Jesus and Siddhartha Gautama

Why do atheists always want to debate religion
Self doubt in your assumptions?

They're afraid. They're like little kids talking tough about walking through the woods at night but their anger belies their courage.

They're often under 30, privileged and scared they'll be held accountable for themselves and their relative success...which is why many are anarchists and hate capitalism. :)

The concept of the immotal soul comes from Plato and Greek philosophy.

The fathers of the early Christian church in the fourth century were highly influenced by Greek philosophy, and they infused Christian theology with Greek intellectual thought.

Jesus might never have literally and directly referenced an immortal soul, but he spoke a length about the Kingdom of Heaven and the implications seem rather obvious to me.

The concept of the immotal soul comes from Plato and Greek philosophy.

The fathers of the early Christian church in the fourth century were highly influenced by Greek philosophy, and they infused Christian theology with Greek intellectual thought.

Jesus might never have literally and directly referenced an immortal soul, but he spoke a length about the Kingdom of Heaven and the implications seem rather obvious to me.

Kingdom of God is among you.

Mathew 16:26
For what is a man profited,if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

The concepts of soul and heaven in the Bible obviously reference an afterlife; an eternal existence.....which some idiots insist is the same as "immortal".

Kingdom of God is among you.

Now you are just playing word games.
Eternal life in the kingdom of God pretty clear to me.

You are the type of poster who gives militant atheists a bad name, and you are just as bad as intolerant bible thumpers.

No one is asking you to accept the premise of an eternal soul.

Your going to have to explain why it stresses you out so much that Plato, the Pope, and billions of other people do.

Now you are just playing word games.
Eternal life in the kingdom of God pretty clear to me.

You are the type of poster who gives militant atheists a bad name, and you are just as bad as intolerant bible thumpers.

No one is asking you to accept the premise of an eternal soul.

Your going to have to explain why it stresses you out so much that Plato, the Pope, and billions of other people do.

Agreed. He's acting like a six year old who doesn't want to eat his peas when everyone is just saying, "Eat them or not. Leaves more of us".

I was quoting Jesus. Time for you to go to bed.

QED

I was quoting Jesus. Time for you to go to bed.

Pointing to a random quote, while ignoring the full context of the New Testament, and the corpus of centuries of writings by fathers of the Church is playing word games

You did not explain why it stresses you out if other people believe in an eternal soul. Believe whatever you want. It is a metaphysical question which is beyond the reach of inductive scientific experiment. So why does it bother you so much that you feel like going on an atheist Jihad about it?

This was originally posted on another thread. Slightly edited from the original.

Although not a Christian myself, at least not a conventional Christian, I was raised as one and my wife is a devout Christian. I strongly support Christian values even though I doubt the divinity of Christ.

There is a lot of commonality between Jesus of Nazareth and Siddhartha Gautama. It would not surprise me if there was eventual proof that the missing years between when Jesus was 12 and 33 were spent in India.

Regardless of religion or spiritual beliefs, people can see the glass as half full or half empty, they can see people as mostly good or mostly bad and they can seek to fly with the good angels or the dark ones, with group with good people or bad.

I forget who, but a Zen master once said (and I paraphrase) "Jesus and Siddhartha are the same except one was the son of a carpenter and the other a son of a king". Both had a religion formed around them even though I strongly doubt that was their intent. Both espoused points of view that emphasized forgiveness, peace and trying to better oneself for the greater good.

Please try to stay on topic. No one is banned from commenting and derails are expected but if someone ignores warnings to stay on topic or keep the conversation civil, they will be asked to leave.
that s an old theory. How did a middle easrerner got to India,become enlightened, and then get back to the ME by his teenage years?

there are similarities in terms of Compassion,but the belief theories are not interchangable

I love the philosophy although anytime someone lies to me or bends the truth such stating "the Baha’i Faith is the world’s second-most widespread religion after Christianity" it casts a cloud on their veracity.

That said, I'm not anti-religion, but I'm not a religious joiner either. Religions require adherence to dogma and, IMO, dogma is an anchor dragging down spiritual growth.
religion is a guide. it's possible to be "spiritual"without it, but the (aspects of)Path for ex.is a workable well established way to remain on it

Agreed about evidence of travel to India, but aside from the Bible and a dubious note by Flavius Josephus, there is zero evidence Jesus existed. ;)

Disagreed that Jesus or anyone else couldn't spend two decades traveling from Judea to India, living there and returning. OTOH, he wouldn't have to go all the way to India. Just far enough east to encounter the ideas of Buddhism and other Eastern religions.

Agreed on Zoroastrianism but I fail to see why you are in such denial that anyone from Judea could learn about Buddhism.
2 different cultures. Christ came from the Jewish tradition of a "savior"

Buddha was born during a time of great interest in reforming Hinduism . various sages tried different aspects
Some of these taught forms of meditation, Yoga, and asceticism and set forth philosophical views, focusing often on the nature of the person and the question of whether human actions (karma) have future effects.
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Buddha-founder-of-Buddhism

Agreed about evidence of travel to India, but aside from the Bible and a dubious note by Flavius Josephus, there is zero evidence Jesus existed. ;)

Disagreed that Jesus or anyone else couldn't spend two decades traveling from Judea to India, living there and returning. OTOH, he wouldn't have to go all the way to India. Just far enough east to encounter the ideas of Buddhism and other Eastern religions.

