...Just be good for goodness sake!

Well, it's nice to see I have some responses to my thread, however, I am not seeing any real answer to my initial questions. Instead, I see what I expected, a complete misunderstanding of faith, followed by mis-characterizations and misconceptions. As I said, this is fundamentally why Atheists can't "be good for goodness sake", because to do that, you must first have understanding.

If you were born in the wilderness, and had no concept of what society was, or what society considered "good", how would you know how to behave "good"? Do you think it would just come naturally to you? You'd just know not to steal, not to murder, not to rape? You see, you would have no understanding these things were wrong or unacceptable. It is through understanding that we develop "good" behavior. Our "good" behavior is largely based on our personal experiences. Atheists (or non-religious) have no concept or understanding of faith, so it is impossible for them to respect the faith of others.

Here in this very thread, I am attacked for my personal faith. Not directly, but subtly, through attacking those with faith. Solitary says: I think being good without the threat of punishment or bribe means far more. I am a Spiritualist, I don't feel threatened by punishment, and don't feel I am being bribed. I can see where someone who doesn't understand the faith of others, thinking faith is based on threat of punishment or bribe, but through my understanding of my own faith, I know this is not so.

Solitary expounds: I can be good to my fellow man because I recognize them as my brethren and deserving of compassion. There is no motivation other than my being good to people. I am not trying to get something for it. Nor am I trying to avoid punishment.

If there is no motivation for it, why are you compelled to go to any trouble at all? What happens if you don't? If there is not a consequence, why does it matter? And who decided your behavior was indeed "good" or "bad"? You? That's kind of like a customer in a store deciding how much is fair to pay for merchandise, isn't it? The good old "honor system" of morals! Let's all be as "good" as we feel like being, that sounds like a plan!

Digital Dave attacks my logic, then adds: We don't need a cattle prod pokin' us in the ass to hold the door for a fellow human being, or drop a couple dollars into a red bucket, or want to donate a few hundred dollars to the Cysitc Fibrosis foundation to try and help find a cure for those that can't live a full life because they were born with a disease. It doesn't take a book to teach us warmth and compassion for other human beings, we just feel it.

But how do you "feel" it? What compels you to do these things you consider "good"? And are these the only examples of "good" you follow? Is it because you want to be seen as a civilized member of society and not just a cold heartless heathen? Is it out of a sense of guilt? What is it that makes you feel inclination to help your fellow man, or as Solitary so religiously put it, compassion for your fellow brethren?

As I said, I am a Spiritualist, I don't feel I have a "cattle prod poking me in the ass" at all, but I can understand how someone who doesn't understand the faith of others, would think that is the case. My motivation for being "good" is to maintain the harmony of nature around me. By exhibiting positive energy, I create an aura of positiveness around me, which defeats the negative forces, thus making my life pleasant. I can generate this positive energy by doing good deeds for others, by thinking positive thoughts, by helping those in need, etc. It has nothing to do with cattle prods, bribes, or threats.

Jarhead says: I dont murder steal rape ect, because I would not enjoy doing such a thing and because I know if I did it would ruin my life because of the guilt I would feel. I have never had the desire to murder anyone, I rarely have ever wished to steal something and rape would not be enjoyable for me. I could not live with myself if I did such a thing.

So, his motivation is revealed... guilt! But why does someone feel "guilty" in the first place? Isn't it because, deep down inside, we know what is right and wrong? In order to have these feelings, there must be some basis for them. Some foundational principle which compels us to "feel guilt" over the bad things we do, and thus, avoid doing them. People of faith have merely labeled this foundational belief, and attributed it to a specific entity other than self. Why do that? Well, because, when you base your foundational principle on something greater than yourself, it prevents you from acting selfishly. We are human, therefore we are subject to selfishness as part of the human condition. By basing our standards on something other than our self, we can avoid selfishness, and better live by the standards we expect for ourselves.

