‘If God is dead, then everything is permitted.’

Look, I don't care if you're religious. We always get to that. Nothing further to say.

You're free to assume the Nicomachean Ethics are basicically Identical to the ethics of the New Testament, but I believe that would be a seriously flawed assumption that ignores historical context, cultural values, tradition, social hierarchy.

You're free to assume the Nicomachean Ethics are basicically Identical to the ethics of the New Testament, but I believe that would be a seriously flawed assumption that ignores historical context, cultural values, tradition, social hierarchy.

you are a tiresome dumbass

Where does Buddhism say those moral imperative come from? Beyond that the founders did recognize the existence of a creator and did as a matter of fact based their right to oppose the king on the assertion that rights were bestowed by higher authority than thr king. Buddhism is irrelevant

I think it's true that all religious traditions believe there is a higher truth or a rational organizing principle of nature that humans need to aspire to.

But that's not what you wrote. You wrote that God is the source of all morality. Your concept of God would be alien to many adherents of Asian or animist religious traditions.

The modern form of the philosophical (or meta-ethical) problem of moral realism may be thought to confront a greater test than its predecessors. Its peculiar challenge was famously expressed in Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov: ‘If God is dead, then everything is permitted.’

Among the more influential philosophical doctrines of the twentieth century was logical positivism which claimed that moral statements are essentially meaningless since they are factually uncheckable. Ethical judgements were defined by the leading English proponent of logical positivism, Freddie Ayer (1910-1989), as emotional ejaculations entirely devoid of reason.

https://drb.ie/articles/climbing-mount-improbable/

Anything is permitted in that one persons mind

That doesn’t mean your fellow earth dwellers will allow you to DO ANYTHING

The concept of god was created to help explain what is moral and why to people

It takes a lot of teaching and discussing to flesh out a moral code and get it consistent and mutually beneficial

The short cut was to say because daddy says so

God deemed it

Some people are just too stupid to do all that mind work

Some people are plenty bright but suffer brain structures that render them incapable of full brain function that includes a failure to process human emotions

The core of morality

Last edited:
I think it's true that all religious traditions believe there is a higher truth or a rational organizing principle of nature that humans need to aspire to.

But that's not what you wrote. You wrote that God is the source of all morality. Your concept of God would be alien to many adherents of Asian or animist religious traditions.

Thats exactly right. There is something greater than humans and human intellect.

I don't give a shit who it would be foreign to but it seems to me a hell of a lot of those people have come here and reaped the benefits of my concept of God.

Thats exactly right. There is something greater than humans and human intellect.

I don't give a shit who it would be foreign to but it seems to me a hell of a lot of those people have come here and reaped the benefits of my concept of God.

And if that greater than human construct turns out to be all of us working together as one then what will you say?

God is not mentioned a single time in the US Constitution. People come here because of our dynamic economy, our promise of tolerance and freedom, and our orderly society based on respect for the rule of law.

Three of our most influential presidents weren't really christians at all, or just barely Christian: Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington.

God is not mentioned a single time in the US Constitution. People come here because of our dynamic economy, our promise of tolerance and freedom, and our orderly society based on respect for the rule of law.

Three of our most influential presidents weren't really christians at all, or just barely Christian: Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington.

All irrelevant. The fact is the basis of our separation from england was that rights com from a higher authority then any man. The DOI goes onto to say governments are instituted to secure those rights not grant them.

All irrelevant. The fact is the basis of our separation from england was that rights com from a higher authority then any man. The DOI goes onto to say governments are instituted to secure those rights not grant them.
You never said we were specifically just talking about America. Your first post claimed all human morality came from God.

That is a really weak argument for you to base centuries of civil progress in the world on one one small sentence in the Declaration of Independence.

I would grade that a D minus in a college level world history class.

You never said we were specifically just talking about America. Your first post claimed all human morality came from God.

That is a really weak argument for you to base centuries of civil progress in the world on one one small sentence in the Declaration of Independence.

I would grade that a D minus in a college level world history class.

First i dont give a shit about anywhere else since I live here. Next I stand by that claim and you supported that claim in your previous post. It's clear all rational societies know there is something greater and more powerful that human reason and intelligence. We in the west call it God.

It may be small but its the basis for declaring that rights aren't from men and that govts are justly instituted to "secure" those rights, they are not the grantors of those rights. Hence there was no need to me tion Godin the constitution since it had already been established what the point of govt was. And AGAIN millions of people who don't think there is a God have benefited from those that established a society that did. They were free to.stY in their God less societies but didn't. Did they?

In common sense it's an A+

First i dont give a shit about anywhere else since I live here. Next I stand by that claim and you supported that claim in your previous post. It's clear all rational societies know there is something greater and more powerful that human reason and intelligence. We in the west call it God.

It may be small but its the basis for declaring that rights aren't from men and that govts are justly instituted to "secure" those rights, they are not the grantors of those rights. Hence there was no need to me tion Godin the constitution since it had already been established what the point of govt was. And AGAIN millions of people who don't think there is a God have benefited from those that established a society that did. They were free to.stY in their God less societies but didn't. Did they?

In common sense it's an A+

Okay, I agree in principle that our framework of values and ethics come from something innate about the human mind's ability to transcend biology and material necessity. I've made the case dozens of times that many of our values and ethics are not required by Darwinian evolution and biological necessity.

There's no empirical reason to say it's because of the Christian god though

Where does Buddhism say those moral imperative come from? Beyond that the founders did recognize the existence of a creator and did as a matter of fact based their right to oppose the king on the assertion that rights were bestowed by higher authority than thr king. Buddhism is irrelevant

Odd how those words in the DOI were lies before Tom Jefferson’s ink was dry.

The God Space is always filled with something.....currently huge numbers of Modern Morons fill it with WOKE and its Yearning 4 UTOPIA.

The modern form of the philosophical (or meta-ethical) problem of moral realism may be thought to confront a greater test than its predecessors. Its peculiar challenge was famously expressed in Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov: ‘If God is dead, then everything is permitted.’

Among the more influential philosophical doctrines of the twentieth century was logical positivism which claimed that moral statements are essentially meaningless since they are factually uncheckable. Ethical judgements were defined by the leading English proponent of logical positivism, Freddie Ayer (1910-1989), as emotional ejaculations entirely devoid of reason.

https://drb.ie/articles/climbing-mount-improbable/

Dostoevky is dead....

Not a lot of heavy thought there, it isn’t about God as an entity, rather the reality that less people think of God, as a thought, he is diminished in today’s world, and a society prohibits activity that it defines as a danger or threat to the society itself, not because God is watching

people keep talking about less people believing in God.....do you realize there are currently more Christians alive than there were people on the planet in 1950?.....

Back