the NO answers because they agree with me and, well..... I'm so lazy.

But I've included the link so, if you're not too lazy, you can go find them yourself.

Q: Is the negative effect of the $20 fast-food minimum wage overblown?

Economists

James Hamilton, UC San Diego

NO: These are temporary jobs for people who need them. A recent survey found 1 in 8 Americans had worked for McDonald’s at some point in their lives. Now fewer of these jobs are going to be available in California. We’ll see some franchises close and fewer new ones get started. Restaurants that stay will automate more jobs and charge higher prices. Chalk 2024 up as another year when California has a higher inflation rate than the rest of the country.

Norm Miller, University of San Diego

NO: For essential (inelastic demand) goods, higher costs simply mean higher prices. For restaurants with discretionary demand, there will be consumer resistance to higher prices. Some will go out of business if prices are raised too high. Some fast-food places will invest in more automation replacing labor. The net result is that some workers in more efficient restaurants and higher demand locations will do better. Others will be let go. For those let go, this is a big deal.

David Ely, San Diego State University

NO: While researchers have not reached a consensus on the impact of raising the minimum wage, we should be attentive to the potential for serious negative effects, including higher fast-food prices, lower employment in the industry, and a shift toward automation. The impact will extend to other restaurants as they are pressured to match wages to retain workers. The newly created Fast Food Council has the power to increase the fast-food minimum wage beyond $20.

Ray Major, SANDAG

NO: Average profit margins for fast-food restaurants are around 5 to 8 percent. Labor represents approximately 30 percent of restaurant costs, and there is no way that they can absorb a 25 percent cost increase in labor without putting their business at risk. Costs will be passed to consumers through price increases as evidenced by $15 burger meal combos and the $6 6-inch Subway sandwich “deal.” Gone are the days of the $5 footlong deal.

Kelly Cunningham, San Diego Institute for Economic Research

NO: Raising the cost of labor above the value a worker generates for an employer will reduce employment and fall hardest on those having the least skills. When the job is eliminated or never created, the workers’ effective wage becomes $0. Focusing only on certain industries while allowing exemptions for some businesses distorts the labor market and will lead to unintended consequences, compounding expenses, and overwhelming the individual increase of wage rate imposed for some jobs.

Executives

Jamie Moraga, Franklin Revere

NO: Companies won’t absorb this increase; they raised prices in response. Consumers will also see higher service charges, reductions in food portions, less service and store closures. Companies will continue to pivot to automation, which can eliminate jobs, cut hours, and reduce benefits and compensation. Californians already have the highest prices across the board, and there’s no end in sight. The lack of affordability will drive both residents and businesses out of the state.

Haney Hong, San Diego County Taxpayers Association

NO: Money doesn’t grow on trees, and it’s coming from somewhere in the economy. We continue to see widening income inequality and growing poverty in California. Let’s not forget that recently many of us here thought that San Diego’s population was going to continue shrinking. The impacts are yet to be seen, and if this was intended to help the working poor, all the recent minimum wage increases don’t have a lot to show for it.

Phil Blair, Manpower

NO: We are naïve if we think mandated programs that increase the cost of doing business will not be passed on to consumers. Fast-food companies that are affected have two choices — raise prices or cut staffing levels. Or both. This mandate is especially unfair since it covers only large national chains and not middle or small operators. Legislation that targets one group of workers for increased benefits and not others seems innately unfair. Plus, labor supply and demand would have moved these workers up to this level on its own very soon.

Bob Rauch, R.A. Rauch & Associates

NO: Minimum wage increases for fast-food workers impact wages throughout the organization and market. They hurt the most vulnerable and harm total compensation as employers cut hours, reduce benefits, automate, or close. Minimum wage hikes result in fewer jobs, fewer hours, fewer benefits, and less consistent hours. Minimum wage increases also destroy teen job opportunities and cause prices to rise. Expanding job opportunities through pro-growth policies raises wages for all. Imagine if California did that.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...increase will,their consumption of fast foods.

[h=1]Robots Are Coming, but Restaurant Automation Is Far From Easy[/h]

“But the other big challenge for restaurants, probably the biggest one, is just getting robots to do what they need to do in kitchens,” he continued. “It’s not as easy as it sounds to get a robot to do even the simple things like prepare French fries or flip burgers. It turns out that the things we thought were easy for robots to do are actually hard things for them to do because we have trained customers to order their food exactly the way they want it. Robots have a hard time customizing orders.”

The article you linked contained mostly positive views of restaurant robotics, but you chose to post only one paragraph that continued negative views.

Hmmmmm....... :thinking:

Sloppy work.

Back