...Just be good for goodness sake!

If you think the responses in this thread are based on some bizarre need to defend then I think you missed the point.

The initial post was an attack on anyone who believed that morality and "goodness" can be based on anything except the threat of hell or the promise of heaven.

I, and many others, know this to be untrue. And we spoke up to show it to be untrue. Letting lies perpetuate lies is not the way good people operate.

You are so slow and PC, I was responding to flag's post about some over the top stuff that has little to do with what people mean when they talk about being good at Christmas.

You see there's this amazing concept in online debating where when you "Quote" a single person you actually are just answering that single person who said something and not what the rest of the posts said!

For example, in this response I am just responding to what you said and not everyone else!

Please don't make me be an asshole again, I actually don't enjoy it.

You are so slow and PC, I was responding to flag's post about some over the top stuff that has little to do with what people mean when they talk about being good at Christmas.

You see there's this amazing concept in online debating where when you "Quote" a single person you actually are just answering that single person who said something and not what the rest of the posts said!

For example, in this response I am just responding to what you said and not everyone else!

Please don't make me be an asshole again, I actually don't enjoy it.

You don't enjoy it? But you are so good at it.

There is a little thing called courtesy. If my post was inaccurate then a simple correction would suffice. But you insist on name calling and insults, and then claim to not like being an asshole?

Try again.

You don't enjoy it? But you are so good at it.

There is a little thing called courtesy. If my post was inaccurate then a simple correction would suffice. But you insist on name calling and insults, and then claim to not like being an asshole?

Try again.
I created a user once called KindlerGentlerDano (one of many in the line of Danos ©), I can resurrect him if you'd like?
But fairly warned be thee says I as for some odd reason he pissed Liberals off more.

Christmas used to be a holiday of drunken debauchery and sex ....What happened to the good ol days.
the Peasants used to basically trick or treat the nobles in a drunken bunch.

Christmas used to be a holiday of drunken debauchery and sex ....What happened to the good ol days.
the Peasants used to basically trick or treat the nobles in a drunken bunch.

Now THERE is a christmas tradition I could get into.

Not enough drunken debauchery and sex in the holidays anymore. What ever happened to the good old days, huh?

Now THERE is a christmas tradition I could get into.

Not enough drunken debauchery and sex in the holidays anymore. What ever happened to the good old days, huh?

Watch "Christmas unwrapped" I think it is on the history channel.
the church in England actually banned Christmas at one time.
The churches were to be closed and the shops open on christmas day.
so did the Puritans in America.

Last edited:
Well, it's nice to see I have some responses to my thread, however, I am not seeing any real answer to my initial questions. Instead, I see what I expected, a complete misunderstanding of faith, followed by mis-characterizations and misconceptions. As I said, this is fundamentally why Atheists can't "be good for goodness sake", because to do that, you must first have understanding.

If you were born in the wilderness, and had no concept of what society was, or what society considered "good", how would you know how to behave "good"? Do you think it would just come naturally to you? You'd just know not to steal, not to murder, not to rape? You see, you would have no understanding these things were wrong or unacceptable. It is through understanding that we develop "good" behavior. Our "good" behavior is largely based on our personal experiences. Atheists (or non-religious) have no concept or understanding of faith, so it is impossible for them to respect the faith of others.

Here in this very thread, I am attacked for my personal faith. Not directly, but subtly, through attacking those with faith. Solitary says: I think being good without the threat of punishment or bribe means far more. I am a Spiritualist, I don't feel threatened by punishment, and don't feel I am being bribed. I can see where someone who doesn't understand the faith of others, thinking faith is based on threat of punishment or bribe, but through my understanding of my own faith, I know this is not so.

Solitary expounds: I can be good to my fellow man because I recognize them as my brethren and deserving of compassion. There is no motivation other than my being good to people. I am not trying to get something for it. Nor am I trying to avoid punishment.

If there is no motivation for it, why are you compelled to go to any trouble at all? What happens if you don't? If there is not a consequence, why does it matter? And who decided your behavior was indeed "good" or "bad"? You? That's kind of like a customer in a store deciding how much is fair to pay for merchandise, isn't it? The good old "honor system" of morals! Let's all be as "good" as we feel like being, that sounds like a plan!

