If evolution is teh realz then why is not it happeningg nows?

No matter how much you stomp and cry, ID is simply not science. And if it is not science, it should never be taught in a science class.

How do you know this is true? Isn't it more accurate to say, ID is not science as you currently know and understand science? See, it goes back to the 'human arrogance' thing, we humans tend to believe we know all there is to know, and if something doesn't conform to what we know, well then, it's just not possible. Science isn't supposed to make this conclusion. If science were bound to only what man currently knows, think of the many scientific discoveries which might have never occurred?

Anti-matter, black holes, dark energy... science as we currently know science, can't explain these things. Does that mean we shouldn't teach about them? Does that mean they can't be possible? Does it even mean there isn't a scientific explanation which science simply hasn't yet discovered? Before you stomp and cry that something "isn't science" because it can't be "tested" by current scientific knowledge, you need to think about how that would apply to a number of things science has discovered, which previously, science couldn't "test" or understand.

How do you know this is true? Isn't it more accurate to say, ID is not science as you currently know and understand science? See, it goes back to the 'human arrogance' thing, we humans tend to believe we know all there is to know, and if something doesn't conform to what we know, well then, it's just not possible. Science isn't supposed to make this conclusion. If science were bound to only what man currently knows, think of the many scientific discoveries which might have never occurred?

Anti-matter, black holes, dark energy... science as we currently know science, can't explain these things. Does that mean we shouldn't teach about them? Does that mean they can't be possible? Does it even mean there isn't a scientific explanation which science simply hasn't yet discovered? Before you stomp and cry that something "isn't science" because it can't be "tested" by current scientific knowledge, you need to think about how that would apply to a number of things science has discovered, which previously, science couldn't "test" or understand.

Its not human arrogance, its called science. Should we rewrite the rules of science just so someone can feel better about their faith? The entire notion of ID is unscientific.

When we discovered black holes, we started searching for answers about the phenomenon. And there will be answers. With ID, however, the fact that a deity is given credit for the foundation of it all means that further searching is unnecessary. If God created it with the clap of his hands, why look for any other answers.

ID is not science. Since humans created science as a tool to explain our world, it is not human arrogance it is human science. If you want to refer to it as human science, so as to differentiate between it and divine science, so be it.

Since we were talking about teaching human science in human public schools, any attempt to teach divine science is simply wrong.

Does that help?

Work on getting them to teach ID in a Comparative Religion class. That was discussed and seemed to be agreeable enough a solution.

Its not human arrogance, its called science. Should we rewrite the rules of science just so someone can feel better about their faith? The entire notion of ID is unscientific.

Yes, it IS human arrogance. You assume that since science as we currently know and understand science, can't offer an explanation, something is impossible or non-scientific. That is simply arrogant!

When we discovered black holes, we started searching for answers about the phenomenon. And there will be answers. With ID, however, the fact that a deity is given credit for the foundation of it all means that further searching is unnecessary. If God created it with the clap of his hands, why look for any other answers.

Yes, but before we discovered black holes, science as we then knew and understood science, would have said black holes are impossible, they defy the laws of physics as we understood them. Let's touch on this "deity" thing once more... ID doesn't attribute origin to a deity, just to intelligence. ID also doesn't profess that God "clapped his hands" and created life. These are rhetorical statements intended to diminish the theory itself.

ID is not science. Since humans created science as a tool to explain our world, it is not human arrogance it is human science. If you want to refer to it as human science, so as to differentiate between it and divine science, so be it.

No, I want to differentiate between science we currently know and understand and science we don't currently know or understand. I challenge the statement "ID is not science" because you don't have empirical scientific knowledge, science doesn't know everything, so you are making an inaccurate conclusion. Science doesn't conclude.

Since we were talking about teaching human science in human public schools, any attempt to teach divine science is simply wrong.

We're talking about teaching information in school. There is no such thing as "divine science" and again, you invoke a term to diminish something you simply don't understand and can't explain. I imagine when Copernicus and Galileo were peering into the skies, forming their theories, there were arrogant humans like you, who scoffed at their work, claimed it was a bunch of hocus pocus and nonsense, and refused to accept it.

