Interesting happenings with auto bailout

Just because your company fails during a recession doesn't make you a bad CEO. It's a stupid litmus test that will get rid of more good CEO's than it gets rid of bad. The stockholders can decide whether or not he's good for the company, and they have more knowledge of it than your blanket firing.

You have a point with respect to Mulally and Nardelli but not for Wagoner. Mulally is relatively new to Ford having become CEO in late 2006. Nardelli became CEO for Chrysler in late 2007. Wagoner, on the other hand, has been at GM for years and years and has presided over its failures. He should be toast.

You have a point with respect to Mulally and Nardelli but not for Wagoner. Mulally is relatively new to Ford having become CEO in late 2006. Nardelli became CEO for Chrysler in late 2007. Wagoner, on the other hand, has been at GM for years and years and has presided over its failures. He should be toast.

Maybe so. I don't know about the CEO's at all, but I don't think just axing anyone who is head of a company that took part in the bailout is a good idea.

Preferably, we should leave it up to the stockholders, and only intervene if it's clear that they are being entirely irrational and self-serving. And anyone the stockholders axe in these trying times should definitely have the bonuses waved as a requirement of taking part in the bailout.

1) I don't think any analyst believes the management of the Big three has done a good job for the past two decades. This isn't just about it being during a time of recession. This is about piss poor management who lacked the foresight to diversify their product line up enough to be able to adapt to changing markets.

2) No one is advocating the government going to companies at will and telling them to fire their executives due to poor performance. We are suggesting that those failed firms that are requesting money from tax payers not get a dime unless management changes. These firms did not fail just because of the recession.

3) I agree that stockholders and boards of directors are capable of making decisions. But AGAIN... NOT when MY tax dollars are being handed to them. If they want to make the decisions on their own... then no tax dollars should float their way. If the government is going to give them our money, then they are responsible to US, not to the shareholders of the big 3.

The recession quickened the death of the big three, I agree.

But sol said ANYONE who took part in the bailout should be auto-axed, which has a nice sounding, justicy, populist zeal to it, but I'm just not sure it's good policy.

I heard that Honda & Toyota aren't faring much better since the recession kicked in.

Car sales are taking a beating across the board right now.

But sol said ANYONE who took part in the bailout should be auto-axed, which has a nice sounding, justicy, populist zeal to it, but I'm just not sure it's good policy.

Yep, Sol said that. But then, Sol believes that the person in charge is responsible for the performance of the company. Those CEOs are getting huge bonuses when they do well (and sometimes when they don't).

And I am not talking about forcing companies to fire their CEOs if things go badly.

But if you are begging for a taxpayer bailout, you better expect to be able to prove you are doing something differently.

Maybe so. I don't know about the CEO's at all, but I don't think just axing anyone who is head of a company that took part in the bailout is a good idea.

Preferably, we should leave it up to the stockholders, and only intervene if it's clear that they are being entirely irrational and self-serving. And anyone the stockholders axe in these trying times should definitely have the bonuses waved as a requirement of taking part in the bailout.

I generally agree with you because of the distinction between the Big 3 CEOs. One guy has been there forever and presided over the company while it made bad decisions, gets paid a lot and probably has made lots of bonus crap cash he didn't earn; another came on board relatively recently to turn the company around and has has some success and he too makes a lot of money and probably wants to keep it all plus his bonus; the third is a recent hire that earns $1 (not sure about bonuses).

Fire all three? Fire just one? Who makes the call?

Having said all that, Wagoner needs to go.

What makes you unsure, jizzy?

Yep, Sol said that. But then, Sol believes that the person in charge is responsible for the performance of the company. Those CEOs are getting huge bonuses when they do well (and sometimes when they don't).

And I am not talking about forcing companies to fire their CEOs if things go badly.

But if you are begging for a taxpayer bailout, you better expect to be able to prove you are doing something differently.

Like reverse a recession?

Good one sol. It's a stupid criterion and you know it as well as I do.

Good god I'm struggling not to say something obnoxious.

Last edited:
you two are quite the comedians. You should give up your day jobs and go on the road. You'd make a fortune. Funny lil bastards that you are.

:cof1::cof1::cof1:

I'd love to go on the road! As long as we didn't stay in any hotel eights or any place like that. I like a fine hotel Sf. There's nothing like a really fine hotel.

If i ever publish my book (you never know, it could happen), and it sold a lot, I would totally move into a really good hotel, write until the early hours of the morning, roll out of bed and downstairs into the lounge in the afternoon, and sleep with lots of European type men...or, metrosexuals, whichever. Like Dorothy Parker, when she lived at The Plaza.

Back