Juneteenth is America’s second Independence Day—here’s why

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
Juneteenth is known to some in the United States as the country’s “second Independence Day.” Observed each year on June 19, the holiday marks the end of slavery in Texas at the end of the Civil War.

For more than 150 years, African American communities across the country have observed this holiday—from social gatherings in Emancipation Parks to church services and other events. But Juneteenth has increasingly been celebrated nationwide; in 2021 it became the first new federal holiday since the establishment of Martin Luther King Jr. Day in 1983. How did that happen? Here’s a look at the history of Juneteenth.

For decades, many southern Black communities were forced to celebrate Juneteenth on the outskirts of town due to racism and Jim Crow laws. To ensure they had a safe place to gather, Juneteenth groups would often collectively purchase plots of land in the city on which to celebrate. These parks were commonly named Emancipation Parks, many of which still exist today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/j...Q?cvid=20e3e6f9cbe8432db24a21473079a139&ei=21

Juneteenth is known to some in the United States as the country’s “second Independence Day.”
Not really.

Observed each year on June 19, the holiday marks the end of slavery in Texas at the end of the Civil War.
Not really. The reason is that Democrats want to heavily downplay the fact that Republicans fought for, and brought about, the end of slavery, slavery that Democrats fought tooth and nail to preserve, and continue to pursue to this day. It's funny how you didn't mention this, guno.

For more than 150 years, African American communities across the country have observed this holiday
Not really.

But Juneteenth has increasingly been celebrated nationwide;
I haven't seen any increase in celebration of this whatsoever.

in 2021 it became the first new federal holiday since the establishment of Martin Luther King Jr. Day in 1983.
I'm guessing that Democrats believe that there aren't any dark-skinned people who even know that the Democrat Party is the Party of slavery.

For decades, many southern Black communities were forced to celebrate Juneteenth on the outskirts of town due to racism and [Democrat] Jim Crow laws.
Nobody celebrated juneteenth. Your entire post is once again a work of political revisionism.

Anyone who wants to celebrate juneteenth should thank the Republican Party, without whom blacks might very well still be in Democrat chains.

Juneteenth is known to some in the United States as the country’s “second Independence Day.” Observed each year on June 19, the holiday marks the end of slavery in Texas at the end of the Civil War.....
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/j...Q?cvid=20e3e6f9cbe8432db24a21473079a139&ei=21
Opal Lee, described as the "grandmother of the movement", is now a 94 year old resident of Fort Worth.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/mee...ent-make-juneteenth-federal/story?id=78356537
When President Joe Biden signed a bill last year making Juneteenth a federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States, one woman captured well-deserved attention.

Opal Lee, 94, was described by Biden as the "grandmother of the movement" to make Juneteenth a federal holiday...

...In 2016, at 89 years old, Lee, a former teacher and lifelong activist, walked from her home in Fort Worth, Texas, to the nation's capital in an effort to get Juneteenth named a national holiday.

Juneteenth is known to some in the United States as the country’s “second Independence Day.” Observed each year on June 19, the holiday marks the end of slavery in Texas at the end of the Civil War.

For more than 150 years, African American communities across the country have observed this holiday—from social gatherings in Emancipation Parks to church services and other events. But Juneteenth has increasingly been celebrated nationwide; in 2021 it became the first new federal holiday since the establishment of Martin Luther King Jr. Day in 1983. How did that happen? Here’s a look at the history of Juneteenth.

For decades, many southern Black communities were forced to celebrate Juneteenth on the outskirts of town due to racism and Jim Crow laws. To ensure they had a safe place to gather, Juneteenth groups would often collectively purchase plots of land in the city on which to celebrate. These parks were commonly named Emancipation Parks, many of which still exist today.

So you're saying it's older than that iter fake holiday kwanza.

“Black history is American history,” decrying challenges to suppress it and introducing the “grandmother of Juneteenth,” Opal Lee, who fought for the federal holiday.

Not really.

Not really. The reason is that Democrats want to heavily downplay the fact that Republicans fought for, and brought about, the end of slavery, slavery that Democrats fought tooth and nail to preserve, and continue to pursue to this day. It's funny how you didn't mention this, guno.

Not really.

I haven't seen any increase in celebration of this whatsoever.

I'm guessing that Democrats believe that there aren't any dark-skinned people who even know that the Democrat Party is the Party of slavery.

Nobody celebrated juneteenth. Your entire post is once again a work of political revisionism.

Anyone who wants to celebrate juneteenth should thank the Republican Party, without whom blacks might very well still be in Democrat chains.

Why do you hate this history being taught then shit face?

You should be PROMOTING IT to polish the Republican Party name huh

But you don’t

Because now in history (not a hundrred years ago) the Republican Party hates black people

Juneteenth is an Ebonic word.
I can't recognize it.

Most liberals don't care about dignity any more than trumpanzees do,
but I'm not one of those.

I can't imagine a serious black person in America not being ashamed of that word.
The name "Juneteenth" belittles them, suggests that they're illiterate, yet so many embrace it.

The name "Juneteenth" references the date of the holiday, combining the words "June" and "nineteenth." "On June 19, 1865, Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger led the Union Soldiers to Galveston, TX, to announce the end of the war and the freedom of all enslaved people.

I can't recognize it.

I can't imagine a serious black person in America not being ashamed of that word.
The name "Juneteenth" belittles them, suggests that they're illiterate, yet so many embrace it.

The name "Juneteenth" references the date of the holiday, combining the words "June" and "nineteenth."

I know that.

You're cool with it?
You don't think that it's demeaning?
You don't think of somebody making fun of how "colored folks" talk?

I'm the one who's NOT "woke," and I find it offensive.
If it doesn't offend African Americans, it still offends the English language.

Maybe it's I, but that sort of thing rubs me the the wrong way.

I can't recognize it.

You’re just another good, old fashioned bigot.

I know that.

You're cool with it?
You don't think that it's demeaning?
You don't think of somebody making fun of how "colored folks" talk?

I'm the one who's NOT "woke," and I find it offensive.
If it doesn't offend African Americans, it still offends the English language.

Maybe it's I, but that sort of thing rubs me the the wrong way.

You’re just another good, old fashioned bigot.

No, I'm the exact opposite.
I get offended on behalf of the multitudes of intelligent black people who speak English as well or better than I.

Still, I'm always open to you opinions, of course, Phan, in that I can't put mods on ignore.
You, in contrast, can get rid of me anytime that you like.
I'm rather surprised that you haven't already.

No, I'm the exact opposite.
I get offended on behalf of the multitudes of intelligent black people who speak English as well or better than I.

Still, I'm always open to you opinions, of course, Phan, in that I can't put mods on ignore.
You, in contrast, can get rid of me anytime that you like.
I'm rather surprised that you haven't already.

You do understand when around white people a lot of Black people will use "acceptable" white English

You do understand when around white people a lot of Black people will use "acceptable" white English

Almost all of the black people with whom I've had significant discourse do that.
I don't remember any of my black brothers and sisters in my union, for example,
talking like the cast of "Good Times."

If you're telling me that they speak differently among themselves, that's an actual revelation to me.

Back