I am not one to judge, but I have met quite a few Atheists over the years, and one thing I have noticed is a common trait... they are generally more selfish than others. Now, I have not met all Atheists, and maybe it's just an attribute present in the particular Atheists I've met, but it seems to be consistent with Atheism, from my perspective. They are often self-centered people, who have little or no regard for the feelings of others. They tend to do what benefits them most, and disregard compassion for their "fellow brethren". I presume this is largely due to the fact they have no basis and foundation in faith, and their concept of "good" is based on their own individual philosophy.

Solitary reveals almost every attribute of "good" behavior found in people of faith, but can't really explain what compels him to live by these standards, other than... for the sake of it. Just because! That doesn't really answer the question. It doesn't explain why. His argument is essentially; "I can be my own keeper of morals!" But we can't! As humans, it is impossible for us to govern our own sense of morals and principles, and expect to maintain any standard greater than self-preservation. We will ultimately do what is best for us, and disregard "good" for our "fellow brethren" when push comes to shove. Unless we have a foundation for our beliefs and guidance in our actions, we are merely creatures with typical animal instinct, and we resort to that every time.

However you didn't answer my challenge to your post and your response is anything but rational or logical. What seperates humans from animals is not some superstitous belief but the fact that we are capable of rational thought and critical thinking.

To use the conservative logic of objectivism to be good for goodness sake is enough. It is the ideal. It is rational at a classical philosophical level.

To be good is good. To do what is right is right. To use reason is reasonable.

That is, it is good to do what is right and it is reasonable.

Therefore to be good, for goodness sake is a high ideal indeed as is the golden rule.

It takes no religeous foundation to make such a logical connection and to assert that only those who have a foundation in religion or spirituality can make such a connection is not rational, contradicts the facts, and is based upon a false premis.

As Ayne Rand would state, such a belief would be a death philosophy because it is not grounded in reality.

Ah, but you're substituting "large groups" for "faith" here. To simply be part of a "large group" is not to have fundamental beliefs rooted in faith. I don't "depend" on a religion, political party, or any group. I don't even depend on family! I depend on myself and my faith. Truly, that is all we have to realistically depend on.

The point of this thread and the topic of discussion is, how can you "be good for goodness sake" without having any fundamental basis for your beliefs? Doesn't it simply become a self-defined conditional attribute? I am asking here, not making a statement. I don't know, because I base my definition of "good" on my faith in something greater than myself. I am trying to understand how someone could base their concepts of "good" on something other than self, if 'self' is the greatest thing they believe in. Wouldn't it stand to reason, a person without a foundational belief in something else, define "good" as being "what is good for me" and nothing more? This seems to be very vulnerable to human greed and selfishness, if that's the case. Like the analogy I gave earlier, if customers in the store could decide what price was fair to pay, and just allowed to leave that amount on the counter when they leave with the merchandise, would the company stand to profit? I don't understand how they could, but apparently, Atheists believe this to be possible.

custopmers do not have all the knowledge to determine the price of an object in a store.

I am an Atheist and do not believe in any rewards after death for the way I live my life and yet I tend to be a good person and help the less fortunate. And ot just the going bankrupt corporations.

How can I be that way with no "faith" ?

Your "faith" came from an organized religion, do not fool yourself into thinking it did not.
Or are you a cultist ?

You know the only difference between a cult and a religion ? The number of followers.
Christianity started out as a cult.

Nope... Morality is not "natural" in any way. While there are some instances of behavior in nature we define as "animal morality" it is always found to be fundamentally based on self-preservation or need of the individual. A mountain lion has no "morality" regarding the 'murder' of a sheep, it doesn't consider the consequences, what will become of the sheep's family, or anything other than self-preservation. Nowhere in nature, other than humans, is the 'morality' we see in humans exhibited. Even in our closest ancestors, chimpanzees, there is no sense of morality, no concept of "right and wrong" which occurs naturally. Any behaviors they may exhibit, are behaviors they have been trained to exhibit, and not something that happened through nature.

Mroality as you call it is simple logic. people eventually learn that life is better and they can accompolish more in working together and cooperating than in fighting all the time.

