Looking ahead to the college football season.

Well ok who outside of Alabama doesn’t like seeing them lose but if you want a region championship this year instead of a national one then it screws up everything as you know they will try like hell to put two SEC teams in the CFP. Things will get real crazy if Wisconsin wins. It may be that Wisconsin would be selected and, not unlike last year, Alabama chosen over the SEC champion.

The only way the four team play off can work, over the long haul, is if non-conference champions are excluded.

The four top teams need to be in whether conference champions or not.

If OSU beats Wisconsin, and there are less than 4 teams that are power five conference champions with better records, than OSU will have earned a spot in the CFP. Unlike last year.

Ohio State squeezed in last year,then got the shit kicked out of them by Clemson!
Clearly OSU wasn't a top 4 team

The four top teams need to be in whether conference champions or not.

Disagree.
Even if Alabama was hands down the second best team in the country they essentially lost their first playoff game.
Plus, imagine this scenario... Auburn will have a rematch with GA, then they could potentially end up with a rematch against Clemson and Alabama. Yuck!
Personally I think winning your conference championship is a prerequisite to be in the 4 team playoff.

Ohio State squeezed in last year,then got the shit kicked out of them by Clemson!
Clearly OSU wasn't a top 4 team

Ohio State should not have been selected last year. They didn’t even win their division let alone their conference and didn’t earn it and OSU proved it in their loss to Clemson. No team that hasn’t won their conference has earned the privilege to play for the national championship.

This year OSU, if the beat undeafeted Wisconsin will have the three biggest wins of any team in the nation and will have won the toughest conference in the nation this year. If OSU wins next week they have a better than 50% shot at being selected and, unlike last year, will have earned it.

Last edited:
You’re not a top team, by definition, if you don’t win your conference and, objectively, you haven’t earned it if you don’t win your conference.

Since the requirements for the playoffs don't mention anything about conference championships, it shouldn't be the end all that so many thing.

Mott, you and I have had this conversation before. Last year, Penn State had 2 losses. Including 1 to a team, Pitt, that was unranked ans ended the year with an 8-5 record. OSU had only 1 loss. To the conference champion. The playoffs should be based on the entire season. The committee made the right choice.

Since the requirements for the playoffs don't mention anything about conference championships, it shouldn't be the end all that so many thing.

Mott, you and I have had this conversation before. Last year, Penn State had 2 losses. Including 1 to a team, Pitt, that was unranked ans ended the year with an 8-5 record. OSU had only 1 loss. To the conference champion. The playoffs should be based on the entire season. The committee made the right choice.
yes we did have this discussion and the committee was wrong. It should be based on earning it by objective criteria and people’s opinions be damned.

That would involve more than 4 teams. An 8 team playoff would make that possible.

Yep. Let's say you have a scenario where USC, Oklahoma, OSU, Alabubba, and Clemson are conference champions. Then, three additional teams are assessed and let in (say, Memphis, Michigan, and Miami). The WC would be the only way in for ND and BYU, if they continue to be independents, but, the committee would still seed the WC teams based upon rankings. The top two seeded teams would get a bye week. It's really quite simple, and obviously too simple and logical for the NCAA to currently grasp, but, it is likely inevitable.

I can't agree because circumstances come up,but for the most part you're right.

No. I am right. It’s completely objective to use the criteria that to qualify for the CFP you must win your conference. It’s an objective goal that you must accomplish to EARN the opportunity.

By using objective criteria we don’t get nonsense like the SEC mythology enforced on us.

Yep. Let's say you have a scenario where USC, Oklahoma, OSU, Alabubba, and Clemson are conference champions. Then, three additional teams are assessed and let in (say, Memphis, Michigan, and Miami). The WC would be the only way in for ND and BYU, if they continue to be independents, but, the committee would still seed the WC teams based upon rankings. The top two seeded teams would get a bye week. It's really quite simple, and obviously too simple and logical for the NCAA to currently grasp, but, it is likely inevitable.
That’s not the issue. To have an 8 team CFP you would need to give up a regular season game and the power five teams are unwilling to do that.

That’s not the issue. To have an 8 team CFP you would need to give up a regular season game and the power five teams are unwilling to do that.

The power five teams already give-up three games every season; I'm not sure what they have to complain about. It's the FCS that would be losing-out in this scenario.

