Marine Corps surpasses recruiting goal

Play the word games all you want Damo the reality is you were wrong. Live with it.
How can I be wrong when I asked a question?

I get tired of people insisting I have made some sort of statement I have not.

I was careful in my wording. I have heard that they do not let in violent offenders and I asked for a link that said otherwise if you had it. I even thanked the person who provided it. It is not a game to be accurate.

I was honestly seeking information while giving what I had heard. I didn't say, "They never do that." because I was not sure that they 'never do that'.

http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/army_recruiting_standards/2007/10/28/44647.html

This is a good post from last October and it shows the number of moral character waivers and the fact that HS diplomas among enlistees was down to 79%. The end of the article has a quote by Dr. Lawrence Korb, senior fellow at the Center for American Progress and assistant secretary for manpower and reserve under President Reagan said “The Army is going day to day, just praying this war ends. We’ll be paying the price for lowering enlistment standards for 10 years.”

I now anxiously await WRL telling us all how Korb is a no account American hater.

If they didn't allow felons they would be accused of being racist....

so now everybody's happy...

They've always allowed felons with waivers. However when I was joining they wouldn't allow any felonies of moral turpitude. You'd have the occasional dui guy, maybe a guy who hit somebody with a car, but never direct assault. I'm wondering how much they have changed the rules.

Army, Marines give waivers to more felons

updated 5:09 p.m. EDT, Mon April 21, 2008

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/21/military.waivers/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Army and Marine Corps are allowing convicted felons to serve in increasing numbers, newly released Department of Defense statistics show.

Recruits were allowed to enlist after having been convicted of crimes including assault, burglary, drug possession and making terrorist threats.

The statistics were released by Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat who chairs the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

He has given the Pentagon a month to hand over up-to-date details on the number of waivers granted, reports on how the recruits have performed and information about how the waivers are related to meeting recruitment goals.

Pentagon statistics show the Army granted 511 felony waivers in 2007, just over twice the 249 it granted the year before. The Army aims to recruit more than 80,000 new soldiers a year.

The Marines -- which recruits fewer new service members each year than the Army -- also reported a rise in waivers for felonies, with 350 granted in 2007, compared with 208 in 2006.

"There was a rapid rise in 2007 in the number of waivers the Army and Marine Corps granted to recruits convicted of serious felonies," Waxman said in a letter Monday to David Chu, the under-secretary of defense for personnel and readiness.

"I understand that there can be valid reasons for personnel waivers and recognize the importance of providing opportunities to individuals who have served their sentences and rehabilitated themselves.

"At the same time, concerns have been raised that the significant increase in the recruitment of persons with criminal records is a result of the strain put on the military by the Iraq war and may be undermining military readiness," he charged.

The Army defended its use of waivers as a response to a changing American society, arguing that only three in 10 Americans of military age "meet all our stringent medical, moral, aptitude or administrative requirements."

"Today's young men and women are more overweight, have a greater incidence of asthma, and are being charged for offenses that in earlier years wouldn't have been considered a serious offense, and might not have resulted in charges in the first place," John P. Boyce Jr. of Army Public Affairs said in a statement to CNN.

He said the Army never issues waivers for some types of offenses, including sexual violence, alcoholism and drug trafficking.

But the Pentagon statistics showed the Army allowed 106 convicted burglars to enlist in 2007, up from 36 the year before. It also granted waivers to 43 recruits convicted of aggravated assault that year, up from 33 a year before; and to 130 people convicted of possession of drugs other than marijuana, a rise from 71 in 2006.

It also allowed two people convicted of making terrorist or bomb threats to enlist in 2007, up from one the year before.

The Marines did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The Navy reported a slight decline in felony waivers, from 48 in 2006 to 42 in 2007. The Air Force said it granted no felony waivers in either year

Seriously, out of how many recruits, 500 in total had felon records? A handful of those were violent offenses?

You guys are nitpicking. Even if there would've been no felons it would've been a record year.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Dingbat here makes the point of the thread. 500 "felons" are not why there is record recruitment. Its a bizarre sort of shame that this field of grown men was outsmarted by this nitwit kid.

