Marine Corps surpasses recruiting goal

Socrtease

Verified User
All military services met or exceeded their April targets
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24584577/

WASHINGTON - The Marine Corps far surpassed its recruiting goal last month and could eventually be more than a year ahead of schedule in its plan to grow the force to 202,000 members.

All military services met or exceeded their monthly recruiting goals in April, with the Marine Corps signing 142 percent of the number it was looking for, the Pentagon said.

The Army signed 101 percent of its goal, recruiting 5,681 against a goal of 5,650. The Navy and Air Force met their goals — 2,905 sailors and 2,435 airmen.

The Marine Corps enlisted 2,233 recruits against a goal of 1,577.

"The Marine Corps, if they continue to achieve the kind of success they have had, could meet their growth figures more than a year early," Defense Department spokesman Bryan Whitman told Pentagon reporters. That would mean by around the end of 2009.

Stretched thin by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Pentagon last year recommended that the Army be increased by about 65,000 soldiers to a total of 547,000, and the Marines be increased by 27,000 to 202,000.

Recruiting is easier in a slow economy, which limits other job possibilities that are available. But officials also noted that the Army and Marines have added recruiters as well as bonuses and other special benefits to attract more recruits in the midst of the unpopular war in Iraq.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

For some strange reason, I'm still thinking the recruiters are mostly going into poor urban and rural neighborhoods, to tease working class kids with 20 thousand dollar bonuses, to go kill the evil doers. And that the recruiters are bypassing opportunities at local college republican club meetings.

The recruiters ar hitting up our colonies pretty heavially, with a fast track to citizenship and such if I remember correctly.

I also remember reading they are accepting more violent felons now as well.

The recruiters ar hitting up our colonies pretty heavially, with a fast track to citizenship and such if I remember correctly.

I also remember reading they are accepting more violent felons now as well.
If they are born in a territory they are citizens.

Link?

I've heard that they are waivering non-violent, but never violent, crimes.

Manslaughter and sexual assualt.

More felons allowed to enlist in Army, Marines

Both the Army and Marine Corps are struggling to increase their numbers

WASHINGTON - Under pressure to meet combat needs, the Army and Marine Corps brought in significantly more recruits with felony convictions last year than in 2006, including some with manslaughter and sex crime convictions.

Data released by a congressional committee shows the number of soldiers admitted to the Army with felony records jumped from 249 in 2006 to 511 in 2007. And the number of Marines with felonies rose from 208 to 350. Those numbers represent a fraction of the more than 180,000 recruits brought in by the active duty Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines during fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2007. But they highlight a trend that has raised concerns both within the military and on Capitol Hill

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24243460/

Thanks Cypress. Never felons Damo ?
I said I "heard that they allowed non-violent..."

I didn't say "not felons".

Please be accurate.

I asked for a link and made no direct statement other than what I had heard. Don't be a jerk now.

Back