Work on getting them to teach ID in a Comparative Religion class. That was discussed and seemed to be agreeable enough a solution.

It needs to be taught in the same class we teach about the origin of life in the universe. Not taught as a "fact" or "conclusion", but as a possible theory and explanation, just as Abiogenesis is a possible theory and explanation. We don't KNOW the facts, we can't make a conclusion! ID isn't purely a religious belief, there is a basis for the concept and evidence to support it as science. You want to conclude, since science can't "test" it, or because science as we currently understand science, can't explain it, then it's not science, and that is nonsense.

Yes, it IS human arrogance. You assume that since science as we currently know and understand science, can't offer an explanation, something is impossible or non-scientific. That is simply arrogant!

Yes, but before we discovered black holes, science as we then knew and understood science, would have said black holes are impossible, they defy the laws of physics as we understood them. Let's touch on this "deity" thing once more... ID doesn't attribute origin to a deity, just to intelligence. ID also doesn't profess that God "clapped his hands" and created life. These are rhetorical statements intended to diminish the theory itself.

No, I want to differentiate between science we currently know and understand and science we don't currently know or understand. I challenge the statement "ID is not science" because you don't have empirical scientific knowledge, science doesn't know everything, so you are making an inaccurate conclusion. Science doesn't conclude.

We're talking about teaching information in school. There is no such thing as "divine science" and again, you invoke a term to diminish something you simply don't understand and can't explain. I imagine when Copernicus and Galileo were peering into the skies, forming their theories, there were arrogant humans like you, who scoffed at their work, claimed it was a bunch of hocus pocus and nonsense, and refused to accept it.

It needs to be taught in the same class we teach about the origin of life in the universe. Not taught as a "fact" or "conclusion", but as a possible theory and explanation, just as Abiogenesis is a possible theory and explanation. We don't KNOW the facts, we can't make a conclusion! ID isn't purely a religious belief, there is a basis for the concept and evidence to support it as science. You want to conclude, since science can't "test" it, or because science as we currently understand science, can't explain it, then it's not science, and that is nonsense.

Dixie, you keep pressing to have a theory taught in science class that does not fit the scientific method or model. You expect us to rewrite the entire scientific method and model just to satisfy a religious explanation??

As we currently understand science is the ONLY way science can be taught.

ID is based in religion. For there to be intelligent design there must be a designer. And that designer must be capable of creating matter, creating life, and doing so without leaving a trace of the origins. Besides a deity, what else could it be?

Science is what it is. To suggest that we rewrite the entire system just to accomodate people's religions is seriously arrogant.

When you and I have discussed topics relating to faith, you continually complain that it is the atheists who are forcing their beliefs on the theists. And yet here you are expecting the entire scientific world to rewrite their long standing and functional methodology just because it doesn't allow for the effects of somethiung that cannot be documented, observed, tested, recreated, described or even shown to exist in any form.

No Dixie, that is the height of arrogance. Your ID is a great philisophical idea, but it is not science. And science is not going to change because someone thinks magic is involved.

Does that help?

Again, you've hit the nail on the head. The biggest flaw with ID is that it is a science stopper.

Bullshit....Its been SPECIFICALLY stated in plain English in a number of posts that one can certainly believe in God, be a Christian and believe in the process of evolution, as many scientists, priests, rabbis, and ministers do....

If you'd shut your pie hole and read whats posted you would be aware of that...
Evolution and religion are not mutually exclusive beliefs....

and if you have the patience to read and think before you open yours I never claimed they were. I stated that there are those who do believe in this false paradigm and that is true.

You really ought to leave the discussion of science and philosophy to those of us who know what they are doing. You obvsiously have nothing to add to this discussion.

Dixie, you keep pressing to have a theory taught in science class that does not fit the scientific method or model. You expect us to rewrite the entire scientific method and model just to satisfy a religious explanation??

As we currently understand science is the ONLY way science can be taught.

ID is based in religion. For there to be intelligent design there must be a designer. And that designer must be capable of creating matter, creating life, and doing so without leaving a trace of the origins. Besides a deity, what else could it be?

