It's Over for Letterman

The daughter who attended the baseball game with Palin was the 14-year-old. Letterman CLAIMED after the fact, he meant the 18 year old. I don't think he really gave a shit which daughter, he made a tacky joke he never should have made, even IF he was talking about the 18-year-old!

Believe me, the FCC has had complaints filed by the public, but what I hope will happen is, his network will feel the consequence of losing advertisers by the droves, and they will do the right thing and fire his ass. There was no excuse for what he said, and liberals don't live by a special set of rules here! I know you think you do, but really... you don't!

Dixie, a joke about a 14 year old getting knocked up would not be funny. But since one of Palin's daughter has already gotten knocked up, it was not so out of line.

Palin paraded her family all over the camapign trail. When you run for top offices your family is a part of that.

Michelle Obama certainly has been. There have been several threads about her here.

Civil discourse? What part of national politics do you think is civil discourse?? And neither side is innocent. Palin stepped into the big leagues. This is nothing new.
Incredibly Large Ass Michelle has made several speeches and made herself the center of attention many times, so she shall bear the full brunt of public scrutiny. Not so for Palin's daughters. *shrug*

Incredibly Large Ass Michelle has made several speeches and made herself the center of attention many times, so she shall bear the full brunt of public scrutiny. Not so for Palin's daughters. *shrug*

Nice that you can make that distinction. Pity the rest of the world does not. The quote from McCain was several years ago. No outrage back then.

Even if the insult was on the 18-year-old it doesn't matter- A person's family is off limits in civil discourse. Letterman's a dirt bag and I won't be forgiving him, never mind watching him.

there were no jokes made about Carters family? His brother his daughter?
How about Clintons daughter?

Did they involve sex in public, or was that just this one?

Seriously, if a public figure had made a joke about raping Chelsea in a public arena and "knocking her up" this site would have been an avalanche of bile poured upon that person. There was enough about McCain and his stupid joke and Rush and the stupid dog joke, let alone public rape.

Did they involve sex in public, or was that just this one?

that was not included in the post I was replying to.

Nice diversion though.

this was what I was replying to:

"Even if the insult was on the 18-year-old it doesn't matter- A person's family is off limits in civil discourse. Letterman's a dirt bag and I won't be forgiving him, never mind watching him."

that was not included in the post I was replying to.

Nice diversion though.

this was what I was replying to:

"Even if the insult was on the 18-year-old it doesn't matter- A person's family is off limits in civil discourse. Letterman's a dirt bag and I won't be forgiving him, never mind watching him."
It isn't a diversion, it is reality.

This dude goes on TV and makes a joke about public sex acts and the Governor's daughter. It really wouldn't matter who it was that made the joke, if it had been about Chelsea all we'd hear about for weeks would be the outrage of the left and calls for his removal. It wouldn't matter if he was talking about the "18 year old one". There was enough outrage over bad jokes from Rush and McCain to gauge the reaction to public sexual activity, those jokes never quite reached the level of this one and there was tons of "outrage".

I know that many on the pinhead left think it is much ado about nothing, and following Letterman's contrite apology, and Palin's acceptance of it, that this will all blow over in time. But it won't.

Many comparisons have been made to the Don Imus comments about the basketball team, but Rev. Al Sharpton disagrees, he thinks there is no comparing the two incidents. I have to agree Al, they are completely different! In one instance, a radio host made an off-the-cuff comment about his impression of how a group of female college athletes looked, on live radio. In the other, a 62-year-old man told a scripted and recorded joke about a minor child having sex. Not even in the same ball park, in my opinion.

What Imus said was terrible, not making excuses for that... but he was fired from his job in spite of his almost immediate apology, including an in-person meeting with the women he insulted, and a personal apology to each of them. Dave Letterman gave a sarcastic and smarmy attempt at apology, which sounded more like an excuse, then after a week of public outcry, delivered a more sincere effort. It may have been enough for Sarah Palin, but the public is not satisfied.

This was a written and prepared joke! A series of people had to be aware of it, Letterman had to approve it, and then it was pre-recorded, so there was ample time for someone to step forward and say... this isn't such a good idea! Imus didn't have that luxury, it came out on live radio, and was not something planned at all. In the case of Imus, it simply didn't matter how much he apologized, or how sorry he was for making the comment, he was still fired from his job. It was the principle of the matter.

