It's Over for Letterman

I know that many on the pinhead left think it is much ado about nothing, and following Letterman's contrite apology, and Palin's acceptance of it, that this will all blow over in time. But it won't.

Many comparisons have been made to the Don Imus comments about the basketball team, but Rev. Al Sharpton disagrees, he thinks there is no comparing the two incidents. I have to agree Al, they are completely different! In one instance, a radio host made an off-the-cuff comment about his impression of how a group of female college athletes looked, on live radio. In the other, a 62-year-old man told a scripted and recorded joke about a minor child having sex. Not even in the same ball park, in my opinion.

What Imus said was terrible, not making excuses for that... but he was fired from his job in spite of his almost immediate apology, including an in-person meeting with the women he insulted, and a personal apology to each of them. Dave Letterman gave a sarcastic and smarmy attempt at apology, which sounded more like an excuse, then after a week of public outcry, delivered a more sincere effort. It may have been enough for Sarah Palin, but the public is not satisfied.

This was a written and prepared joke! A series of people had to be aware of it, Letterman had to approve it, and then it was pre-recorded, so there was ample time for someone to step forward and say... this isn't such a good idea! Imus didn't have that luxury, it came out on live radio, and was not something planned at all. In the case of Imus, it simply didn't matter how much he apologized, or how sorry he was for making the comment, he was still fired from his job. It was the principle of the matter.

Letterman is going to be made an example of. For far too long, those of us on the right have endured this double standard, putting up with endless jokes and insults, having our children attacked on a daily basis by left-wing scum who don't have the decency to leave the kids out of it. Enough is enough! This will serve as the line in the sand. We will no longer tolerate this sort of thing, and let this serve as a notice to the left, we're through being civil about it.

The next time some right-winger makes an idiotic comment about someone on the left, I don't want to hear a word about it! Not a fucking peep! You people don't have some invisible force field which makes you impervious to criticism over stuff like this, and you best stop acting like you do. If we are going to establish the standard that people lose their jobs for this sort of thing, it is going to apply to left-wingers just as it applies to right-wingers.

In light of that.... Buh-bye Dave!

I know that many on the pinhead left think it is much ado about nothing, and following Letterman's contrite apology, and Palin's acceptance of it, that this will all blow over in time. But it won't.

Many comparisons have been made to the Don Imus comments about the basketball team, but Rev. Al Sharpton disagrees, he thinks there is no comparing the two incidents. I have to agree Al, they are completely different! In one instance, a radio host made an off-the-cuff comment about his impression of how a group of female college athletes looked, on live radio. In the other, a 62-year-old man told a scripted and recorded joke about a minor child having sex. Not even in the same ball park, in my opinion.

What Imus said was terrible, not making excuses for that... but he was fired from his job in spite of his almost immediate apology, including an in-person meeting with the women he insulted, and a personal apology to each of them. Dave Letterman gave a sarcastic and smarmy attempt at apology, which sounded more like an excuse, then after a week of public outcry, delivered a more sincere effort. It may have been enough for Sarah Palin, but the public is not satisfied.

This was a written and prepared joke! A series of people had to be aware of it, Letterman had to approve it, and then it was pre-recorded, so there was ample time for someone to step forward and say... this isn't such a good idea! Imus didn't have that luxury, it came out on live radio, and was not something planned at all. In the case of Imus, it simply didn't matter how much he apologized, or how sorry he was for making the comment, he was still fired from his job. It was the principle of the matter.

Letterman is going to be made an example of. For far too long, those of us on the right have endured this double standard, putting up with endless jokes and insults, having our children attacked on a daily basis by left-wing scum who don't have the decency to leave the kids out of it. Enough is enough! This will serve as the line in the sand. We will no longer tolerate this sort of thing, and let this serve as a notice to the left, we're through being civil about it.

