Justice Department to investigate destruction of CIA tapes

No, but I don’t think Desh meant it that way. I think she means it the same way I mean it. We saw them on television, and it was bad. They came out of a Robertson school. We can kind of tell why there were hired and it wasn’t for their legal minds.

I didn’t go to any fancy school either, so I am not putting people down. This seems a bit beyond the pale though.

yeah... u junior collegers shouldn't be puting others down or nuthin.

Agreed. But I wonder if Regents is leaving out part of the story on some legal theories due to the bias they clearly have.

I would be willing to bet that damn near every law professor injects her/his bias to some extent when teaching law. But bottom line, every lawyer in any given state still has to sit for the same bar exam.... do they not?

yes, on application of laws that are more vague you are going to tend to see bias pop up.... whether the lawyer is from Yale, Tulane or Regents.

Desh... do the lawyers from Regents get to skip the Bar exam? or do they have to take the same exam that lawyers from Yale take? (obviously I am assuming they are both sitting for the exam in the same state)

They have the lowest rate of passage of the bar exam in the state, reportedly.

You, in all likelyhood, wouldn't hire a Regent lawyer, if you were faced with a criminal felony, or other major legal matter.

Why do you want american taxpayers hiring 150 of them, when their law school is ranked virtually the worst in the nation?

“The changes resulted in a sometimes dramatic alteration to the profile of new hires beginning in 2003, as the Globe reported last year after obtaining resumes from 2001-2006 to three sections in the civil rights division. Conservative credentials rose, while prior experience in civil rights law and the average ranking of the law school attended by the applicant dropped.”

Thanks Desh, that’s a really enlightening article. It’s funny how Desh never turns out to be the idiot that some people, like my friend SF, call her, isn’t it SF?
In particular reference to the above excerpt I want to say, that experience counts too.

yeah, cause there is no bias in that article at all....

"and drawn a harsh spotlight to the administration's hiring of officials educated at smaller, conservative schools with sometimes marginal academic reputations."

But as usual, desh doesn't quote the portions of her own article that might lead others down a different path than she wants....

"Seven years ago, 60 percent of the class of 1999 -- Goodling's class -- failed the bar exam on the first attempt. (Goodling's performance was not available, though she is admitted to the bar in Virginia.) The dismal numbers prompted the school to overhaul its curriculum and tighten admissions standards.

It has also spent more heavily to recruit better-qualified law students. This year, it will spend $2.8 million on scholarships, a million more than what it was spending four years ago.

The makeover is working. The bar exam passage rate of Regent alumni , according to the Princeton Review, rose to 67 percent last year. Brauch said it is now up to 71 percent, and that half of the students admitted in the late 1990s would not be accepted today. The school has also recently won moot-court and negotiation competitions, beating out teams from top-ranked law schools.

Adding to Regent's prominence, its course on "Human Rights, Civil Liberties, and National Security" is co taught by one of its newest professors: Ashcroft.

Even a prominent critic of the school's mission of integrating the Bible with public policy vouches for Regent's improvements. Barry Lynn , the head of the liberal Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, said Regent is churning out an increasingly well-trained legal army for the conservative Christian movement.

"You can't underestimate the quality of a lot of the people that are there," said Lynn, who has guest-lectured at Regent and debated professors on its campus.

In light of Regent's rapid evolution, some current law students say it is frustrating to be judged in light of Regent alumni from the school's more troubled era -- including Goodling.

One third-year student, Chamie Riley , said she rejected the idea that any government official who invokes her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination could be a good representative of Regent.

As Christians, she said, Regent students know "you should be morally upright. You should not be in a situation where you have to plead the Fifth."

yeah, cause there is no bias in that article at all....

"and drawn a harsh spotlight to the administration's hiring of officials educated at smaller, conservative schools with sometimes marginal academic reputations."

But as usual, desh doesn't quote the portions of her own article that might lead others down a different path than she wants....

"Seven years ago, 60 percent of the class of 1999 -- Goodling's class -- failed the bar exam on the first attempt. (Goodling's performance was not available, though she is admitted to the bar in Virginia.) The dismal numbers prompted the school to overhaul its curriculum and tighten admissions standards.

It has also spent more heavily to recruit better-qualified law students. This year, it will spend $2.8 million on scholarships, a million more than what it was spending four years ago.

The makeover is working. The bar exam passage rate of Regent alumni , according to the Princeton Review, rose to 67 percent last year. Brauch said it is now up to 71 percent, and that half of the students admitted in the late 1990s would not be accepted today. The school has also recently won moot-court and negotiation competitions, beating out teams from top-ranked law schools.

Adding to Regent's prominence, its course on "Human Rights, Civil Liberties, and National Security" is co taught by one of its newest professors: Ashcroft.

Even a prominent critic of the school's mission of integrating the Bible with public policy vouches for Regent's improvements. Barry Lynn , the head of the liberal Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, said Regent is churning out an increasingly well-trained legal army for the conservative Christian movement.

