Ken Burns: Trump is the opioid of all opioids.

As someone said earlier, Ken Burns is a national treasure. He is not considered a "Hollywood" film maker...or a Hollyweird one either. He is pretty much independent.
No, he's not. Never even heard of him until it was brought up here. I had to go look him up.

I've been a fan of his for decades...back since his Civil War series. That was one of televisions finest hours.
I rarely watch anything dealing with military history on television because it's almost always so full of misinformation, stupidity, and just wrong stuff I end up yelling at it and the wife gets mad about that.

I rarely watch anything dealing with military history on television because it's almost always so full of misinformation, stupidity, and just wrong stuff I end up yelling at it and the wife gets mad about that.
They can get a lot wrong.

This series was on PBS...and was outstanding. Burns was fair to both sides...by having commentators from both sides.

As a final punctuation mark of an address to the graduating class of Brandeis University, Ken Burns said:

“...(Trump) is the opioid of all opioids,” a drug meant to alleviate pain whereby “you end up re-enslaved with an even bigger problem, a worse affliction and addiction, a bigger delusion.”

Three cheers for Ken Burns...and then three more after those.
Ken Burns was non-political, but even he can see the danger that Trump poses to this country and it's democracy and freedoms?!! I would like to see the generals that were in the Trump administration come out publicly to denounce Trump too?!! It's not only America that is in peril if Trump is president again, but the stability of the world too?!! I for one will not live under a autocracy or Christian nationalism and will fight like hell to prevent it too?!! More celebrities need to speak out like Ken Burns did?!!

They can get a lot wrong.

This series was on PBS...and was outstanding. Burns was fair to both sides...by having commentators from both sides.
I just finished watching some of his Civil War series. Best to do so if I'm to comment on it. Not impressed. It is a narrative history fit for a 'coffee table' book. If you were someone with a passing interest in the Civil War, I suppose it would be a decent watch. For anyone who seriously studies it, it's all but worthless. Nothing is explained, there is just a narrative and even that is so general as to have little or no value.

12B? What does that mean?
12(b) - No sexual comments relating to minors. With the exception of news articles about the subject, or a mature discussion involving stats, how it effects people etc. or in regard to political public figures. (examples, video of Biden with children in the Senate, Trump images with his daughter in his lap, etc. stuff like that. If the political figure is a member of this board, you cannot bring it here though...) We especially DO NOT want ANY mention in ANY context about suggesting encounters with another member and a child, or with yourself and another poster's child, nor any mention of underage children of any members being sexually assaulted, sexually molested, raped, members being accused of pedophilia, suggesting members may have been molested as a kid, having vague references to any of the former, having a "clever" play on words with a wink and a nod that might suggest any of the former, any slight references, WE WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF IT. Do not try to approach the line to test us to see what one can get away with, if you approach the line, chances are you will not receive the benefit of the doubt.

I just finished watching some of his Civil War series. Best to do so if I'm to comment on it. Not impressed. It is a narrative history fit for a 'coffee table' book. If you were someone with a passing interest in the Civil War, I suppose it would be a decent watch. For anyone who seriously studies it, it's all but worthless. Nothing is explained, there is just a narrative and even that is so general as to have little or no value.
I guess you missed much of this guy. One of the most notable Civil War historians and a huge part of Burns series.
Shelby Dade Foote Jr. (November 17, 1916 – June 27, 2005) was an American writer, historian and journalist.[1] Although he primarily viewed himself as a novelist, he is now best known for his authorship of The Civil War: A Narrative, a three-volume history of the American Civil War.[2]

With geographic and cultural roots in the Mississippi Delta, Foote's life and writing paralleled the radical shift from the agrarian planter system of the Old South to the Civil Rights era of the New South. Foote was little known to the general public until his appearance in Ken Burns's PBS documentary The Civil War in 1990, where he introduced a generation of Americans to a war that he believed was "central to all our lives".[3]

Don't be proud of it.

Burns is famous for his award winning public television documentaries on The Civil War, The American Revolution, Baseball, The West, Country Music, and many others.
The world needs vapid coffee table books and documentaries too. I'm not putting him down for doing what he does, it simply has little or no value to me.

I guess you missed much of this guy. One of the most notable Civil War historians and a huge part of Burns series.
I prefer this series in four volumes

in reprint:

14598392729.jpg

It's akin to Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.

The world needs vapid coffee table books and documentaries too. I'm not putting him down for doing what he does, it simply has little or no value to me.
In that case serious documentary history has little or no value to you. What does? Nothing you post here suggests you have an interest in scholarship of any kind.

I prefer this series in four volumes

in reprint:

14598392729.jpg

It's akin to Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.
Says who? Gibbon was a great historian, looking back with an histotian’s perspective. These books are a collection of pieces from the 19th century by military figures of the war themselves, completely absent of historical perspective.

Again, says who?

12B? What does that mean?
If you go to the announcements section of the forum, there's a mod post with the rules. 12B is insinuating that another JPP poster has something to do with pedophilia. Either as a perp or a victim or just hinting around about it. If a RWer gets a 12b warning or time-out, Toxic will always insist that it really wasn't a violation. But if a LWer gets the same, it's always justified. Really. *eyeroll*

Back