Letterman is going to be made an example of. For far too long, those of us on the right have endured this double standard, putting up with endless jokes and insults, having our children attacked on a daily basis by left-wing scum who don't have the decency to leave the kids out of it. Enough is enough! This will serve as the line in the sand. We will no longer tolerate this sort of thing, and let this serve as a notice to the left, we're through being civil about it.

The next time some right-winger makes an idiotic comment about someone on the left, I don't want to hear a word about it! Not a fucking peep! You people don't have some invisible force field which makes you impervious to criticism over stuff like this, and you best stop acting like you do. If we are going to establish the standard that people lose their jobs for this sort of thing, it is going to apply to left-wingers just as it applies to right-wingers.

In light of that.... Buh-bye Dave!
Last poll I saw showed that almost 70% of people support Letterman over Palin. We don't care about her.

This dude goes on TV and makes a joke about public sex acts and the Governor's daughter. It really wouldn't matter who it was that made the joke, if it had been about Chelsea all we'd hear about for weeks would be the outrage of the left and calls for his removal. It wouldn't matter if he was talking about the "18 year old one". There was enough outrage over bad jokes from Rush and McCain to gauge the reaction to public sexual activity, those jokes never quite reached the level of this one and there was tons of "outrage".

Was there mention of rape? "One awkward moment for Sarah Palin at the Yankee game," Letterman said, "during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez."

The people throwing a fit mentioned rape, but it was not in the joke.

Billy Bob Carter tried to use his family fame to make money in the beer business selling "Billy Beer" and made fun of his red-neck heritage back when Jeff Foxworthy was a gleam in his dad's eye, so he's fair game. And As I recall the jokes weren't of a sexual nature and actually helped his business.

I never made fun of Amy or Chelsea and I give a hearty :321: to all who do.

*shrug*

Was there mention of rape? "One awkward moment for Sarah Palin at the Yankee game," Letterman said, "during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez."

Her daughter who was at the game was 14. Duh.

Diversions are often truth and reality. However you zing me all the time for diversions and such.
Consider the favor returned.

I was addressing the statement I responded to about family members being off limits. Which was a hypocritical statement considering the source and you jumped to the defense of a fellow con.
Do not be embaressed and try to cover it up we all know how you are in this regard.

It depends on which daughter you feel the joke was aimed. If it was the 14 year old, that is rape, if it was the 18 year old, it could be taken in either way.

It was disgustingly tacky and outrageous misogynistic BS no matter which daughter it was about...though it was the 14 year old that was at the baseball game. The outrage is far from false. As a mother I'd be outraged and I guarantee this would be considered outrageous if it were about anyone’s daughter whom you cared for!

Do I think Letterman should be fired? NO! Do I think his first two apologies were non apologies? YES! Do I think politicians should be weighing in on this? NO! Do I think that the FCC should tighten rules about sexually exploitive crap such as Letterman's so called "joke" should be sought after? YES!

So much for your "get government out of our private lives" rant...

Nice that you can make that distinction. Pity the rest of the world does not. The quote from McCain was several years ago. No outrage back then.
Do you have proof that there was no outrage? If you can find it I'm guessing that it came from conservatives. As you recall until the 2008 GOP Primary election Mickey was the liberal and media darling, so they would have given him a pass. *shrug*

Diversions are often truth and reality. However you zing me all the time for diversions and such.
Consider the favor returned.

I was addressing the statement I responded to about family members being off limits. Which was a hypocritical statement considering the source and you jumped to the defense of a fellow con.
Do not be embaressed and try to cover it up we all know how you are in this regard.
I'm not defending, I am pointing out hypocrisy.

Bad joke about how girls look = Fired.

Bad joke about public sex acts at baseball games with the Governor's daughter = Defend like a madman because it was about an R's kid who talks about the difficulty of her experience and gives advice about not getting pregnant as a teen.

Seriously. While this isn't going to hurt Letterman's career, the joke was a step beyond what caused "outrage" from the left over other's more mild past jokes.

Saying that there is some sort of moral equivalence here is just sad, one goes way beyond bad jokes about looks.

He made a joke about the daughter that had already gotten knocked up. Not about the 14 year old. Letterman has been on the air a long time and has never said anything even close to what you want this to be about.

So you want the FCC to step in? So your answer is for big gov't to solve a nonexistant problem with more regulations? Not exactly the conservative line, is it?

DAMN YOU!!

You beat me to the "big govt/more regulations" line!!:clink:

BTW - It was a bad joke, people need to get over it. There is no reason to attempt to out 'outrage' the left, just point out the hypocrisy of the outrage they level on people like Rush for making much milder jokes then move on.

Back