"You can't underestimate the quality of a lot of the people that are there," said Lynn, who has guest-lectured at Regent and debated professors on its campus.

In light of Regent's rapid evolution, some current law students say it is frustrating to be judged in light of Regent alumni from the school's more troubled era -- including Goodling.

One third-year student, Chamie Riley , said she rejected the idea that any government official who invokes her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination could be a good representative of Regent.

As Christians, she said, Regent students know "you should be morally upright. You should not be in a situation where you have to plead the Fifth."

Umm SF, she didn’t quote any part of it, she gave a link so people could read it for themselves. And what you cherry picked out yourself, I already read, and it doesn’t mean anything in the context of whom Bush hired starting in 2001.

Not boasting that I never lost a case. Just never lost a case to that particular attorney and she is from a very highly regarded school. You know as much as I do that the US New Rankings are as much about the name of the school and who teaches there than anything else. Regent doesn't teach Contracts from some unknown textbook. Crim law is taught from LaFave just like it is in most every other law school in the US. The Bush Administration picked Regent grads because they were pandering to Robertson and they like the conservative bend from that school. But Desh thinks that because a school is a third or fourth tier school that those schools are teaching something other than the law or teaching unaccepted legal theories and you and I BOTH know that is bullshit.

So yes, Bush pandered to his constituents. Many Presidents have done the same. But bottom line, I think the bolded parts should be noted by both the author of Desh's article and Desh herself. As well as those that want to rip on the lawyers that pass the bar from Regents and act like they don't know the law. Yes, there are idiots from Regents Law. But there are idiots from every Yale too. Just look at our choices for President in 2004.... two morons.

Umm SF, she didn’t quote any part of it, she gave a link so people could read it for themselves. And what you cherry picked out yourself, I already read, and it doesn’t mean anything in the context of whom Bush hired starting in 2001.

Sorry, you are correct.... it was YOU who picked out a small piece of the article.

So yes, Bush pandered to his constituents. Many Presidents have done the same. But bottom line, I think the bolded parts should be noted by both the author of Desh's article and Desh herself. As well as those that want to rip on the lawyers that pass the bar from Regents and act like they don't know the law. Yes, there are idiots from Regents Law. But there are idiots from every Yale too. Just look at our choices for President in 2004.... two morons.

Listen, bottom line it’s ranked as tied for last place in the country. Don’t act like that has not meaning, because it does. And when I read that Bush, feeling the pressure of the circling torture “investigation”, and feeling he needs another personal lawyer, yelled out “Get me Goodling on the phone”, then I’ll re-evaluate my position. But until then, it’s a shit school, and they packed our justice department with it, and that’s not ok with me, if that’s ok with you.

The bar passage rate for Regent is 67.5% which is higher than Arizona State University, Texas Southern and Vermont. It is 161st on the list which is 24 places above the last place school. UNLV law school as a 68.9% passage rate and is ranked 155. If you want to see the whole list it is at http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/desc/Bar/2008

One of the things they don't tell you is that the number 1 and 2 schools that have 100% pass rates in their state automatically admit you to the bar if you stay in Wisconsin so don't be overly impressed with the pass rate of Marquette and UW Madson even though UW Madison is a really good school. If they had not accepted me for the next years class I would have gone but I did not know what to do for one year with a BA in government and philosophy other than wait tables.

The bar passage rate for Regent is 67.5% which is higher than Arizona State University, Texas Southern and Vermont. It is 161st on the list which is 24 places above the last place school. UNLV law school as a 68.9% passage rate and is ranked 155. If you want to see the whole list it is at http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/desc/Bar/2008

One of the things they don't tell you is that the number 1 and 2 schools that have 100% pass rates in their state automatically admit you to the bar if you stay in Wisconsin so don't be overly impressed with the pass rate of Marquette and UW Madson even though UW Madison is a really good school. If they had not accepted me for the next years class I would have gone but I did not know what to do for one year with a BA in government and philosophy other than wait tables.

Sorry, but MARQUETTE RULES BABY!!!

yeah... eat that ya northeast bastards.

:D

Try getting a BA in English Lit and then talk to me.

Yeah, I get from the link that they are spending a lot of money to improve, and they have somewhat, but the kids we have in that justice dept, hired from 2001 on, came straight out of the bottom of the barrel, and it shows.

Try getting a BA in English Lit and then talk to me.

Yeah, I get from the link that they are spending a lot of money to improve, and they have somewhat, but the kids we have in that justice dept, hired from 2001 on, came straight out of the bottom of the barrel, and it shows.

You got your BA in arts and crafts? how quaint. That does indeed explain a lot.

:bleh:

Holy shit did I just spend most of this post defending the school that is the home of the ACLJ and run by pat fricken robertson? I did! WTF is wrong with me!?

Back