Agreed on Zoroastrianism but I fail to see why you are in such denial that anyone from Judea could learn about Buddhism.
There is zero doubt knowledge of Eastern Religions were known in the Grecco-Roman world & for about 300 years by Jesus' time........

Paul even mentioned the cities dedicated to gods, even unknown gods, as well as the money made in those cities, areas set aside for debates, arguments & exchange of knowledge......

Greco-Buddhist art is the artistic manifestation of Greco-Buddhism, a cultural syncretism between the Classical Greek culture and Buddhism. Greco-Buddhist art is characterized by the strong idealistic realism and sensuous description of Hellenistic art and the first representations of the Buddha in human form, which have helped define the artistic (and particularly, sculptural) canon for Buddhist art throughout the Asian continent up to the present. It is also a strong example of cultural syncretism between eastern and western traditions.

The origins of Greco-Buddhist art are to be found in the Hellenistic Greco-Bactrian kingdom (250–130 BC), located in today’s Afghanistan, from which Hellenistic culture radiated into the Indian subcontinent with the establishment of the Indo-Greek kingdom (180–10 BC). Under the Indo-Greeks and then the Kushans, the interaction of Greek and Buddhist culture flourished in the area of Gandhara, in today’s northern Pakistan, before spreading further into India, influencing the art of Mathura, and then the Hindu art of the Gupta empire, which was to extend to the rest of South-East Asia. The influence of Greco-Buddhist art also spread northward towards Central Asia, strongly affecting the art of the Tarim Basin, and ultimately the arts of China, Korea, and Japan.

Gandhara%2C_testa_di_buddha%2C_I-III_sec.JPG

Jesus Christ in ancient, non-biblical historical records
Updated Jan 07, 2019; Posted Mar 25, 2016

One of the earliest known depictions of Jesus Christ. Dated to the 4th century, it was found in a cemetery in an imperial villa that belonged to Constantine.

Christians now observing Holy Week - the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ - base their beliefs on the gospel writings contained in the New Testament.

But the historical Jesus' life is mentioned in several non-Christian texts written by Jewish, Roman and Greek authors in the decades following his death.

The most famous of these is "Antiquities of the Jews," written by the Jewish historian Josephus ben Matthias (37-100 A.D.)

Josephus, who had fought against the Romans, was a slave and interpreter before he was granted Roman citizenship. He wrote "The Jewish War" in 75 A.D. and "Antiquities of the Jews, some 19 years later. By comparison, the earliest known gospel, attributed to Mark, is believed to have been written in 70 A.D.

Josephus' writings mention a number of biblical figures - Jesus Christ, John the Baptist, James, the brother of Jesus, Pontius Pilate, the Sadducees, the Sanhedrin, the High Priests, and the Pharisees.

In one passage, Josephus refers to the stoning death of James in 62 A.D., calling him "the brother of Jesus who is called Christ." The neutral phrase "who is called Christ" was employed by Josephus to distinguish the subject from the other men named James and Jesus mentioned in "Antiquities."

An expanded and more detailed reference to Jesus by Josephus has been the subject of debate with some claiming it to be entirely accurate and others who believe it was manufactured and inserted by early Christians.

In this passage, Josephus discussed Jesus' broad appeal, condemnation, death and resurrection. Most scholars agree that early Christians likely added to Josephus' work such phrases "He was the Christ" and "he appeared to them alive again the third day." A Jewish historian, they argued, would not have written those words.

A more neutral translation of Josephus' description of Jesus appears in John P. Meier's book "A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus: The Roots of the Problem and the Person." Removing the disputed phrases, the reference reads:

Jesus existence and the devotion of his followers also appears outside Judeo-Christian texts written within a century after his death.

Cornelius Tacitus (56-117 A.D.), a Roman consular and respected historian known for his dislike of Christians and Jews, wrote that Nero blamed the great fire in Rome of 64 A.D. on the followers of Christos, who was executed by Pilate during the reign of Tiberius. His words "mischievous superstition" may be a reference to the Christian belief of Jesus' resurrection.

The Roman magistrate Pliny the Younger (61-113 A.D), who like his friend Tacitus had supervised trials of Christians, documented that early Christians believed Jesus to be a god, and they observed a strict moral code and gathered regularly for a worship. Their gatherings included song and the sharing of a meal.

Beyond Rome, the Greek satirist Lucian of Samosata (115-200 A.D.) mocked early Christians for following their crucified lawgiver. He documented their belief in everlasting life.

While none of these accounts will settle the faith-based argument on the divinity of Jesus, scholar Lawrence Mykytiuk wrote in Biblical Archaeology Review, the following historical points can be gleamed:

Jesus existed and had a brother named James
His appeal extended beyond Jews and included Greeks
Jewish leaders of the day held an unfavorable opinion of him
He was crucified when Pontius Pilate was prefect of Judea (26-36 A.D.)
Jesus was called "Christos" in Greek, a translation of the Hebrew word Messiah

https://www.masslive.com/living/201...cient_historical_non-biblical_accounts_1.html

Back