marginal tax rates for 100 years on top 1%

We have a progressive tax system. The wealthy do pay more.

When you start getting into ranges above 40%, it is most definitely punitive. Even that is too high for any citizen to pay.

Go look at the chart oncler they top 1% payed 50% for years under Reagan.

they can do it again and everyone will still be fine.

They benifit the most from our infrastructure by gaining off its production value.

Its not punative its smart and works.

Go look at the chart oncler they top 1% payed 50% for years under Reagan.

they can do it again and everyone will still be fine.

They benifit the most from our infrastructure by gaining off its production value.

Its not punative its smart and works.

There is no causation in the chart.

People work for decades to get up to a high income level. When they get there, you think it's "fine" to say "we're going to take half your income now." And that is not counting sales taxes, property taxes & other gov't fees.

I think that is sinister. It really offends me on a very core level. The money they earn is not something you are entitled to.

And I still haven't heard a peep about maybe trying to address gov't inefficiency & wasteful spending first.

The country is entitled to it if they choose to.

These people make money off our infrastructure, they have been taxed at 90+ in our past and they still made more money than you can even imagine.

The country is entitled to it if they choose to.

These people make money off our infrastructure, they have been taxed at 90+ in our past and they still made more money than you can even imagine.

What are you talking about with "making money off of our infrastructure?" People at higher income levels make money in a huge variety of different ways; there is no cookie cutter "rich person."

The fact that they have been taxed at 90% in the past is meaningless to me. We had slaves in the past, also. That doesn't make anything right.

You're wrong on this. I am as committed a leftie as just about anyone, but I would not vote Democrat if they did this, and there are plenty like me. The money people earn is not an "entitlement" for the country. We all enter into a social contract that involves taxes, but taking over half of someone's income is criminal.

Damo many struggling people pay taxes.
Come down from Camelot and smell the crap.
The only crap is the stuff you are spewing. Emotive craptastic reasoning based on what you want to feel rather than reality. 40% of the nation do not pay income taxes. Of that 40% well over 50% of them are net tax receivers.

Unless you suggest that over 40% of the nation are struggling to make ends meet then you are just spouting off without any knowledge so you can "feel" that people are unjustly taxed.

On principle, I don't think anyone should have to pay more than one third of their income on taxes.

Gov't should be focusing on ways to make bureaucracy more efficient, and waste less taxpayer money. I support ideas like universal healthcare, but do it in a way that delivers real cost savings.

Well, on principal, rich people shouldn't abuse the power of state to effect markets to their advantage to the detriment of everyone else.

What are you talking about with "making money off of our infrastructure?" People at higher income levels make money in a huge variety of different ways; there is no cookie cutter "rich person."

The fact that they have been taxed at 90% in the past is meaningless to me. We had slaves in the past, also. That doesn't make anything right.

You're wrong on this. I am as committed a leftie as just about anyone, but I would not vote Democrat if they did this, and there are plenty like me. The money people earn is not an "entitlement" for the country. We all enter into a social contract that involves taxes, but taking over half of someone's income is criminal.

A missed point is that the "infrastructure" the wealthy use they mostly already paid for.

We have a progressive tax system. The wealthy do pay more.

When you start getting into ranges above 40%, it is most definitely punitive. Even that is too high for any citizen to pay.

Meh.

50% isn't too high for a person making 5 million a years to pay. Maybe it isn't an ideal tax rate, but it isn't outrageous.

There is no causation in the chart.

People work for decades to get up to a high income level. When they get there, you think it's "fine" to say "we're going to take half your income now." And that is not counting sales taxes, property taxes & other gov't fees.

I think that is sinister. It really offends me on a very core level. The money they earn is not something you are entitled to.

And I still haven't heard a peep about maybe trying to address gov't inefficiency & wasteful spending first.

You are making a dumb emotional argument.

Last edited:
15% tax on all income, no deductions.
You make 10K you pay 15%, you make 1 billion pay 15%.
The truely fair tax.

Are you fucking retarded? High tax rates on the wealthy (~50 percent or greater) yield less revenue than lower rates. In other words, it is counterproductive. Even Watermark will admit to that.

I don't know what the rate is, but it should be somewhere around 50%.

Of course, we should take more into account than simply setting it so that the government can get the most possible out of it. It's just around that rate that cutting taxes actually results in less revenue, and so "reaganomics" becomes useless.

The 90% tax rates in the US and Britian in the 50's were persued mainly because of the social "justice" they encouraged. I think it was even known that they wouldn't bring in more revenue.

VERY HIGH taxes on the wealthy (about 90%) thus giving them every incentive to reinvest profits back into industry rather than pay taxes on it.

A friend of mine said this and I think hes right.

If they have to invest it to keep from paying taxes on it then maybe we should go back to the Great depression times tax rates on the 1%, hell they made us spend a shit load to fix their mess.

VERY HIGH taxes on the wealthy (about 90%) thus giving them every incentive to reinvest profits back into industry rather than pay taxes on it.

A friend of mine said this and I think hes right.

If they have to invest it to keep from paying taxes on it then maybe we should go back to the Great depression times tax rates on the 1%, hell they made us spend a shit load to fix their mess.

LOL. That, if it worked, would encourage more production and have a negative effect on demand.

Back