It's Your Country Too, Mr. President

Canceled2

Banned
It's Your Country Too, Mr. President

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, April 10, 2009; Page A17

In his major foreign policy address in Prague committing the United States to a world without nuclear weapons, President Obama took note of North Korea's missile launch just hours earlier and then grandiloquently proclaimed:

"Rules must be binding. Violations must be punished. Words must mean something. The world must stand together to prevent the spread of these weapons. Now is the time for a strong international response."

A more fatuous presidential call to arms is hard to conceive. What "strong international response" did Obama muster to North Korea's brazen defiance of a Chapter 7 -- "binding," as it were -- U.N. resolution prohibiting such a launch?

The obligatory emergency Security Council session produced nothing. No sanctions. No resolution. Not even a statement. China and Russia professed to find no violation whatsoever. They would not even permit a U.N. statement that dared express "concern," let alone condemnation.

Having thus bravely rallied the international community and summoned the United Nations -- a fiction and a farce, respectively -- what was Obama's further response? The very next day, his defense secretary announced drastic cuts in missile defense, including halting further deployment of Alaska-based interceptors designed precisely to shoot down North Korean ICBMs. Such is the "realism" Obama promised to restore to U.S. foreign policy.

He certainly has a vision. Rather than relying on America's unique technological edge in missile defenses to provide a measure of nuclear safety, Obama will instead boldly deploy the force of example. How? By committing his country to disarmament gestures -- such as, he promised his cheering acolytes in Prague, ratifying the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

Really, now. How does U.S. ratification of that treaty -- which America has, in any case, voluntarily abided by for 17 years -- cause North Korea to cease and desist, and cause Iran to turn nukes into plowshares?

Obama's other great enthusiasm is renewing disarmament talks with Russia. Good grief. Of all the useless sideshows. Cut each of our arsenals in half and both countries could still, in Churchill's immortal phrase, "make the rubble bounce."

There's little harm in engaging in talks about redundant nukes because there is nothing of consequence at stake. But Obama seems not even to understand that these talks are a gift to the Russians for whom a return to anachronistic Reagan-era START talks is a return to the glory of U.S.-Soviet summitry.

I'm not against gift-giving in international relations. But it would be nice to see some reciprocity. Obama was in a giving mood throughout Europe. While Gordon Brown was trying to make his American DVDs work and the queen was rocking to her new iPod, the rest of Europe was enjoying a more fulsome Obama gift.

Our president came bearing a basketful of mea culpas. With varying degrees of directness or obliqueness, Obama indicted his own people for arrogance, for dismissiveness and derisiveness, for genocide, for torture, for Hiroshima, for Guantanamo and for insufficient respect for the Muslim world.

And what did he get for this obsessive denigration of his own country? He wanted more NATO combat troops in Afghanistan to match the surge of 17,000 Americans. He was rudely rebuffed.

He wanted more stimulus spending from Europe. He got nothing.

From Russia, he got no help on Iran. From China, he got the blocking of any action on North Korea.

And what did he get for Guantanamo? France, pop. 64 million, will take one prisoner. One! (Sadly, he'll have to leave his bridge partner behind.) The Austrians said they would take none. As Interior Minister Maria Fekter explained with impeccable Germanic logic, if they're not dangerous, why not just keep them in America?

When Austria is mocking you, you're having a bad week. Yet who can blame Frau Fekter, considering the disdain Obama showed his own country while on foreign soil, acting the philosopher-king who hovers above the fray mediating between his renegade homeland and an otherwise warm and welcoming world?

After all, it was Obama, not some envious anti-American leader, who noted with satisfaction that a new financial order is being created today by 20 countries, rather than by "just Roosevelt and Churchill sitting in a room with a brandy." And then added: "But that's not the world we live in, and it shouldn't be the world that we live in."

It is passing strange for a world leader to celebrate his own country's decline. A few more such overseas tours, and Obama will have a lot more decline to celebrate.

letters@charleskrauthammer.com

What I find interesting is the simple ad homs, not even an attempt to tell us what was wrong with the article.

What I find interesting is the simple ad homs, not even an attempt to tell us what was wrong with the article.

There is nothing right about it. Krauthammer hasn't been right about anything for a number of years now. He's a washed up neo-con that will never be listened to by anyone in a position of power ever again. His views are so far out of the mainstream that no one anywhere takes him seriously except washed up Bush dead-enders and Dick Cheney.

Krauthammer has his panties in a bunch over a North Korean missile launch that didn't work. And he's upset about Obama cutting spending on a missile defense program that doesn't work.

And really, if Krauthammer wants to consider why we are where we are today with North Korea, he need not look any further than the mirror. It was George W. Bush's failed policies that got us where we are today and Krauthmammer cheered him all the way.