Digital Dave attacks my logic, then adds: We don't need a cattle prod pokin' us in the ass to hold the door for a fellow human being, or drop a couple dollars into a red bucket, or want to donate a few hundred dollars to the Cysitc Fibrosis foundation to try and help find a cure for those that can't live a full life because they were born with a disease. It doesn't take a book to teach us warmth and compassion for other human beings, we just feel it.

But how do you "feel" it? What compels you to do these things you consider "good"? And are these the only examples of "good" you follow? Is it because you want to be seen as a civilized member of society and not just a cold heartless heathen? Is it out of a sense of guilt? What is it that makes you feel inclination to help your fellow man, or as Solitary so religiously put it, compassion for your fellow brethren?

As I said, I am a Spiritualist, I don't feel I have a "cattle prod poking me in the ass" at all, but I can understand how someone who doesn't understand the faith of others, would think that is the case. My motivation for being "good" is to maintain the harmony of nature around me. By exhibiting positive energy, I create an aura of positiveness around me, which defeats the negative forces, thus making my life pleasant. I can generate this positive energy by doing good deeds for others, by thinking positive thoughts, by helping those in need, etc. It has nothing to do with cattle prods, bribes, or threats.

Jarhead says: I dont murder steal rape ect, because I would not enjoy doing such a thing and because I know if I did it would ruin my life because of the guilt I would feel. I have never had the desire to murder anyone, I rarely have ever wished to steal something and rape would not be enjoyable for me. I could not live with myself if I did such a thing.

So, his motivation is revealed... guilt! But why does someone feel "guilty" in the first place? Isn't it because, deep down inside, we know what is right and wrong? In order to have these feelings, there must be some basis for them. Some foundational principle which compels us to "feel guilt" over the bad things we do, and thus, avoid doing them. People of faith have merely labeled this foundational belief, and attributed it to a specific entity other than self. Why do that? Well, because, when you base your foundational principle on something greater than yourself, it prevents you from acting selfishly. We are human, therefore we are subject to selfishness as part of the human condition. By basing our standards on something other than our self, we can avoid selfishness, and better live by the standards we expect for ourselves.

I am not one to judge, but I have met quite a few Atheists over the years, and one thing I have noticed is a common trait... they are generally more selfish than others. Now, I have not met all Atheists, and maybe it's just an attribute present in the particular Atheists I've met, but it seems to be consistent with Atheism, from my perspective. They are often self-centered people, who have little or no regard for the feelings of others. They tend to do what benefits them most, and disregard compassion for their "fellow brethren". I presume this is largely due to the fact they have no basis and foundation in faith, and their concept of "good" is based on their own individual philosophy.

Solitary reveals almost every attribute of "good" behavior found in people of faith, but can't really explain what compels him to live by these standards, other than... for the sake of it. Just because! That doesn't really answer the question. It doesn't explain why. His argument is essentially; "I can be my own keeper of morals!" But we can't! As humans, it is impossible for us to govern our own sense of morals and principles, and expect to maintain any standard greater than self-preservation. We will ultimately do what is best for us, and disregard "good" for our "fellow brethren" when push comes to shove. Unless we have a foundation for our beliefs and guidance in our actions, we are merely creatures with typical animal instinct, and we resort to that every time.

Dixie some of us do not need a big group telling us what to do to do the right thing.
You are clearly a pack animal though.

Dixie some of us do not need a big group telling us what to do to do the right thing.
You are clearly a pack animal though.

You're right, I also don't need a big group telling me what to do, or what is the "right thing." Remember, I am not a Christian, I am a Spiritualist.

What we all need, to maintain a consistent standard of "good" behavior, is some foundation and basis for our beliefs. Without the foundational belief in something greater than self, your "morals" and thus, "good and bad" is simply a self-defined standard you've established, which can be altered at any time.

You're right, I also don't need a big group telling me what to do, or what is the "right thing." Remember, I am not a Christian, I am a Spiritualist.

What we all need, to maintain a consistent standard of "good" behavior, is some foundation and basis for our beliefs. Without the foundational belief in something greater than self, your "morals" and thus, "good and bad" is simply a self-defined standard you've established, which can be altered at any time.