Science is what it is. To suggest that we rewrite the entire system just to accomodate people's religions is seriously arrogant.

When you and I have discussed topics relating to faith, you continually complain that it is the atheists who are forcing their beliefs on the theists. And yet here you are expecting the entire scientific world to rewrite their long standing and functional methodology just because it doesn't allow for the effects of somethiung that cannot be documented, observed, tested, recreated, described or even shown to exist in any form.

No Dixie, that is the height of arrogance. Your ID is a great philisophical idea, but it is not science. And science is not going to change because someone thinks magic is involved.

You continue to make the erroneous connection between ID and Religion. I'm sorry, but this is just an invalid assumption on your part. I even gave you an example of a "non-deity" form of intelligence, which might have designed life. An alien civilization much more "scientifically" advanced than we are, who perhaps didn't have their planet destroyed four times since the beginning of the universe and have to start over again. Perhaps that is the source of intelligence? This would not conform to your assumption of a deity, would it?

You also continue to argue that because something doesn't conform to science (and physics) as we know them, they must not be possible. Do you not believe black holes are real? Can science and physics as we know and understand them, explain black holes? Do black holes meet the criteria of this "scientific method" you keep yammering about? Does it mean we should refrain from teaching about black holes? It would seem you are making the exact same argument here, except you are erroneously attempting to connect religious belief to ID, and use that as a basis to deny the possibility.

I get that you are anti-religious and don't believe in God. I understand you don't think God created the heaven's and the earth, as the Bible says. I don't understand your insulate attitude toward knowledge. I don't understand how you can refute something without a basis to refute it. And I especially don't understand how you can continue to claim that something "isn't science" when you will admit that science doesn't know everything, and is inconclusive. What I take away from this is, you don't like religion, you want to trash anything remotely associated with religious belief, and since ID seems to coincide with religious belief, you want to trash ID as well.

The possibility that life just randomly created itself, is absurd. There is no basis in science to believe this. In fact, it contradicts everything we know and understand about science and physics, to conclude such a thing.

You continue to make the erroneous connection between ID and Religion. I'm sorry, but this is just an invalid assumption on your part. I even gave you an example of a "non-deity" form of intelligence, which might have designed life. An alien civilization much more "scientifically" advanced than we are, who perhaps didn't have their planet destroyed four times since the beginning of the universe and have to start over again. Perhaps that is the source of intelligence? This would not conform to your assumption of a deity, would it?

You also continue to argue that because something doesn't conform to science (and physics) as we know them, they must not be possible. Do you not believe black holes are real? Can science and physics as we know and understand them, explain black holes? Do black holes meet the criteria of this "scientific method" you keep yammering about? Does it mean we should refrain from teaching about black holes? It would seem you are making the exact same argument here, except you are erroneously attempting to connect religious belief to ID, and use that as a basis to deny the possibility.

I get that you are anti-religious and don't believe in God. I understand you don't think God created the heaven's and the earth, as the Bible says. I don't understand your insulate attitude toward knowledge. I don't understand how you can refute something without a basis to refute it. And I especially don't understand how you can continue to claim that something "isn't science" when you will admit that science doesn't know everything, and is inconclusive. What I take away from this is, you don't like religion, you want to trash anything remotely associated with religious belief, and since ID seems to coincide with religious belief, you want to trash ID as well.

The possibility that life just randomly created itself, is absurd. There is no basis in science to believe this. In fact, it contradicts everything we know and understand about science and physics, to conclude such a thing.

Dixie! It doesn't matter because it's not science and just because a lay person like you doesn't understand that science doesn't mean that we are obligated to change the standards of our profession to teach something that we know not to be science. Certainly not to meet the sensibilities of an uninformed lay person such as your self.

The only useful purpose I can think of for teaching ID in a biology class room would be to instruct student on what a psuedoscience is using ID as an example.

Looks like that is two topics in one post that show you to be wrong.

I am not anti-religion. But we have been thru this, and you are just trying to distract.

Now, either ID is about a deity or its about something that is equally unknown and that we have no way to quantify. The result is the same.