Animals even have their social orders and rules.

Get a honey bee drunk and put in on the hive landing board, the other bees will not let it in till it has sobered up.

Dixie, you have really lost your mind. You post the outrageous claims in the original post, then come back and claim people are attacking you? Attacking you? Since when is an opposing view on a single subject an "attack"?

Because this was not an "argument" to be debated, and what I said, can't be opposed. It was a truism. I never said people are attacking me directly, they are attacking me by attacking people of faith, I gave precise examples.

Your comparisons are also rather ridiculous. Equating atheism with growing up in the wild? So religious (and even spiritual) people are civilized because of their faith?

I never said this either. You are really good at finding misunderstanding in my commentary, perhaps that is why you have no faith in religion, you simply failed to comprehend it correctly? I didn't compare or equate Atheism to growing up in the wild, I gave an example for logical comparative sake, that was all. I have also presented analogies to help illustrate my point, those are also not "comparing" or "equating" anything with anything else. They are merely examples to demonstrate logical thought processes.

My entire point was made about religious versus atheistic people. You claimed from the beginning that you are not a christian, and are spiritual rather than religious. But you claim I am attacking you? If you are not behaving based on the threat of hell or the reward of heaven, how is it your faith shaped your morality and sense of goodness in a way that an atheist could not have done?

Because, like I explained, as a Spiritualist, I believe in a supreme power which courses through our universe, I explained it as best I could to someone who doesn't understand it. Through my actions, this power influences my living of life. When I do positive "good" things, the energy I receive is positive and good, and my life is in harmony. Likewise, when I engage in negativism or "bad" behavior, the energy I receive is not positive, and my life is less enjoyable to live. It really has nothing to do with a religious belief, promise of heaven, or threat of hell. It isn't a "cattle prod" or "bribe" for me, it is my choice and free will entirely. I had just rather live in harmony with positive energy, than be miserable without it. That's all.

An Atheist has no belief of anything greater than self. Therefore, there is no apparent motivation to "behave good" or exhibit positive energy. It defied logic to conclude this is done simply for the sake of doing it. Nothing we do is ever done for this reason, and nothing any living organism ever does, is ever done for that reason. There is a reason for everything.

Also, this idea that atheists cannot comprehend faith is absurd. Most of the atheists I have known have been religious at one time or another in their lives. They have had faith. To say that because they lost it they cannot understand it is a bit of a stretch.

I would argue, if an Atheist "had faith" they either never lost it, or never understood it.

Poor Dixie. You make outrageous accusations and claims, then try to play the victim when people disagree.

I'm not a victim. I stated the truth, and the attacks came through attacking religious beliefs, not attacking me personally. You can disagree with truth all you like, in the end, you have to deal with that, not me. Please don't feel sorry for me here, I am not the one who needs the sympathy!

You claim to have a degree in psychology. Surely you recognize a passive-aggressive manner?

I would, if that were the case, but it's not. I am merely pointing out logic and truth. If you wish to argue logic, you need to present something to counter what I've presented... to present, you haven't. If you want to argue 'truth' that is your prerogative, I won't engage in the argument because I already know the truth.

Is it? Please explain why a rational person needs to have a foundation in some outdated, ancient set of superstitions to have a proper foundation in morals or ethics? Isn't what is really required, for a foundation in ethics and morals, is a foundation in rational and critical thought?

No, because "rational" simply means what is "rational" according to you, if you have no moral foundation. People use critical thought to "rationalize" all kinds of things everyday, it doesn't make them ethical or moral.

I don't know why anyone needs to have a foundation in outdated ancient superstitions to have proper foundations in morals or ethics, and if I said that, it might be worthy of my consideration. Since I didn't say that, and it simply appears to be an attack on religious beliefs, I will let it stand as an illustration of my earlier point, on how you must attack something you don't understand.

I do know how to have morals and ethics based on personal faith in something greater than self, but I truly don't understand how you can behave "good" without some moral foundation of what "good" is. I asked this question of you, and the others, and it has yet to be answered. The best answer you guys can come up with, is "because, we feel like it."