No. I am right. It’s completely objective to use the criteria that to qualify for the CFP you must win your conference. It’s an objective goal that you must accomplish to EARN the opportunity.

By using objective criteria we don’t get nonsense like the SEC mythology enforced on us.

There are obvious scenarios that show a conference championship should not be the criteria for the playoffs. As I have said, last year OSU was the best team in the Big10. Another example would be the SEC Championship games of the last few years. Last year, Alabama was undefeated going into the SEC Championship, while Florida was 8-3. As we have seen many, many times, it is possible for any team to lay an egg and have a bad day. Or for an underdog to take huge risks in a game they are expected to lose. If Florida had managed to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship game, would you want a 9-3 team in the playoff instead of a 10-1 team?

This year Ohio State lost to Iowa. Would you want your entire season to rest on the results of a single game, BEFORE any bowls or playoffs?

The last several years, the SEC east has sucked. But does winning one game put them in the playoffs?

No. There must be more to it than winning your conference. Fluke games happen. The entire season should be what gets you there.

And while I am on the topic of the entire season, why is a loss in September just a minor bump, but a loss in November is a deal-breaker?

As for the superiority of the SEC being mythology, that is simply inaccurate. In the last few years it has been Alabama and then everyone else. But for a number of years the SEC teams were killing everyone. The BCS was won by SEC teams over and over. And against Big10 Champs, Big12 Champs, ACC Champs and independents. But these things rotate. There have been stretches where the Big10 was on top of things.

And one last argument. I firmly believe that an 8 team playoff would be better than what we have now. Want that to come to pass? Let one conference put two teams in the playoffs and have the championship game involve only one conference. Change would happen. It worked when the SEC had LSU v. Alabama for the crystal football. Suddenly the holdouts were fine with a playoff.

There are obvious scenarios that show a conference championship should not be the criteria for the playoffs. As I have said, last year OSU was the best team in the Big10. Another example would be the SEC Championship games of the last few years. Last year, Alabama was undefeated going into the SEC Championship, while Florida was 8-3. As we have seen many, many times, it is possible for any team to lay an egg and have a bad day. Or for an underdog to take huge risks in a game they are expected to lose. If Florida had managed to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship game, would you want a 9-3 team in the playoff instead of a 10-1 team?

This year Ohio State lost to Iowa. Would you want your entire season to rest on the results of a single game, BEFORE any bowls or playoffs?

The last several years, the SEC east has sucked. But does winning one game put them in the playoffs?

No. There must be more to it than winning your conference. Fluke games happen. The entire season should be what gets you there.

And while I am on the topic of the entire season, why is a loss in September just a minor bump, but a loss in November is a deal-breaker?

As for the superiority of the SEC being mythology, that is simply inaccurate. In the last few years it has been Alabama and then everyone else. But for a number of years the SEC teams were killing everyone. The BCS was won by SEC teams over and over. And against Big10 Champs, Big12 Champs, ACC Champs and independents. But these things rotate. There have been stretches where the Big10 was on top of things.

And one last argument. I firmly believe that an 8 team playoff would be better than what we have now. Want that to come to pass? Let one conference put two teams in the playoffs and have the championship game involve only one conference. Change would happen. It worked when the SEC had LSU v. Alabama for the crystal football. Suddenly the holdouts were fine with a playoff.

Actually that’s why it was called the SEC mythology. The SEC wasn’t dominating in nonconference play. They were batting 0.500.

With a conference championship being a completely objective requirement that you have to earn. It also creates a true national representation for a national championship and eliminates vested interest from manipulating the process as ESPN did to create the SEC mythology.

Threedee is right that the best scenario for a national championship is 8 team playoff with five automatic bids and three wildcards. Even better realign Div 1 into 8 conferences with automatic bids and the knowledge you win your conference or go home. That works because you then have a 16 team playoff and every conference gets two teams in the playoff.

I mean I’m utterly unsympathetic to Alabama’s plight this year and OSU’s last year. Shoot they weren’t even the best teams in their division, let alone their conference.

Though I’m sure you’ll be pulling for OSU, TCU and Auburn next weekend cause if OK, WI and GA wins then Bama will be stuck in 5th.

Last edited:
Back