You bring up black holes in several posts. How do we know about black holes, Dixie? By observation? And if you think back to my post about scientific terminology, it all starts with observations.

Has there been any documentable observations that support ID?

It still boils down to you wanting to change the rules to suit your pet theory. And thats bullshit. There are things that science cannot explain. This is freely admitted by every decent scientist out there.

But they do not propose to throw out the rules just so they can have a nice pat theory that works. They keep doing research.

Its not science, Dixie. And science should not be rewritten just so you can claim it is.

Teach it in another class, but not in science class.

I am not anti-religion. But we have been thru this, and you are just trying to distract.

I believe you are anti-religious, or perhaps anti-Christian religion. It is the only basis you have for not supporting teaching our children the information of the world. No one is suggesting ID be taught as a fact! No one is claiming that ID should hold some superior status as a theory over other theories! No one is even arguing that ID should be taught as if it were based on the same scientific method of other theories! But ID is indeed a theory out there, and why would we oppose educating our children regarding this information? The only reason I can conclude is, an anti-religious agenda, designed to censor information not conducive with Atheist belief. That isn't what education is about.

Now, either ID is about a deity or its about something that is equally unknown and that we have no way to quantify. The result is the same.

Perhaps, but just because we don't know something, doesn't mean it's impossible. At one time, men didn't know how to fly! At one time, men didn't know you could sail around the world! At one time, men didn't know you could control and harness electricity or fire! We didn't have a way to quantify those things, we didn't understand them, we had no scientific enlightenment or wisdom regarding them. Black holes are a good example of present-day anomaly we simply don't yet understand. The fact that we can't quantify, can't "test" or can't imagine the possibility of something, doesn't mean it's impossible! That is an arrogant and ignorant human behavioral trait.

You bring up black holes in several posts. How do we know about black holes, Dixie? By observation? And if you think back to my post about scientific terminology, it all starts with observations.

Before we ever observed a black hole, before they were ever discovered, our understanding of physics and science, indicated they were not possible. They defy our known principles of physics and science, and we still don't understand why. We have indeed observed them, but if we hadn't, and you and I were having this conversation about the possibility of black holes, you would be telling me the possibility shouldn't be taught about in schools, because they aren't scientific.

There are indeed observable attributes of ID. First, there is the observation that complex and diverse systems do not come about through randomness. There is the observation that 1+1=2, not a random number. There is the observation that anything which works together in an organized systematic and flawless manner, dependent on many components, is the result of intelligent design. It simply defies any logic, reason, or science, to conclude life originated by pure chance and randomness.

It still boils down to you wanting to change the rules to suit your pet theory. And thats bullshit. There are things that science cannot explain. This is freely admitted by every decent scientist out there.

I don't want to change any rules, I haven't asked for a rules change. Since you admit that there are things science can't explain, why would ID not be one of those possible things? Before you can dismiss it, you have to prove this, and you haven't so far.

But they do not propose to throw out the rules just so they can have a nice pat theory that works. They keep doing research.

Again, no one is throwing out the rules except you. In your view, we should dismiss the possibility that intelligence designed life! Where does science give you the authority to do this?

Its not science, Dixie. And science should not be rewritten just so you can claim it is.

Again, you can't say that "it's not science" unless you proclaim to know and understand all there is to know in the universe we live in, which you can't possibly do. Based on what science currently knows, perhaps this is the case, but as you've already said, science doesn't know everything.

It should be taught wherever they teach about theories regarding origin of life. If that is some other class besides science, then so be it. I would think, it should be taught right along side Abiogenesis and other theories of how life originated. AGAIN FOR CLARIFICATION: Not taught as a FACT, just a theory, one of many. Students can decide on their own, what they believe, of if they believe ANY of the theories. There IS the possibility we are ALL wrong! Perhaps "life" has always existed in some form within our universe, and no intelligence created it, nor did it just "happen randomly" on our planet? The point is, we really don't know the answers, and probably never will... but to stubbornly refuse to accept possibility is arrogant and ignorant, and not productive to the advancement of our civilization.

Dixie's new standard for what should be taught in science class is "well, it's not impossible!" It doesn't matter if you cant test it or if it doesn't conform to what science is. If it's not impossible it's good enough. Brilliant!