And really, if Krauthammer wants to consider why we are where we are today with North Korea, he need not look any further than the mirror. It was George W. Bush's failed policies that got us where we are today and Krauthmammer cheered him all the way.

wasn't it Bill Clintons policies that allowed N Korea to continue it's nuclear program unabated?

If you read the list of Krauthammer's tirades, what you get is a piece about a President, going hat-in-hand to Europe, saddled to problems resulting from policies dumped on US/Europe relations by the Cowboy Diplomacy of the previous 8 years. Obama was not able to go to Europe in an effort to continue or enhance good European relations he found awaiting him on January 20th, but in an attempt to undo the decimation. Krauthammer conveniently overlooks the failure of the policies that he so firmly supported for the 8 years prior to November 2008, thus leading to the "ad homs" toward a not-so-objective political journalist, unsupported by facts and history.

If you read the list of Krauthammer's tirades, what you get is a piece about a President, going hat-in-hand to Europe, saddled to problems resulting from policies dumped on US/Europe relations by the Cowboy Diplomacy of the previous 8 years. Obama was not able to go to Europe in an effort to continue or enhance good European relations he found awaiting him on January 20th, but in an attempt to undo the decimation. Krauthammer conveniently overlooks the failure of the policies that he so firmly supported for the 8 years prior to November 2008, thus leading to the "ad homs" toward a not-so-objective political journalist, unsupported by facts and history.

Hat in hand? More like groveling with a "please let me play in your sand box, I'll even say what assholes we are if you'll just let me be in your club". "Could you think about helping us to carry your dead weight?" "What was that? No?" "Oh well, will you still like me?"

BTW, what "failed policies"?

People still read this guy and take him seriously? That's interesting.

It's you that are hard to take seriously.

Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist and commentator Charles Krauthammer has won the 11th annual Eric Breindel Award for Excellence in Journalism.
Krauthammer -- a regular panelist on FOX News' "Special Report" whose weekly column in The Washington Post is syndicated in more than 200 newspapers worldwide -- won the $20,000 award for depicting "love of country and its democratic institutions," the Eric Breindel Foundation announced Thursday.

"I was surprised and extremely gratified," Krauthammer told FOXNews.com. "I was very happy when I got the call. It means a lot because I knew Eric, he was a friend of mine and he was a courageous journalist. To win an award in honor of him is extremely gratifying."

The first line @ wikipedia says it all:

"The Eric Breindel Award for Excellence in Opinion Journalism is an annual award, initially of $10,000, made from an endowment from Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation."

Nope...no conservative bias there!

"What failed policies?", I would have thought that Belme had made his views crystal clear by now. You've only had several years to get the message.

Hat in hand? More like groveling with a "please let me play in your sand box, I'll even say what assholes we are if you'll just let me be in your club". "Could you think about helping us to carry your dead weight?" "What was that? No?" "Oh well, will you still like me?"

Of course you would be a staunch like-thinking follower of bush's "my way or the highway" diplomacy. RE: your "asshole" comment, be very careful, it should be in past tense(we were) given the results of the previous 8.

Start with the most important. bush's Cowboy Diplomacy earned him overwhelming dislike(hatred?) from the people of every major country and most minor countries in the world. That hatred makes it difficult for the leaders of those countries to appear overly willing to accede to policies furthered by the US. It has become Obama's albatross which will take time and more diplomatic leadership than bush was capable of in order to undo the bush years.

"BTW", perhaps you can enlighten those who are interested with bush's successful foreign policies, or any policy at all for that matter. I've waited for years for an answer to that question, perhaps this will be the magic moment.

"BTW", perhaps you can enlighten those who are interested with bush's successful foreign policies, or any policy at all for that matter. I've waited for years for an answer to that question, perhaps this will be the magic moment.

I asked you to support your statement Belme; so tell me what failed policies?

It's you that are hard to take seriously.

Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist and commentator Charles Krauthammer has won the 11th annual Eric Breindel Award for Excellence in Journalism.
Krauthammer -- a regular panelist on FOX News' "Special Report" whose weekly column in The Washington Post is syndicated in more than 200 newspapers worldwide -- won the $20,000 award for depicting "love of country and its democratic institutions," the Eric Breindel Foundation announced Thursday.

"I was surprised and extremely gratified," Krauthammer told FOXNews.com. "I was very happy when I got the call. It means a lot because I knew Eric, he was a friend of mine and he was a courageous journalist. To win an award in honor of him is extremely gratifying."

You seem to put a LOT of weight behind Krauthammer's opinion...

"Obama has both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament."
Charles Krauthammer

You seem to put a LOT of weight behind Krauthammer's opinion...

"Obama has both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament."
Charles Krauthammer

He does, that does not change that Obama is wrong about growing our government into an unrecoverable deficit. CK's assessment of his Euro tour is right on. Why is it you have to despise hate or not appreciate a strength in order to also be allowed an intelligent opinion?

Back