So you claim that atheists cannot be as "good" as religious people.

And you claim that atheists cannot understand faith.

And you call these truisms?

I am not an atheist, so your idea that I do not understand something because I don't believe is patently false.

Your assertion that if they had faith they would never have lost it is an old fundamentalist notion. It saves them from ever having to admit that faith is not always sufficient for some people.

Mroality as you call it is simple logic. people eventually learn that life is better and they can accompolish more in working together and cooperating than in fighting all the time.

Animals even have their social orders and rules.

Get a honey bee drunk and put in on the hive landing board, the other bees will not let it in till it has sobered up.

Sorry, but "morality" as I understand it, is anything BUT logical. In fact, some of the most historical cases of humanity making a "moral" stand, are surrounded with things that are completely illogical. Why did Dr. King risk and ultimately give his life for a "moral" cause? Did it make logical sense for him to sacrifice his life?

Animals do not exhibit human morality, or anything similar to the human attributes which comprise human morality. Honey bees don't restrict the drunk bee from the hive because he is a sinner! LOL! Perhaps it's because they sense there is something wrong with the bee, and don't want him to contaminate the other bees? I don't know, I am not a bee expert, we'll have to ask Damo, but I'm reasonably sure it's not because the 'Church Lady Bee Society' is opposed to him getting shnockered.

So you claim that atheists cannot be as "good" as religious people.

And you claim that atheists cannot understand faith.

And you call these truisms?

I am not an atheist, so your idea that I do not understand something because I don't believe is patently false.

Your assertion that if they had faith they would never have lost it is an old fundamentalist notion. It saves them from ever having to admit that faith is not always sufficient for some people.

I've not said that. I am going to stop correcting you, and start making you go back and re-read what I post if you don't stop this silliness! I never said that Atheists can't be as "good" as religious people, or that they couldn't understand faith. I did ask some questions, to which no one has posed an answer, and I will make you go back and review those questions, because I am a little pressed for time at the moment, and you should have read them the first time, instead of posting a knee-jerk reactionary "argument" against me.

I also didn't say "if Atheist had faith they would never have lost it."

if an Atheist "had faith" they either never lost it, or never understood it.

That doesn't come from a "fundamentalist" it comes from a Spiritualist... ME!

Sorry, but "morality" as I understand it, is anything BUT logical. In fact, some of the most historical cases of humanity making a "moral" stand, are surrounded with things that are completely illogical. Why did Dr. King risk and ultimately give his life for a "moral" cause?

Because a your friendly neighborhood Jewish zombie compelled him. Clearly, there's no other response.

Again, I am agape at your logic. You've proven god. The world shall now come to an end and we'll fly up to the sky and have drugs pumped into us to make us artificially happy for eternity.

On a side note, is all happiness artificial? I'm sure this will provide us with more of the rich gold of Dixie's philosophizing.

I've not said that. I am going to stop correcting you, and start making you go back and re-read what I post if you don't stop this silliness! I never said that Atheists can't be as "good" as religious people, or that they couldn't understand faith. I did ask some questions, to which no one has posed an answer, and I will make you go back and review those questions, because I am a little pressed for time at the moment, and you should have read them the first time, instead of posting a knee-jerk reactionary "argument" against me.

I also didn't say "if Atheist had faith they would never have lost it."

if an Atheist "had faith" they either never lost it, or never understood it.

That doesn't come from a "fundamentalist" it comes from a Spiritualist... ME!

Universals.

Smiling is a universal.

The prohibition against murder is a universal.

Very simple psychological concept.

As I said, throw at the nurture shit, like we need to hate and kill gays, and cause death and destruction and hatred and fear, that lying, evil Christians tell you. They are the scum of the Earth and I wish they'd all die and rot.

However you didn't answer my challenge to your post and your response is anything but rational or logical. What seperates humans from animals is not some superstitous belief but the fact that we are capable of rational thought and critical thinking.

