Iraq and oil prices

Lorax I actually like you, you stand for all the good things and I spend way too much time teasing my fellow democrats about lack of business and economics.
LOL, so you had a beginners class in each huh.
I use economics to make investment decisions, there your gotcha just blew up in your face. Most people don't like economics or investing. Put those two together with lost of accounting knowledge and you have investing skills.
Class dissmissed, don't be too embarassed, a recession eventually comes and you'll finally be right on something, years behind the money makers but finally right.

I mean you shouldn't have turned your nose up at the GI bill, education is a terrible thing to waiste.

Well, no doubt that understanding economic trends is a big part of investing, so I don't disagree there.

I like economics, and I like to dabble in investing, but investing like you do takes so much time; I just don't have it right now. Maybe if I stopped posting so much.

As for the current economy - it blows. The fundamentals are terrible, and most of them haven't been very good for years. As I have said, housing & credit have propped up the economy and kept it from sliding into recession for quite awhile now; it's been illusory, and has led to some complacency about addressing the economy with more urgency. Now that housing is tanking & credit is maxed out, there isn't much to build on.

your right lorax things are tough right now, here's the thing we've been through way worse. The fed is pumping billions into the banks (I'll buy DVY). We have a serious long term issue dealing with globalization. We need to offer/really encourage the 25% who don't graduate from college some votech like USC got. Make it sooo appealing that they don't pass it up. Invest in our kids instead of Iraqi's schools, cut the defense budget in half.
We have the fortune 500 littered with great companies and millions who work for them and millions of bright young grad starting businesses in the last 10 yrst. We'll be smoking hot in a couple years at the most.
The long term trend for housing is 6% vs 3% inflation. How does that not eventually catch up.
I say if you give the cuff link guy billions to bail his bank out give the carpenter who built the house and is now struggling a bail out as well.

Was that more bad predictions from topper ? every now and again I regret having him on ignore. Miss the entertainment a bit.

list em gramps, I make a lot of predictions. the key to getting rich is being right more than wrong and that i have.
All I see you do is sling dirt at any body not exactly like you.

Then number of jobs go down and so does unemployment ?

It might be time for my nap, but I just do not understand.

The number of jobs has dropped for months now. And yet unemployment goes down ???

The number of jobs has dropped for months now. And yet unemployment goes down ???
That is the number of NEW jobs that has dropped. Not the number of ALL jobs.

You don't understand because you are either too senile to remember the discussion from last week on how the unemployment rate is calculated OR you are being an ass.

BOTH of the two jobs numbers are friggin surveys. They are estimates. They are used as a guage, but neither is meant to be completely accurate as most people are smart enough to know that would be impossible on a yearly basis, let alone more frequently.

The jobs number is a survey... of large companies. It does not reflect what smaller businesses are doing.

The unemployment rate measures the number of people who are LOOKING for work that cannot find work. It does not, for obvious reasons, count people who are not looking for work.

That is the number of NEW jobs that has dropped. Not the number of ALL jobs.

Number of new jobs minus the existing jobs cut. But it is a survey. A survey that is traditionally focused on large companies. It does not include small and midsize companies nor farm jobs.

it is a net job figure and not just a new job figure as I understand it.
ie if we add 20,000 jobs and lose 40,000 we had a net loss of 20,000 ?

And yes I understand the survey aspect of the unemployment figure.

smart assed college kids, admit ignorance on something and they just insult you.
how rude.

Back