By the way, your characterization of evolutionary theory as describing complex systems coming about from "randomness" is totally ignorant.

I believe you are anti-religious, or perhaps anti-Christian religion. It is the only basis you have for not supporting teaching our children the information of the world. No one is suggesting ID be taught as a fact! No one is claiming that ID should hold some superior status as a theory over other theories! No one is even arguing that ID should be taught as if it were based on the same scientific method of other theories! But ID is indeed a theory out there, and why would we oppose educating our children regarding this information? The only reason I can conclude is, an anti-religious agenda, designed to censor information not conducive with Atheist belief. That isn't what education is about.
I believe that you want me to be anti-religion, and especially anti-christian. That way you can claim to be right because I am just completely biased and trying to stop religion. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am a very spiritual person. I am also one for the truth, whereever that might lead.

The only basis I have for not wanting ND taught in science class is that it does not fit any scientific model. That would mean that you would teach everything according to one standard, until it came time to teach ID and another standard would be used so it could be included.

The only basis you for selecting ID over Evolution is your idea that very complex system could not happen by themselves.

And yet you completely ignore the fact that life started as a very simple system, and gradually became more complex. One of the popular arguments against evolution by the ID advocates is the claim that the eye could not have evolved, as it is interdependent and has far too many parts. And yet there is a clear line from the most complex animal eyes down to the light sensitive spots on planeria. In that line there are eyes with fewer parts, less interdependent parts, and differently arranged parts.

As for the origins of life, the idea that it happened by chance is not so far fetched. the primordial soup contained the elements necessary. And considering the immense surface area (over 197 million square miles), and the constant heat and energy from the planet and atmosphere, it is quite possible.

A single square millimeter could contain numerous colonies of bacteria.

The surface of the earth is over 510 million square kilometers. Which means there are over 510,000,000,000,000,000,000 square millimeters on the surface of our planet. And you claim that it is virtually impossible to have a certain combination of chemicals and energy happen in any tiny portion of one of those? And that this huge area being churned and stirred for eons, would never once have the right combination???

No Dixie, its easy to see the possibilities of the origins of life and quite easy to see evolution as the simplest answer.

Intelligent Design is Empirically Testable and Makes Predictions
By Jay Richards and Jonathan Witt
Among the many, many errors in Judge John Jones’ Dover vs. Kitzmiller opinion is the charge that intelligent design (ID) makes no empirically testable claims (see pp. 66 ff.). Similarly, other ID critics assert that intelligent design makes no testable predictions.1 In fact, intelligent design fulfills both criteria since it makes numerous empirically testable predictions.

It’s true that there’s no way to falsify the bare assertion that a cosmic designer exists. Nevertheless, the specific design arguments currently in play are empirically testable, even falsifiable,2 and involve testable predictions.

Consider the argument that Michael Behe makes in his book Darwin’s Black Box. There he proposes that design is detectable in many “molecular machines,” including the bacterial flagellum. Behe argues that this tiny flagellar motor needs all of its parts to function—is “irreducibly complex.” Such systems in our experience are a hallmark of designed systems, because they require the foresight that is the exclusive jurisdiction of intelligent agents. Darwin’s mechanism of natural selection and random variations, in contrast, requires a functional system at each transition along the way. Natural selection can select for present but not for future function.

Notice that Behe’s argument, contra the assertions of Judge Jones and the ACLU’s expert witnesses, rests not on ignorance or on a purely negative argument against Neo-Darwinism, but on what we know about designed systems, the causal powers of intelligent agents, and on our growing knowledge of the cellular world and its many mechanisms.

Behe predicts that scientists will not uncover a continuously functional Darwinian pathway from a simple precursor to the bacterial flagellum and, moreover, any detailed evolutionary pathway that is articulated will presuppose other irreducibly complex systems. How does one test and discredit Behe’s claims? Describe a realistic, continuously functional Darwinian pathway from simple ancestor to present motor. The flagellum might still be designed, but Behe’s means of detecting such design would have been falsified.

