It's Your Country Too, Mr. President

If this:
There is nothing right about it. Krauthammer hasn't been right about anything for a number of years now. He's a washed up neo-con that will never be listened to by anyone in a position of power ever again. His views are so far out of the mainstream that no one anywhere takes him seriously except washed up Bush dead-enders and Dick Cheney.

Krauthammer has his panties in a bunch over a North Korean missile launch that didn't work. And he's upset about Obama cutting spending on a missile defense program that doesn't work.

And really, if Krauthammer wants to consider why we are where we are today with North Korea, he need not look any further than the mirror. It was George W. Bush's failed policies that got us where we are today and Krauthmammer cheered him all the way.

is in reaction to this:
What I find interesting is the simple ad homs, not even an attempt to tell us what was wrong with the article.

then the irony is amazing. :)

You seem to put a LOT of weight behind Krauthammer's opinion...

"Obama has both a first-class intellect and a first-class temperament."
Charles Krauthammer
That's the first time of my recollection that I've seen CK be wrong. Perhaps he was being overly generous.

People still read this guy and take him seriously?
Well apparently at least you still do :shrug: ... do you really think taking the arrogant "I'll just shrug the source off like it's beneath me" tact scores any points for you? (*hint it doesn't , just makes you look like you're incapable of addressing the points raised in the content to anyone that cares to pay an iota of attention), the rest of the world sayeth unto ye "you're not as leet as you apparently think you are" ;)

I asked you to support your statement Belme; so tell me what failed policies?

The Economy
Iraq and Afghanistan
Foreign Relations
Trickle Down
Job growth
Deficits
Increased size of government.
The hate of the world.
Increased & record spending and earmarks
Increased poverty
Increased Health costs
Gonzales Justice Department
Goss CIA
Brown FEMA
Etc.
YOUR TURN!(I promise I won't laugh.)

You should know by now, that Belme just demands you answer HIS questions?

Have I had the pleasure of meeting you? If so, why is it that those of your political bent change their names so often? Ashamed or embarrassed by the old one? Maybe YOU can enlighten onlookers about bush's presidential successes since the others can't.

The Economy
Iraq and Afghanistan
Foreign Relations
Trickle Down
Job growth
Deficits
Increased size of government.
The hate of the world.
Increased & record spending and earmarks
Increased poverty
Increased Health costs
Gonzales Justice Department
Goss CIA
Brown FEMA
Etc.
YOUR TURN!(I promise I won't laugh.)

Your list are not policies. Please provide some specific policies and explain how they were a failure...I promise I won't laugh.

Is the reason you edited out the rest of my post so you could ask that question without embarrasing yourself?

No, is was to bring you back to the question I asked in which you bloviated a bunch of BS in order to avoid answering.

Last edited:
Your list are not policies. Please provide some specific policies and explain how they were a failure...I promise I won't laugh.

Once again you are out of mental ammo. Use any excuse you want, your dance of denial continues. You have no defense for the failure and incompetence of bush and his cronies.

"The United States doesn't torture."- gw bush, liar-in-chief.

Once again you are out of mental ammo. Use any excuse you want, your dance of denial continues. You have no defense for the failure and incompetence of bush and his cronies.

"The United States doesn't torture."- gw bush, liar-in-chief.
Still on this Bush thing? Do you realize his two terms are up?

Still on this Bush thing? Do you realize his two terms are up?

I'm sure we'd all like nothing better than if he were forever deleted from history but, unfortunately, when someone fucks it up that badly it takes quite a while to remove those lingering stains on the carpet.

Has anyone seen the 'Shake and Vac'?

What's wrong with the article? As Belme stated in a couple of posts Obama has all the arrogance and garbage from Bush to clean up.

Did Bush listen to the UN before invading Iraq? How many times did Bush imply that he would do what's good for the US and to hell with the UN and others who had objections?

Unfortunately, Obama is getting the same finger from the allies that Bush gave them. "My way or the highway." "You're either with us or against us."

Now the US expects to go to the UN and allies and with a quick "make nice" speech all is forgiven? I think not and the only one to blame is Bush.

As Obama said, "... Roosevelt and Churchill sitting in a room with a brandy." And then added: "But that's not the world we live in, and it shouldn't be the world that we live in."

He's right but, then again, people have long memories. It's going to take time for them to forget Bush. At least time to realize Obama is different. Unfortunate? Yes, but that's the reality.

It's Your Country Too, Mr. President

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, April 10, 2009; Page A17

In his major foreign policy address in Prague committing the United States to a world without nuclear weapons, President Obama took note of North Korea's missile launch just hours earlier and then grandiloquently proclaimed:

"Rules must be binding. Violations must be punished. Words must mean something. The world must stand together to prevent the spread of these weapons. Now is the time for a strong international response."

A more fatuous presidential call to arms is hard to conceive. What "strong international response" did Obama muster to North Korea's brazen defiance of a Chapter 7 -- "binding," as it were -- U.N. resolution prohibiting such a launch?

The obligatory emergency Security Council session produced nothing. No sanctions. No resolution. Not even a statement. China and Russia professed to find no violation whatsoever. They would not even permit a U.N. statement that dared express "concern," let alone condemnation.

Having thus bravely rallied the international community and summoned the United Nations -- a fiction and a farce, respectively -- what was Obama's further response? The very next day, his defense secretary announced drastic cuts in missile defense, including halting further deployment of Alaska-based interceptors designed precisely to shoot down North Korean ICBMs. Such is the "realism" Obama promised to restore to U.S. foreign policy.

