Is Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity?

poet

Banned
http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/1733

Is Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity?

By William Todd Schultz, PhD

Created Sep 6 2008 - 8:53am

A few years ago I was standing on the deck of a beach house on the 4th of July and a person who had obviously drunk too much told me, “The secret of my life is that I always need someone to hate.”

I was reminded of this exchange while watching the stupendously ruthless Republican National Convention over the last several days. Is there anything that conservatives do not hate? Maybe drilling.In fact, they appear utterly phallically obsessed with drilling (a practice that, in about 10 years or so, might reduce gas prices by 2 or 3 cents per gallon).But otherwise, what we learned from the recent hatefest is that Republicans hate community organizers, liberals (surprise!), Madonna, the “east coast elite,” the “angry left” media, trial lawyers, people who are too smart, people who are “cosmopolitan”—the list goes on into eternity.

Listening to this litany on Wednesday night in particular reminded me of a research article that came out roughly 5 years ago on political conservatism and motivated social cognition (Jost, Glaser, Kruglanski & Sulloway, “Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition,” Psychological Bulletin).In a nutshell, the article—by Stanford and UC Berkeley researchers—seems to suggest that conservatism is a mild form of insanity.

Here are the facts.A meta-analysis culled from 88 samples in 12 countries, and with an N of 22,818, revealed that “several psychological variables predicted political conservatism. ”Which variables exactly? In order of predictive power: Death anxiety, system instability, dogmatism/intolerance of ambiguity, closed-mindedness, low tolerance of uncertainty, high needs for order, structure, and closure, low integrative complexity, fear of threat and loss, and low self-esteem. The researchers conclude, a little chillingly, that “the core ideology of conservatism stresses resistance to change and a justification of inequality.”

The above list of variables is more than a little unsavory. We are talking about someone full of fear, with a poor sense of self, and a lack of mental dexterity.I always tell my students that tolerance of ambiguity is one especially excellent mark of psychological maturity.It isn’t a black and white world. According to the research, conservatives possess precisely the opposite:an intolerance of ambiguity and an inability to deal with complexity. Maybe that’s one reason why Obama seems so distasteful to them:he is a nuanced, multi-faceted thinker who can see things from several different perspectives simultaneously. And he isn’t preaching fear, either.

Sometimes, there's no other logical explanation- poet.

well, of course common sense tells someone that it isn't true, but it is like any other claim, including the one by the author of the article. it's plain ideological bullshit, but if you want to believe that shit, go for it.

You know, I wouldn't, otherwise, except for the abject proof exhibited here.

Stanford and UC Berkeley researchers—seems to suggest that conservatism is a mild form of insanity.

How interesting.....obviously, extending the logic seems to suggest that liberalism is a far more extreme form of insanity.....

I'm baffled about wtf "stupendously ruthless" Republican National Convention actually means.....it reminds me of someone saying that all the news on TV is bad news....
No news station spends its time on telling us how John helped Pete cut his grass or how Mary fed her kids today .......its the same with conventions, whether Republican or Democrat.....they're about what is thought to be wrong and not to cheer what is right.........
......quite hypocritical to say one is 'ruthless' , implying that the opposite is true of the other.....hypocritical and a lie.....typical of the left that seems to have vision only out of one eye.....

and the "someone to hate" crack ?.......the class war continuously instigated by left is a perfect example of promoting hate of your fellow countrymen....hate and envy and jealousy just because your neighbors have something you don't.....more money, nicer clothes, a fancier car or house, a better job, etc..........
just look at the Occupy nuts.....haters....haters in the extreme....HATE caused by envy and jealously and promoted by an entire political party....
insanity!

Just like the bogus 'research' above.....something to promote division and hate....the mainstay of the left.....yes....its insane.

A few years ago I was standing on the deck of a beach house on the 4th of July and a person who had obviously drunk too much told me, “The secret of my life is that I always need someone to hate.”

I was reminded of this exchange while watching the stupendously ruthless Democrat National Convention over the last several days. Is there anything that liberals do not hate? Maybe sexual perversions. In fact, they appear utterly phallically obsessed with sexual perversions. But otherwise, what we learned from the recent hatefest is that Democrats hate personal responsibility, conservatives (surprise!), Mel Gibson, the “fly over country,” the “talk radio” media, corporations, people who own businesses, people who are “hicks”—the list goes on into eternity.

I was reminded of this exchange while watching the stupendously ruthless Democrat National Convention over the last several days. Is there anything that liberals do not hate? Maybe sexual perversions. In fact, they appear utterly phallically obsessed with sexual perversions. But otherwise, what we learned from the recent hatefest is that Democrats hate personal responsibility, conservatives (surprise!), Mel Gibson, the “fly over country,” the “talk radio” media, corporations, people who own businesses, people who are “hicks”—the list goes on into eternity.

The list does go on. Get used to it.

I can't believe ANY of you have DY on anything but ignore. He's no debater. He engages in ad homs as much as anyone on this site. -Socrtease

Back