Darwinists like Kenneth Miller point to the hope of future discoveries, and to the type III secretory system as a machine possibly co-opted on the evolutionary path to the flagellum. The argument is riddled with problems, but it shows that Miller, at least, understands perfectly well that Behe’s argument is testable.

Miller tried to sidestep this obvious point in his expert testimony at the Dover trial by conceding that Behe’s argument was testable but insisting that it was a purely negative argument against Neo-Darwinism, not a positive case for intelligent design. This is mere wishful thinking on Miller’s part. Behe’s argument is also based on positive evidence for design. Behe points to strongly positive grounds for inferring design from the presence of irreducibly complex machines and circuits. This testable evidence is so powerful, so nearly ubiquitous, that it is often overlooked. Go out and find irreducibly complex machines, then find out, where possible, their causal history. Again and again one will find that the irreducibly complex machines (mousetraps, motors, etc.) were designed by intelligent agents. Indeed, every time we know the causal history of an irreducibly complex system, it always turns out to have been the product of an intelligent cause.

Miller has conceded that Behe's irreducible complexity argument is testable. And we see that Miller's assertion that scientists have tested and falsified Behe's argument is itself false. Finally, Behe and other design theorists like Scott Minnich and Stephen Meyer have offered positive evidence for the design of the flagellum based on standard uniformitarian reasoning, reasoning well established in science.

To move from biology to astronomy and cosmology, in The Privileged Planet, Guillermo Gonzalez and Jay Richards describe how to falsify their design argument. They suggest that there is a correlation between the conditions needed for life and the conditions needed for diverse types of scientific discovery, and suggest that such a correlation, if true, points to intelligent design. They write:

The most decisive way to falsify our argument as a whole would be to find a distant and very different environment, which, while quite hostile to life, nevertheless offers a superior platform for making as many diverse scientific discoveries as does our local environment. The opposite of this would have the same effect—finding an extremely habitable and inhabited place that was a lousy platform for observation.
Less devastating but still relevant would be discoveries that contradict individual parts of our argument. Most such discoveries would also show that the conditions for habitability of complex life are much wider and more diverse than we claim. For instance, discovering intelligent life inside a gas giant with an opaque atmosphere, near an X-ray emitting star in the Galactic center, or on a planet without a dark night would do it serious damage. Or take a less extreme example. We suggested in Chapter 1 that conditions that produce perfect solar eclipses also contribute to the habitability of a planetary environment. Thus, if intelligent extraterrestrial beings exist, they probably enjoy good to perfect solar eclipses. However, if we find complex, intelligent, indigenous life on a planet without a largish natural satellite, this plank in our argument would collapse.

Our argument presupposes that all complex life, at least in this universe, will almost certainly be based on carbon. Find a non-carbon based life form, and one of our presuppositions collapses. It’s clear that a number of discoveries would either directly or indirectly contradict our argument.

Similarly, there are future discoveries that would count in favor of it. Virtually any discovery in astrobiology is likely to bear on our argument one way or the other. If we find still more strict conditions that are important for habitability, this will strengthen our case.

So contemporary arguments for intelligent design in both biology and the physical sciences are not only testable; they make predictions and are falsifiable in principle. Of course, if the arguments are true, then they are falsifiable only in principle, but not in fact (hardly a weakness in a scientific theory). We have given only two examples here. There are many other design arguments in biology, origin-of-life studies, and paleontology that are also empirically testable and that make predictions. Therefore, honest commentators should stop claiming that ID is empirically untestable, or that it makes no predictions. The claim itself has been tested and falsified. It’s time to move on to other and more pertinent aspects of the debate over intelligent design.

NOTES:
1. Philosophers of science now know that "prediction" is too narrow a criterion to describe all scientific theorizing. Empirical testability is the more appropriate criterion.

2. "Empirical testability," "falsifiability," and "confirmability" aren't synonyms. "Empirical testability" is the genus, of which falsification and confirmation are species. Something is empirically testable when it is either falsifiable, confirmable, or both. Moreover, something can be confirmable but not falsifiable, as with the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) or the existence of a cosmic designer. Both of these claims are still empirically testable. Further, recent work in the philosophy of science has revealed the degree to which high level scientific theories tend to resist simple refutation. As a result, Karl Popper’s criterion of “falsifiability,” which most commentators seem to presuppose, was rejected by most philosophers of science decades ago as a litmus test for science. Nevertheless, it’s certainly a virtue of scientific proposals to be able to say what evidence would count against it.