All we each are is a self defined individual.
Some of us depend on a religion, political party or some group for a purpose some of us just depend on a much smaller group of self and close friends and family.
When it is all said and done that is all we have. Ourselves and a small circle of people we love and trust.
The larger groups often only exist to use the individuals in it for a purpose not necessarially for the good of the individuals.

In what is becoming a holiday tradition, the Atheists are running a God-bashing billboard campaign for Christmas. Buses in NY are emblazoned with the phrase: "Why believe in God, just be good for goodness sake!"

While Christmas is celebrated by Christians and secular non-believers alike, the word "Christmas" literally means, "Christ's Mass" and is the celebration of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. The date of December 25th, is not believed to be the actual birth date of Jesus, and it is likely this is a 'paganization' of the celebration, combining the tradition with the celebration of Winter Solstice.

It is interesting the Atheists focus on the date of Christian celebration of the birth of the Messiah, to promote their alternative philosophy. It would seem, one of the other 364 days of the year, would be more respectful and understanding of their fellow man, and would better exemplify "goodness" in their hearts. But this leads us to the point of the thread, and the discussion at hand.

How can one be "good for goodness sake" alone? Without a moral foundation for "goodness" what does it mean? What is the fundamental purpose of "being good" if there is no consequence for not "being good" and nothing to clarify or define what "goodness" is? What possible motivation could one have, for exhibiting "goodness" when there is no accountability or consequences? And where is "goodness" universally defined by Atheists? Isn't it in fact, a largely individual philosophy and standard?

I catch a lot of flack here as a "right-wing religious zealot" but my personal faith is not Christianity, I am a Spiritualist. I believe there was a man born in Nazareth named Jesus, and he was a great and profound speaker and philosopher, who had a deep and powerful message for humanity. I respect what he taught, because I believe it has merit in terms of living a "good" life. That said, I personally believe in a Spiritual entity not defined by Christianity or any other organized religious belief. What I believe in, is more like an "energy source" or "power" which courses through our universe. Those who believe in this entity are able to sometimes 'tap in' to the force, and gain wisdom and understanding of the universe around them. In any event, I base "goodness" on what is in harmony with my Spiritual understanding of "good" versus "evil" and nothing more.

Although I am not a Christian, I celebrate Christmas with my family and loved ones, some of whom are Christians, and I respect their beliefs and customs. I would certainly never use the day of their celebration for the birth of Jesus, as a platform for my personal beliefs. It's because I respect what they believe in their hearts, just as strongly as what I believe in mine. But, an Atheist has no beliefs. Therefore, they can't comprehend or understand what is in the hearts of others, nor can they bring themselves to respect it.

Be good for goodness sake? It's a nice thought, but wholly unrealistic in fundamental principle.

Morality is partly natural and partly nurture.

Get rid of the nurture shit - it's lies.

All we each are is a self defined individual.
Some of us depend on a religion, political party or some group for a purpose some of us just depend on a much smaller group of self and close friends and family.
When it is all said and done that is all we have. Ourselves and a small circle of people we love and trust.
The larger groups often only exist to use the individuals in it for a purpose not necessarially for the good of the individuals.

Ah, but you're substituting "large groups" for "faith" here. To simply be part of a "large group" is not to have fundamental beliefs rooted in faith. I don't "depend" on a religion, political party, or any group. I don't even depend on family! I depend on myself and my faith. Truly, that is all we have to realistically depend on.

The point of this thread and the topic of discussion is, how can you "be good for goodness sake" without having any fundamental basis for your beliefs? Doesn't it simply become a self-defined conditional attribute? I am asking here, not making a statement. I don't know, because I base my definition of "good" on my faith in something greater than myself. I am trying to understand how someone could base their concepts of "good" on something other than self, if 'self' is the greatest thing they believe in. Wouldn't it stand to reason, a person without a foundational belief in something else, define "good" as being "what is good for me" and nothing more? This seems to be very vulnerable to human greed and selfishness, if that's the case. Like the analogy I gave earlier, if customers in the store could decide what price was fair to pay, and just allowed to leave that amount on the counter when they leave with the merchandise, would the company stand to profit? I don't understand how they could, but apparently, Atheists believe this to be possible.

