Life on the fringes of U.S. suburbia becomes untenable

The difference between a station wagon and an SUV is mainly height. Most SUVs that have 4 wheel drive are not really 4x4 sorta vehicles.

But the additional height does help you see what is going on up ahead.

When I drive my wife's little Kia, I cannot see beyond the car in front of me. When I drive the Yukon I can react according to what is going on much farther ahead.

I wonder will the terms "station wagon" and "mini van" come back into fashion now ?

Or are we stuck with "crossover" and "Maxi crossover" or something ?
Turbu-Maxi... Sounds like something from a commercial about women's products.

The difference between a station wagon and an SUV is mainly height. Most SUVs that have 4 wheel drive are not really 4x4 sorta vehicles.

But the additional height does help you see what is going on up ahead.

When I drive my wife's little Kia, I cannot see beyond the car in front of me. When I drive the Yukon I can react according to what is going on much farther ahead.

That's why I love my Jeep! My driving instructor, lo these many years ago, taught me to look not only at the vehicle directly in front of me but also at the next one in front of that. If I can't see at least two vehicles ahead I'm extremely uncomfortable and, if possible, will switch lanes just to see.

You were discussing batteries a while back. Last week, Bosch (my favorite tool manufacturer) and Samsung announced a joint venture to develop a new sort of lithium-ion automotive battery. We have experience with both these brands in our home, and given the quality of the Bosch tools I have and the reliability of the Samsung electronics, I'm confident that they will succeed beyond anything I can envision right now. I don't think it will take them very long, either. Given their announcement, I suspect that they have some very concrete plans and perhaps are near an early prototype already.

Yeah, because you need the height to see past the SUV in front of you.

The SUV, the pickup truck, the minivan, the stationwagon, the jeep, or whoever else is up there.

If you don't mind only being able to see the car in front of you, drive a small car that sits low.

The SUV, the pickup truck, the minivan, the stationwagon, the jeep, or whoever else is up there.

If you don't mind only being able to see the car in front of you, drive a small car that sits low.

I'm busy drafting the tractor-trailer in front of me.

As for the people behind you, fuck 'em. Who gives a shit if they can't see beyond your behemoth?

They chose the car they are driving, not me.

I drive a Yukon because of my job. A small car wouldn't do it for me.

Why does the title of the article use the word "untenable"? HYPERBOLE!

Inconvenient, yes; untenable, no.

Give up the Cable TV, and get a smaller car. Choices.

Why does the title of the article use the word "untenable"? HYPERBOLE!

Inconvenient, yes; untenable, no.

Give up the Cable TV, and get a smaller car. Choices.

I could do that. However, that would not help the environment or the traffic at all. My company would hire another person to fill my position and hand him the keys to the same Yukon I am driving. Nothing would change except my income. And when my income went down, there would be several bad things that happened. My kids would have trouble continuing their college education, my daughter would not have as many educational experiences, and at least two organizations would lose the charitable contributions I make to them.

But if everyone drives small cars or big cars this sort of negates the view thing. And of course on the interstate ans 18 wheeler drops in front anyway.
Need a ultra SUV (Status Upgrade Vehicle) for that one

I have to have a full sized vehicle. I tow heavy trailers and transport lots of training materials. A small car wouldn't do.

yes some people have a valid need for a larger vehicle, but most do not.

As I have said Status Upgrade Vehicle.

yes some people have a valid need for a larger vehicle, but most do not.

As I have said Status Upgrade Vehicle.

I agree.

But I do have difficulty with the "I see soccer moms on the highway all alone in a big SUV" comments. It means they somehow know what the needs of that particular person are, by just seeing them.

I agree.

But I do have difficulty with the "I see soccer moms on the highway all alone in a big SUV" comments. It means they somehow know what the needs of that particular person are, by just seeing them.

In other words, it means they are liberals?

In other words, it means they are liberals?

lmao Did it look like I was maligning anyone for their politics?

No, it means they are making judgements based on a split second view of the person. I think most people agree that I have a need for a full sized SUV. But if you see me travelling on the interstate after I deliver a fiber trailer and 20 boxes of hardware, you would just see one guy in an SUV.

No, if it only meant they were a liberal it wouldn't bother me.

lmao Did it look like I was maligning anyone for their politics?

No that's my job. :)

I just saw an easy opening for a usc-style one liner and I took it.

Seriously though, liberals do always seem to think they know precisely what each person needs to be happy, even when their views conflict with those of the individual.

some liberals are stupit too. Republicans do not have a monopoly on it.. competition and the law of supply and demand you know. Unfortunately the supply of stupid seems to be unlimited.

Back