To use the conservative logic of objectivism to be good for goodness sake is enough. It is the ideal. It is rational at a classical philosophical level.

To be good is good. To do what is right is right. To use reason is reasonable.

That is, it is good to do what is right and it is reasonable.

Therefore to be good, for goodness sake is a high ideal indeed as is the golden rule.

It takes no religeous foundation to make such a logical connection and to assert that only those who have a foundation in religion or spirituality can make such a connection is not rational, contradicts the facts, and is based upon a false premis.

As Ayne Rand would state, such a belief would be a death philosophy because it is not grounded in reality.

Morality is not necessarily reasonable.

Again, the reason we have morality in our nature is because it's in our genetics. Certainly people use "logic" a lot to perversely modify this to evil goals, like Christians. This is the nurture side of morality.

Throw it the fuck out, along with Christians.

As I said, throw at the nurture shit, like we need to hate and kill gays, and cause death and destruction and hatred and fear, that lying, evil Christians tell you. They are the scum of the Earth and I wish they'd all die and rot.

Bravo! Excellent example of how people without a moral foundation or belief in something greater than self, have no concept of "good" or "evil" and it is merely a definition of personal standards. Wishing that people would die and rot, is not showing compassion for your "fellow brethren" (as Solitary puts it).

As for sentiments toward gays... I know of NO person of religious faith, who wants to "kill gays." NOT ONE! I do know, Fidel Castro (your hero) implemented a policy of putting gays in concentration camps in Cuba, beneath a sign which read; "Work will make men out of you!" I do know that alQaeda (whom you cheer lead for) will cut your head off if you are suspected of engaging in homosexual activity. I also know that I have a strong spiritual foundation for what I believe, and my solution to the 'gay marriage' issue is agreed on by several of the most far left individuals on this board.

So you can continue you hate-filled rants against Christians, but it only serves to prove the point I have already made. Without a fundamental understanding of faith, it is easy to criticize it. Without the moral foundation of belief in something greater, it is easy to establish your own criteria for "good" and "bad" and live by those standards. You've helped to prove this very point... THANK YOU!!

Bravo! Excellent example of how people without a moral foundation or belief in something greater than self, have no concept of "good" or "evil" and it is merely a definition of personal standards. Wishing that people would die and rot, is not showing compassion for your "fellow brethren" (as Solitary puts it).

As for sentiments toward gays... I know of NO person of religious faith, who wants to "kill gays." NOT ONE! I do know, Fidel Castro (your hero) implemented a policy of putting gays in concentration camps in Cuba, beneath a sign which read; "Work will make men out of you!" I do know that alQaeda (whom you cheer lead for) will cut your head off if you are suspected of engaging in homosexual activity. I also know that I have a strong spiritual foundation for what I believe, and my solution to the 'gay marriage' issue is agreed on by several of the most far left individuals on this board.

So you can continue you hate-filled rants against Christians, but it only serves to prove the point I have already made. Without a fundamental understanding of faith, it is easy to criticize it. Without the moral foundation of belief in something greater, it is easy to establish your own criteria for "good" and "bad" and live by those standards. You've helped to prove this very point... THANK YOU!!

Did you know that in Cuba transgender surgery is without cost?

But that's beyond the points.

KILL CHRISTIANS!

Did you know that in Cuba transgender surgery is without cost?

But that's beyond the points.

KILL CHRISTIANS!
Better get on down there then. It's all better in Cuba. You can tell this because nobody fashions rafts out of car doors and floats across shark-infested waters to get out of there.

Fixating on Morals. That is pretty funny since morals can mean anything to anyone.
Hitler was very moral. So was stalin, Jesus, etc.

Dixies moreals are different from mine for which I am thankful.
I think mine are best and he thinks his are I am sure.

Better get on down there then. It's all better in Cuba. You can tell this because nobody fashions rafts out of car doors and floats across shark-infested waters to get out of there.

Just like nobody is dragged off the streets in another continent, drugged, hooded, bound and bundled into the back of a waiting plane to get in there.

Back