Morality is partly natural and partly nurture.

Nope... Morality is not "natural" in any way. While there are some instances of behavior in nature we define as "animal morality" it is always found to be fundamentally based on self-preservation or need of the individual. A mountain lion has no "morality" regarding the 'murder' of a sheep, it doesn't consider the consequences, what will become of the sheep's family, or anything other than self-preservation. Nowhere in nature, other than humans, is the 'morality' we see in humans exhibited. Even in our closest ancestors, chimpanzees, there is no sense of morality, no concept of "right and wrong" which occurs naturally. Any behaviors they may exhibit, are behaviors they have been trained to exhibit, and not something that happened through nature.

Nope... Morality is not "natural" in any way. While there are some instances of behavior in nature we define as "animal morality" it is always found to be fundamentally based on self-preservation or need of the individual. A mountain lion has no "morality" regarding the 'murder' of a sheep, it doesn't consider the consequences, what will become of the sheep's family, or anything other than self-preservation. Nowhere in nature, other than humans, is the 'morality' we see in humans exhibited. Even in our closest ancestors, chimpanzees, there is no sense of morality, no concept of "right and wrong" which occurs naturally. Any behaviors they may exhibit, are behaviors they have been trained to exhibit, and not something that happened through nature.

STUPID

No, you are STUPID Waterhead. You haven't presented a shred of evidence to support your argument, you just proclaimed something to be so, in your 'infinite wisdom' and that doesn't win the argument for you. Sorry.

No, you are STUPID Waterhead. You haven't presented a shred of evidence to support your argument, you just proclaimed something to be so, in your 'infinite wisdom' and that doesn't win the argument for you. Sorry.

What's the point in arguing you Dix? Your infinite wisdom is too much for me. I can't retaliate against your brilliant arguments that have no flaws.

I have no problem with society having rules. It allows us to protect the weak from the bullies.
To paraphrase Jefferson. A society with out laws is chaos but law without conscience is tyranny.

That aside, Kingcondo's comment is not only irrational it's another right wing strawman.

I dont murder steal rape ect, because I would not enjoy doing such a thing and because I know if I did it would ruin my life because of the guilt I would feel. I have never had the desire to murder anyone, I rarely have ever wished to steal something and rape would not be enjoyable for me. I could not live with myself if I did such a thing.

The only reward for doing a good deed is doing a good deed.

Well, it's nice to see I have some responses to my thread, however, I am not seeing any real answer to my initial questions. Instead, I see what I expected, a complete misunderstanding of faith, followed by mis-characterizations and misconceptions. As I said, this is fundamentally why Atheists can't "be good for goodness sake", because to do that, you must first have understanding.

If you were born in the wilderness, and had no concept of what society was, or what society considered "good", how would you know how to behave "good"? Do you think it would just come naturally to you? You'd just know not to steal, not to murder, not to rape? You see, you would have no understanding these things were wrong or unacceptable. It is through understanding that we develop "good" behavior. Our "good" behavior is largely based on our personal experiences. Atheists (or non-religious) have no concept or understanding of faith, so it is impossible for them to respect the faith of others.

Here in this very thread, I am attacked for my personal faith. Not directly, but subtly, through attacking those with faith. Solitary says: I think being good without the threat of punishment or bribe means far more. I am a Spiritualist, I don't feel threatened by punishment, and don't feel I am being bribed. I can see where someone who doesn't understand the faith of others, thinking faith is based on threat of punishment or bribe, but through my understanding of my own faith, I know this is not so.

Solitary expounds: I can be good to my fellow man because I recognize them as my brethren and deserving of compassion. There is no motivation other than my being good to people. I am not trying to get something for it. Nor am I trying to avoid punishment.

If there is no motivation for it, why are you compelled to go to any trouble at all? What happens if you don't? If there is not a consequence, why does it matter? And who decided your behavior was indeed "good" or "bad"? You? That's kind of like a customer in a store deciding how much is fair to pay for merchandise, isn't it? The good old "honor system" of morals! Let's all be as "good" as we feel like being, that sounds like a plan!