Intelligent Design is Empirically Testable and Makes Predictions
By Jay Richards and Jonathan Witt
Among the many, many errors in Judge John Jones’ Dover vs. Kitzmiller opinion is the charge that intelligent design (ID) makes no empirically testable claims (see pp. 66 ff.). Similarly, other ID critics assert that intelligent design makes no testable predictions.1 In fact, intelligent design fulfills both criteria since it makes numerous empirically testable predictions.

It’s true that there’s no way to falsify the bare assertion that a cosmic designer exists. Nevertheless, the specific design arguments currently in play are empirically testable, even falsifiable,2 and involve testable predictions.

Consider the argument that Michael Behe makes in his book Darwin’s Black Box. There he proposes that design is detectable in many “molecular machines,” including the bacterial flagellum. Behe argues that this tiny flagellar motor needs all of its parts to function—is “irreducibly complex.” Such systems in our experience are a hallmark of designed systems, because they require the foresight that is the exclusive jurisdiction of intelligent agents. Darwin’s mechanism of natural selection and random variations, in contrast, requires a functional system at each transition along the way. Natural selection can select for present but not for future function.

Notice that Behe’s argument, contra the assertions of Judge Jones and the ACLU’s expert witnesses, rests not on ignorance or on a purely negative argument against Neo-Darwinism, but on what we know about designed systems, the causal powers of intelligent agents, and on our growing knowledge of the cellular world and its many mechanisms.

Behe predicts that scientists will not uncover a continuously functional Darwinian pathway from a simple precursor to the bacterial flagellum and, moreover, any detailed evolutionary pathway that is articulated will presuppose other irreducibly complex systems. How does one test and discredit Behe’s claims? Describe a realistic, continuously functional Darwinian pathway from simple ancestor to present motor. The flagellum might still be designed, but Behe’s means of detecting such design would have been falsified.

Darwinists like Kenneth Miller point to the hope of future discoveries, and to the type III secretory system as a machine possibly co-opted on the evolutionary path to the flagellum. The argument is riddled with problems, but it shows that Miller, at least, understands perfectly well that Behe’s argument is testable.

Miller tried to sidestep this obvious point in his expert testimony at the Dover trial by conceding that Behe’s argument was testable but insisting that it was a purely negative argument against Neo-Darwinism, not a positive case for intelligent design. This is mere wishful thinking on Miller’s part. Behe’s argument is also based on positive evidence for design. Behe points to strongly positive grounds for inferring design from the presence of irreducibly complex machines and circuits. This testable evidence is so powerful, so nearly ubiquitous, that it is often overlooked. Go out and find irreducibly complex machines, then find out, where possible, their causal history. Again and again one will find that the irreducibly complex machines (mousetraps, motors, etc.) were designed by intelligent agents. Indeed, every time we know the causal history of an irreducibly complex system, it always turns out to have been the product of an intelligent cause.

Miller has conceded that Behe's irreducible complexity argument is testable. And we see that Miller's assertion that scientists have tested and falsified Behe's argument is itself false. Finally, Behe and other design theorists like Scott Minnich and Stephen Meyer have offered positive evidence for the design of the flagellum based on standard uniformitarian reasoning, reasoning well established in science.