The next time some right-winger makes an idiotic comment about someone on the left, I don't want to hear a word about it! Not a fucking peep! You people don't have some invisible force field which makes you impervious to criticism over stuff like this, and you best stop acting like you do. If we are going to establish the standard that people lose their jobs for this sort of thing, it is going to apply to left-wingers just as it applies to right-wingers.

128704784221502403.jpg

palin-suffers.jpg

I'd bet you, but we both know how you deal with wagers:pke:

Dixie, can you spell hypocrite.

Top 10 Reasons Sarah Palin's Outrage is A Little Late...By Shannyn Moore

http://alaskareport.com/news39/x71260_late_sarah.htm

One has to wonder why this advice would not apply to her as well as Hillary. And why a poor taste joke becomes so important and so talked about when there are actually important topics. Can she address any thing important? Remember her energy expertise? You be the judge, bad jokes or real issues? Or more distraction, more trivia as Rome burns.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1108974-sarah-palin-s-tough-criticism-of-hillary-clinton

LMAO!

This was a clinic on false outrage; absolutely textbook.

And man, was Palin's statement yesterday great...invoking the "brave men & women of our military"...priceless!

You guys have lost your compass...

The joke was not abou the 14 year old, no matter how much you may wish it was.

It was not about the statutory rape of a minor. It was about the older kid Bristol.

The point of the joke was that one of Palin's kids got knocked up. Which one was knocked up when she was campaigning? Which one was more famous for being pregnant than for being the daughter of a candidate?

Its not hard to understand. This is just more false outrage.

Letterman's ratings will INCREASE...he's not going anywhere pea brain...

The person that exploited Palin's children for gain in public was PALIN...

levijohnston.jpg

It is so over for Letterman:

Sarah Palin was hardly David Letterman’s best friend the past couple of weeks, though she did accept his apology Tuesday for what she had labeled a tasteless joke about her daughter and which Mr. Letterman described as “beyond flawed.” But the Alaska governor has surely done the CBS late-night star some big favors in the ratings.

Monday night, when Mr. Letterman offered his extended apology to Governor Palin and her family, he had his best night yet in the continuing late-night competition against NBC’s new “Tonight” show star, Conan O’Brien. In preliminary national ratings, Mr. Letterman pulled in 700,000 more viewers than Mr. O’Brien Monday night, 3.9 million to 3.2 million, his biggest margin yet over his new competitor.
Mr. Letterman routinely trailed the former “Tonight” host Jay Leno by a million viewers or more.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...etterman-rises-in-the-ratings/?ref=television

Not that it's a good thing for the body politic, but Dixie may well be onto something. Seems the 'right' has also gone 'Alinsky'...

Dixie the dumbass,
six whole people showed up for the protest. There were more reporters than protestors

I also love it when Dixie gets in his blustery "we're not going to take it, anymore!" mode, as though he's speaking for anyone outside of the "redstates.com" crowd.

This should be a pretty bumpable thread in a few months, when we can check back in on what happens to Dave's ratings...

I really do not care if Letterman goes off the air tomorrow. Don't watch him.
Never cared much for his style.

The joke was not abou the 14 year old, no matter how much you may wish it was.

It was not about the statutory rape of a minor. It was about the older kid Bristol.

The point of the joke was that one of Palin's kids got knocked up. Which one was knocked up when she was campaigning? Which one was more famous for being pregnant than for being the daughter of a candidate?

Its not hard to understand. This is just more false outrage.

It was disgustingly tacky and outrageous misogynistic BS no matter which daughter it was about...though it was the 14 year old that was at the baseball game. The outrage is far from false. As a mother I'd be outraged and I guarantee this would be considered outrageous if it were about anyone’s daughter whom you cared for!

Do I think Letterman should be fired? NO! Do I think his first two apologies were non apologies? YES! Do I think politicians should be weighing in on this? NO! Do I think that the FCC should tighten rules about sexually exploitive crap such as Letterman's so called "joke" should be sought after? YES!

Back