Legislators aim to snuff out penalties for pot use

Damn straight. I didn't see in there - does it stand a chance of passing?

The Bush years have been dark ones on this topic, as well as many others.

I'm not sure. The big question is how would Obama vote if it went to the house?

Hey Ronbots check it out!

House Resolution 5843, titled the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008, would allow "a very small number of individuals" suffering from chronic pain or illness to smoke marijuana with impunity. The legislation is cosponsored by Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas.

If the govt. could figure out a way to control it and tax it, it would have been legal long ago. Over the objections of the whiskey companies.

"Hey, Whats that Smell?"

Plans for the Live Nation-promoted comedy tour, dubbed "Hey, What's That Smell?," will be unveiled Wednesday at a news conference at West Hollywood's Troubadour, where Cheech and Chong's druggie buddy act first gained traction in the early 1970s.

I'm there.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/702557?brand=none

Dave's not here man!

It's my favorite Bill EVER!!
Frank has been a leader in the effort as well as one of the dems best finance guys.

Yep we've been following it. Little chance of it passing though.

I think an Obama presidency will be sympathetic to this issue though. It is far and away my number one issue.

Victims of the Drug War are incarcerated, coerced into betraying their friends, have their suffrage revoked, are beaten bloody and robbed by police, and are routinely harassed by law enforcement all because they smoke a joint instead of drinking a beer. It is a lingering relic of racial oppression, and a systematic persecution of certain elements of society.

Last edited:
other sponsors
Rep Baldwin, Tammy [WI-2] - 5/20/2008 Rep Blumenauer, Earl [OR-3] - 6/24/2008
Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1] - 4/24/2008 Rep Lee, Barbara [CA-9] - 6/25/2008
Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16] - 5/22/2008 Rep McDermott, Jim [WA-7] - 6/5/2008
Rep Paul, Ron [TX-14] - 4/17/2008

it will get more votes than ever
Of course the anti-civil rights republicans will vote no in locked goose step

If the govt. could figure out a way to control it and tax it, it would have been legal long ago. Over the objections of the whiskey companies.

"Hey, Whats that Smell?"

Plans for the Live Nation-promoted comedy tour, dubbed "Hey, What's That Smell?," will be unveiled Wednesday at a news conference at West Hollywood's Troubadour, where Cheech and Chong's druggie buddy act first gained traction in the early 1970s.

I'm there.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/702557?brand=none

Dave's not here man!

That's not true. Pot would be no more difficult to control than tobacco or alcohol. I once asked Rep. John Boehner (R - Ohio) when he was running for his first term (I was in college at the time). I asked him that with pot being notably safer than either tobacco or alcohol, why didn't the government legalize it. His answer was pretty good, he said "Well we have enough problems with tobacco and alcohol."

Decriminlization is the key. It regulates trade with out creating a burden for the government to sanction and regulate a vice, while not bothering the responsbile user in their private use of the drug.

it will get more votes than ever
Of course the anti-civil rights republicans will vote no in locked goose step

That's becuase of older voters who still view pot in the same light as Heroine, cocaine and other hard drugs. I generational change is occuring and it's just a matter of time.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to pass. At least not unless I had taken a big ole gravity bong hit first.

Like the Clinton years were any better with regards to the war on drugs?

:lmao:

THAT said, it is about friggin time for legislation like this.

MJ should be treated like alcohol. Legal to buy. Legal to tax. Legal to use. But with harsh penalties if you drive under the influence or if you do anything that causes harm to another person while under the influence.

I'm not sure. The big question is how would Obama vote if it went to the house?

If he were smart, he would vote for it (assuming you meant that it went to the Senate). Those that are against the legalization aren't likely to be voting for him anyway.... and he might pick up some extra Indpendents in the process.

MJ should be treated like alcohol. Legal to buy. Legal to tax. Legal to use. But with harsh penalties if you drive under the influence or if you do anything that causes harm to another person while under the influence.

Yeah there is the problem, how to determine how much intoxicated you are on pot like alc ?

"Smoked marijuana has not withstood the rigors of science -- it is not medicine and it is not safe," the DEA states on its Web site.

Well that's awesome, because there are vaporizers that they used to sell that you could huff marijuania with, that carried no health risks.

But what did the government do with those?

OH YEAH! It BANNED them!

"Legalization of marijuana, no matter how it begins, will come at the expense of our children and public safety.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Back