Digital Dave attacks my logic, then adds: We don't need a cattle prod pokin' us in the ass to hold the door for a fellow human being, or drop a couple dollars into a red bucket, or want to donate a few hundred dollars to the Cysitc Fibrosis foundation to try and help find a cure for those that can't live a full life because they were born with a disease. It doesn't take a book to teach us warmth and compassion for other human beings, we just feel it.

But how do you "feel" it? What compels you to do these things you consider "good"? And are these the only examples of "good" you follow? Is it because you want to be seen as a civilized member of society and not just a cold heartless heathen? Is it out of a sense of guilt? What is it that makes you feel inclination to help your fellow man, or as Solitary so religiously put it, compassion for your fellow brethren?

As I said, I am a Spiritualist, I don't feel I have a "cattle prod poking me in the ass" at all, but I can understand how someone who doesn't understand the faith of others, would think that is the case. My motivation for being "good" is to maintain the harmony of nature around me. By exhibiting positive energy, I create an aura of positiveness around me, which defeats the negative forces, thus making my life pleasant. I can generate this positive energy by doing good deeds for others, by thinking positive thoughts, by helping those in need, etc. It has nothing to do with cattle prods, bribes, or threats.

Jarhead says: I dont murder steal rape ect, because I would not enjoy doing such a thing and because I know if I did it would ruin my life because of the guilt I would feel. I have never had the desire to murder anyone, I rarely have ever wished to steal something and rape would not be enjoyable for me. I could not live with myself if I did such a thing.

So, his motivation is revealed... guilt! But why does someone feel "guilty" in the first place? Isn't it because, deep down inside, we know what is right and wrong? In order to have these feelings, there must be some basis for them. Some foundational principle which compels us to "feel guilt" over the bad things we do, and thus, avoid doing them. People of faith have merely labeled this foundational belief, and attributed it to a specific entity other than self. Why do that? Well, because, when you base your foundational principle on something greater than yourself, it prevents you from acting selfishly. We are human, therefore we are subject to selfishness as part of the human condition. By basing our standards on something other than our self, we can avoid selfishness, and better live by the standards we expect for ourselves.

I am not one to judge, but I have met quite a few Atheists over the years, and one thing I have noticed is a common trait... they are generally more selfish than others. Now, I have not met all Atheists, and maybe it's just an attribute present in the particular Atheists I've met, but it seems to be consistent with Atheism, from my perspective. They are often self-centered people, who have little or no regard for the feelings of others. They tend to do what benefits them most, and disregard compassion for their "fellow brethren". I presume this is largely due to the fact they have no basis and foundation in faith, and their concept of "good" is based on their own individual philosophy.

Solitary reveals almost every attribute of "good" behavior found in people of faith, but can't really explain what compels him to live by these standards, other than... for the sake of it. Just because! That doesn't really answer the question. It doesn't explain why. His argument is essentially; "I can be my own keeper of morals!" But we can't! As humans, it is impossible for us to govern our own sense of morals and principles, and expect to maintain any standard greater than self-preservation. We will ultimately do what is best for us, and disregard "good" for our "fellow brethren" when push comes to shove. Unless we have a foundation for our beliefs and guidance in our actions, we are merely creatures with typical animal instinct, and we resort to that every time.

Dixie, you have really lost your mind. You post the outrageous claims in the original post, then come back and claim people are attacking you? Attacking you? Since when is an opposing view on a single subject an "attack"?

Your comparisons are also rather ridiculous. Equating atheism with growing up in the wild? So religious (and even spiritual) people are civilized because of their faith?

My entire point was made about religious versus atheistic people. You claimed from the beginning that you are not a christian, and are spiritual rather than religious. But you claim I am attacking you? If you are not behaving based on the threat of hell or the reward of heaven, how is it your faith shaped your morality and sense of goodness in a way that an atheist could not have done?

Also, this idea that atheists cannot comprehend faith is absurd. Most of the atheists I have known have been religious at one time or another in their lives. They have had faith. To say that because they lost it they cannot understand it is a bit of a stretch.

Poor Dixie. You make outrageous accusations and claims, then try to play the victim when people disagree.

You claim to have a degree in psychology. Surely you recognize a passive-aggressive manner?

Back