Is it time to restrict gun ownership?

• Yes

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By legal means.

Here's an example. Slavery was legal. The majority accepted it, but a minority found it repugnant, and worked to change the law. Now slavery is illegal - it's even in the Constitution, I hear.

if you think the process that actually occurred to make slavery illegal was legal, you've got a warped sense of history. it's also irrelevant.

So the proposal and ratification of the 13th Amendment was not legal?
no, it wasn't. it was instituted because the union government, after defeating the confederacy in the civil war, replaced the southern states representatives with hand picked members, not true representatives of the states themselves. Even if one could actually make that situation 'legal', its irrelevant because it was ultimately changed through force. I can only imagine the outrage, should force of arms be attempted to change 922 (o).

Or relevant?
in this instance, no.

no, it wasn't. it was instituted because the union government, after defeating the confederacy in the civil war, replaced the southern states representatives with hand picked members, not true representatives of the states themselves. Even if one could actually make that situation 'legal', its irrelevant because it was ultimately changed through force. I can only imagine the outrage, should force of arms be attempted to change 922 (o).

in this instance, no.

I don't concur.

The war and the defeat of the Confederacy were made necessary by the actions of the secessionists.

That does not make the 13th invalid.

Unjust laws can be changed.

Unfortunately, as you have rightly pointed out the opposite is also true.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't concur.

The war and the defeat of the Confederacy were made necessary by the actions of the secessionists.
I don't concur. The federal government had no constitutional authority to prevent any state from seceding.

That does not make the 13th invalid.
What are the two ways the constitution can be amended? both have to have approval of the people. The people in the former confederacy were not represented constitutionally.

Unjust laws can be changed.
usually at the cost of many lives. It's better to be on the side of the constitution to begin with, don't you think?

Unfortunately, as you have rightly pointed out the opposite is also true.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

most likely.

Back