He certainly has a vision. Rather than relying on America's unique technological edge in missile defenses to provide a measure of nuclear safety, Obama will instead boldly deploy the force of example. How? By committing his country to disarmament gestures -- such as, he promised his cheering acolytes in Prague, ratifying the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

Really, now. How does U.S. ratification of that treaty -- which America has, in any case, voluntarily abided by for 17 years -- cause North Korea to cease and desist, and cause Iran to turn nukes into plowshares?

Obama's other great enthusiasm is renewing disarmament talks with Russia. Good grief. Of all the useless sideshows. Cut each of our arsenals in half and both countries could still, in Churchill's immortal phrase, "make the rubble bounce."

There's little harm in engaging in talks about redundant nukes because there is nothing of consequence at stake. But Obama seems not even to understand that these talks are a gift to the Russians for whom a return to anachronistic Reagan-era START talks is a return to the glory of U.S.-Soviet summitry.

I'm not against gift-giving in international relations. But it would be nice to see some reciprocity. Obama was in a giving mood throughout Europe. While Gordon Brown was trying to make his American DVDs work and the queen was rocking to her new iPod, the rest of Europe was enjoying a more fulsome Obama gift.

Our president came bearing a basketful of mea culpas. With varying degrees of directness or obliqueness, Obama indicted his own people for arrogance, for dismissiveness and derisiveness, for genocide, for torture, for Hiroshima, for Guantanamo and for insufficient respect for the Muslim world.

And what did he get for this obsessive denigration of his own country? He wanted more NATO combat troops in Afghanistan to match the surge of 17,000 Americans. He was rudely rebuffed.

He wanted more stimulus spending from Europe. He got nothing.

From Russia, he got no help on Iran. From China, he got the blocking of any action on North Korea.

And what did he get for Guantanamo? France, pop. 64 million, will take one prisoner. One! (Sadly, he'll have to leave his bridge partner behind.) The Austrians said they would take none. As Interior Minister Maria Fekter explained with impeccable Germanic logic, if they're not dangerous, why not just keep them in America?

When Austria is mocking you, you're having a bad week. Yet who can blame Frau Fekter, considering the disdain Obama showed his own country while on foreign soil, acting the philosopher-king who hovers above the fray mediating between his renegade homeland and an otherwise warm and welcoming world?

After all, it was Obama, not some envious anti-American leader, who noted with satisfaction that a new financial order is being created today by 20 countries, rather than by "just Roosevelt and Churchill sitting in a room with a brandy." And then added: "But that's not the world we live in, and it shouldn't be the world that we live in."

It is passing strange for a world leader to celebrate his own country's decline. A few more such overseas tours, and Obama will have a lot more decline to celebrate.

letters@charleskrauthammer.com

Bush fucked up because he pursued a bad policy. The UN is far too irrelevant to be judged negatively by ignoring it. The UN is nothing more than a punchline. Anyone who takes it seriously is an idiot.

No, belme, once again you have failed to support your statement that Bush's policies all failed. I asked you to provide those policies and show how they failed; something a person making such an adamant claim ought to be able to do. Instead you have song and danced and pointed fingers at me. Just provide the specific policies and how they failed. Remember you intimated they were all failed. Prove it, show us.

No, belme, once again you have failed to support your statement that Bush's policies all failed. I asked you to provide those policies and show how they failed; something a person making such an adamant claim ought to be able to do. Instead you have song and danced and pointed fingers at me. Just provide the specific policies and how they failed. Remember you intimated they were all failed. Prove it, show us.

Was that semantic dodge the fox trot or boogaloo? You love the man, show the waiting magnitudes bush's "successes". I, for one, am truly trying to learn what it is you think I misunderstand about bush. I listed a smattering of his failures and it is obvious you've got nary a thought in your pretty little head to counter them. I am laughing now, I apologize, but it is of your own doing.
Obama inherited the pile of dung your heroes left behind that we're all standing in, but you aren't person enough to admit it.
You seem concerned about the use of the word "all", which I did not use, yet you can't counter with a single item to eliminate the "all" if nothing else.

Was that semantic dodge the fox trot or boogaloo? You love the man, show the waiting magnitudes bush's "successes". I, for one, am truly trying to learn what it is you think I misunderstand about bush. I listed a smattering of his failures and it is obvious you've got nary a thought in your pretty little head to counter them. I am laughing now, I apologize, but it is of your own doing.
Obama inherited the pile of dung your heroes left behind that we're all standing in, but you aren't person enough to admit it.
You seem concerned about the use of the word "all", which I did not use, yet you can't counter with a single item to eliminate the "all" if nothing else.

Your list contained NO specific policies and showed no one how they failed. This is your typical song and dance belme, either name the policies and how they failed or continue to do the belme belly crawl and call it proof, until you can do so you have failed.

When you show how you can make your claim, then you have the right to ask me for policies that were successful, and btw I have 3 that are easily named and supported with facts and numbers...

P - O - L - I - C - I - E - S

Gee it's beginning to look a lot like the Old Days around here.

I say if you can't provide the policies and reason, do the next thing in your bag of tricks. Go find Summersong (Tutu Monroe) to beat up on for the next two weeks.

Maybe you could convince Tom and Christie to join you, eh???? :roll:

Back