Life on the fringes of U.S. suburbia becomes untenable

uscitizen

Villified User
Life on the fringes of U.S. suburbia becomes untenable with rising gas costs
By Peter S. Goodman
Published: June 24, 2008

ELIZABETH, Colorado: Suddenly, the economics of American suburban life are under assault as skyrocketing energy prices inflate the costs of reaching, heating and cooling homes on the outer edges of metropolitan areas.

Just off Singing Hills Road, in one of hundreds of two-story homes dotting a former cattle ranch beyond the southern fringes of Denver, Phil Boyle and his family openly wonder if they will have to move close to town to get some relief.

They still revel in the space and quiet that has drawn a steady exodus from U.S. cities toward places like this for more than half a century. Their living room ceiling soars two stories high. A swing-set sways in the breeze in their backyard. Their wrap-around porch looks out over the flat scrub of the high plains to the snow-capped peaks of the Rocky Mountains.

But life on the distant fringes of suburbia is beginning to feel untenable. Boyle and his wife must drive nearly an hour to their jobs in the high-tech corridor of southern Denver. With gasoline at more than $4 a gallon, Boyle recently paid $121 to fill his pickup truck with diesel. The price of propane to heat their spacious house has more than doubled in recent years.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/24/business/exurbs.php

By Peter S. Goodman

ELIZABETH, Colorado: Suddenly, the economics of American suburban life are under assault as skyrocketing energy prices inflate the costs of reaching, heating and cooling homes on the outer edges of metropolitan areas.

Just off Singing Hills Road, in one of hundreds of two-story homes dotting a former cattle ranch beyond the southern fringes of Denver, Phil Boyle and his family openly wonder if they will have to move close to town to get some relief.

They still revel in the space and quiet that has drawn a steady exodus from U.S. cities toward places like this for more than half a century. Their living room ceiling soars two stories high. A swing-set sways in the breeze in their backyard. Their wrap-around porch looks out over the flat scrub of the high plains to the snow-capped peaks of the Rocky Mountains.

But life on the distant fringes of suburbia is beginning to feel untenable. Boyle and his wife must drive nearly an hour to their jobs in the high-tech corridor of southern Denver. With gasoline at more than $4 a gallon, Boyle recently paid $121 to fill his pickup truck with diesel. The price of propane to heat their spacious house has more than doubled in recent years.

Its tougher and tougher to live out away from it all. I am saving up for a Tesla. But by the time I get one electricity will be too expensive.

Maybe the amish have the right idea. Except for no internet, air conditioning, refrigeration, stereo, electric lights, ........

Well, better keep earning money for the gasoline.

this is comical, Tad and buffy have to trade in the truck they didn't need for a hybrid.
OMFG, sounds like the great depression when its just a yuppie whinning about $200 month and they prob make over 100,000

Its tougher and tougher to live out away from it all. I am saving up for a Tesla. But by the time I get one electricity will be too expensive.

Maybe the amish have the right idea. Except for no internet, air conditioning, refrigeration, stereo, electric lights, ........

Well, better keep earning money for the gasoline.

My aunt lives in Ohio surrounded by Amish folk, man they are at her house all the time using her refrigerator and other items. They still live life as you described for the most part but they are no dummies, they take advantage of some modern amenities on occassion.

this is comical, Tad and buffy have to trade in the truck they didn't need for a hybrid.
OMFG, sounds like the great depression when its just a yuppie whinning about $200 month and they prob make over 100,000

A lot of the people living in suburbia are not rich yuppies.

My aunt lives in Ohio surrounded by Amish folk, man they are at her house all the time using her refrigerator and other items. They still live life as you described for the most part but they are no dummies, they take advantage of some modern amenities on occassion.

Many of the ajmish have stuff like refridgerators and phones in their parns, but not their homes. Letter of the law I suppose :)

By Peter S. Goodman

I know this guy. I even suggested a motorcycle and/or a hybrid...

Most people living in suburbs driving great distances are doing so because the pay is way higher in the city and the crime is way lower in the burbs. Notice the article mentioned his huge truck. Most of them are north of 40,000

Yeah and the car has been in existance about 2 years.

lithium cells have a maximum lifetime dude. The ones in my cell phones and stuff seem to die in about 4 years.

By Peter S. Goodman

I've been noticing a lot less SUVs on the road than a few years ago.

Can you imagine what these prices are doing to truckers?

Yeah and the car has been in existance about 2 years.

lithium cells have a maximum lifetime dude. The ones in my cell phones and stuff seem to die in about 4 years.
No, the Prius is in its second generation, has been since 2004, it has been in existence since 1993.

My parents have owned theirs for about a decade with no problems with their batteries.

And that still doesn't change that it makes living on the "fringe of suburbia" more tenable.

Most people living in suburbs driving great distances are doing so because the pay is way higher in the city and the crime is way lower in the burbs. Notice the article mentioned his huge truck. Most of them are north of 40,000

affordability is the other big issue as well. Of course the trade-off for buying a house is 1 1/2 to 2 hour commute each way but...

You can be north of $40k and certainly not be rich. In fact, if you are making $45k, paying a mortgage in the suburbs and commuting, you are barely surviving in most places.

Back