To move from biology to astronomy and cosmology, in The Privileged Planet, Guillermo Gonzalez and Jay Richards describe how to falsify their design argument. They suggest that there is a correlation between the conditions needed for life and the conditions needed for diverse types of scientific discovery, and suggest that such a correlation, if true, points to intelligent design. They write:

The most decisive way to falsify our argument as a whole would be to find a distant and very different environment, which, while quite hostile to life, nevertheless offers a superior platform for making as many diverse scientific discoveries as does our local environment. The opposite of this would have the same effect—finding an extremely habitable and inhabited place that was a lousy platform for observation.
Less devastating but still relevant would be discoveries that contradict individual parts of our argument. Most such discoveries would also show that the conditions for habitability of complex life are much wider and more diverse than we claim. For instance, discovering intelligent life inside a gas giant with an opaque atmosphere, near an X-ray emitting star in the Galactic center, or on a planet without a dark night would do it serious damage. Or take a less extreme example. We suggested in Chapter 1 that conditions that produce perfect solar eclipses also contribute to the habitability of a planetary environment. Thus, if intelligent extraterrestrial beings exist, they probably enjoy good to perfect solar eclipses. However, if we find complex, intelligent, indigenous life on a planet without a largish natural satellite, this plank in our argument would collapse.

Our argument presupposes that all complex life, at least in this universe, will almost certainly be based on carbon. Find a non-carbon based life form, and one of our presuppositions collapses. It’s clear that a number of discoveries would either directly or indirectly contradict our argument.

Similarly, there are future discoveries that would count in favor of it. Virtually any discovery in astrobiology is likely to bear on our argument one way or the other. If we find still more strict conditions that are important for habitability, this will strengthen our case.

So contemporary arguments for intelligent design in both biology and the physical sciences are not only testable; they make predictions and are falsifiable in principle. Of course, if the arguments are true, then they are falsifiable only in principle, but not in fact (hardly a weakness in a scientific theory). We have given only two examples here. There are many other design arguments in biology, origin-of-life studies, and paleontology that are also empirically testable and that make predictions. Therefore, honest commentators should stop claiming that ID is empirically untestable, or that it makes no predictions. The claim itself has been tested and falsified. It’s time to move on to other and more pertinent aspects of the debate over intelligent design.

NOTES:
1. Philosophers of science now know that "prediction" is too narrow a criterion to describe all scientific theorizing. Empirical testability is the more appropriate criterion.

2. "Empirical testability," "falsifiability," and "confirmability" aren't synonyms. "Empirical testability" is the genus, of which falsification and confirmation are species. Something is empirically testable when it is either falsifiable, confirmable, or both. Moreover, something can be confirmable but not falsifiable, as with the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) or the existence of a cosmic designer. Both of these claims are still empirically testable. Further, recent work in the philosophy of science has revealed the degree to which high level scientific theories tend to resist simple refutation. As a result, Karl Popper’s criterion of “falsifiability,” which most commentators seem to presuppose, was rejected by most philosophers of science decades ago as a litmus test for science. Nevertheless, it’s certainly a virtue of scientific proposals to be able to say what evidence would count against it.

The most important fact of the debate is that the use of a totally unknown and unquantified force as the main point of the theory puts it outside the range of a scientific model.

The flagellum's "irreducible complexity" has been debunked by scientists already. They have shown a clear line though which evolution can produce it in steps without each step being totally useless.

I'll link you if you're interested, but I know you're not.

Since that's the test Ice Dancer thinks is the one that can falsify ID, then I guess ID has been conclusively falsified.

The most important fact of the debate is that the use of a totally unknown and unquantified force as the main point of the theory puts it outside the range of a scientific model.[/QUOTE]

Untrue.

Design detection is used in a number of scientific fields, including anthropology, forensic sciences that seek to explain the cause of events such as a death or fire, cryptanalysis and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI). An inference that certain biological information may be the product of an intelligent cause can be tested or evaluated in the same manner as scientists daily test for design in other sciences.

Yea and lets not forget the fact that biological evolution was never intended to model or explain the origins of life.

What's upsetting to me about this issue is not only the ignorance about evolutionary theory but the false paradigm by those on the religeous right that one cannot beleive in evolution as science and still be a Christian. If it's not specifically stated it's most certainly implied.

Then perhaps you can explain why origin of life - which you keep claiming is not part of evolutionary theory - is invariably taught in every single biology classroom that mentions the concept of evolution? If it is taught as part of the theory, and is not, why do you not object to THAT curriculum? And do not bother denying it - all you need do is look at any 7th grade life science or high school biology text.

It may be that TECHNICALLY you are correct that abiogenesis is not part of evolution. However, it is being TAUGHT as part of evolution.

Back