All military services met or exceeded their April targets
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24584577/

WASHINGTON - The Marine Corps far surpassed its recruiting goal last month and could eventually be more than a year ahead of schedule in its plan to grow the force to 202,000 members.

All military services met or exceeded their monthly recruiting goals in April, with the Marine Corps signing 142 percent of the number it was looking for, the Pentagon said.

The Army signed 101 percent of its goal, recruiting 5,681 against a goal of 5,650. The Navy and Air Force met their goals — 2,905 sailors and 2,435 airmen.

The Marine Corps enlisted 2,233 recruits against a goal of 1,577.

"The Marine Corps, if they continue to achieve the kind of success they have had, could meet their growth figures more than a year early," Defense Department spokesman Bryan Whitman told Pentagon reporters. That would mean by around the end of 2009.

Stretched thin by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Pentagon last year recommended that the Army be increased by about 65,000 soldiers to a total of 547,000, and the Marines be increased by 27,000 to 202,000.

Recruiting is easier in a slow economy, which limits other job possibilities that are available. But officials also noted that the Army and Marines have added recruiters as well as bonuses and other special benefits to attract more recruits in the midst of the unpopular war in Iraq.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

This is interesting. I am kicking around in my mind, a piece I want to write about "supporting the troops". And the question I want to ask is, how does one support a troop who joins now? Because I can't.

I can use this information, thanks.

Why do you say that? Are you saying that the felons are all blacks?

Every day another racist statement by anothr repuke, dead silence from the rest of them and you know why?

Because they know racism is the only thing might win them this election, and they need to pretend it doesn't exist while at the same time, counting on it.

"the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who stayed neutral" Dante.

updated 5:09 p.m. EDT, Mon April 21, 2008

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/21/military.waivers/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Army and Marine Corps are allowing convicted felons to serve in increasing numbers, newly released Department of Defense statistics show.

Recruits were allowed to enlist after having been convicted of crimes including assault, burglary, drug possession and making terrorist threats.

The statistics were released by Rep. Henry Waxman, a California Democrat who chairs the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

He has given the Pentagon a month to hand over up-to-date details on the number of waivers granted, reports on how the recruits have performed and information about how the waivers are related to meeting recruitment goals.

Pentagon statistics show the Army granted 511 felony waivers in 2007, just over twice the 249 it granted the year before. The Army aims to recruit more than 80,000 new soldiers a year.

The Marines -- which recruits fewer new service members each year than the Army -- also reported a rise in waivers for felonies, with 350 granted in 2007, compared with 208 in 2006.

"There was a rapid rise in 2007 in the number of waivers the Army and Marine Corps granted to recruits convicted of serious felonies," Waxman said in a letter Monday to David Chu, the under-secretary of defense for personnel and readiness.

"I understand that there can be valid reasons for personnel waivers and recognize the importance of providing opportunities to individuals who have served their sentences and rehabilitated themselves.

"At the same time, concerns have been raised that the significant increase in the recruitment of persons with criminal records is a result of the strain put on the military by the Iraq war and may be undermining military readiness," he charged.

The Army defended its use of waivers as a response to a changing American society, arguing that only three in 10 Americans of military age "meet all our stringent medical, moral, aptitude or administrative requirements."

"Today's young men and women are more overweight, have a greater incidence of asthma, and are being charged for offenses that in earlier years wouldn't have been considered a serious offense, and might not have resulted in charges in the first place," John P. Boyce Jr. of Army Public Affairs said in a statement to CNN.

He said the Army never issues waivers for some types of offenses, including sexual violence, alcoholism and drug trafficking.

But the Pentagon statistics showed the Army allowed 106 convicted burglars to enlist in 2007, up from 36 the year before. It also granted waivers to 43 recruits convicted of aggravated assault that year, up from 33 a year before; and to 130 people convicted of possession of drugs other than marijuana, a rise from 71 in 2006.

It also allowed two people convicted of making terrorist or bomb threats to enlist in 2007, up from one the year before.

The Marines did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The Navy reported a slight decline in felony waivers, from 48 in 2006 to 42 in 2007. The Air Force said it granted no felony waivers in either year
Seriously, these numbers don't make the difference in their recruiting goals. I can't understand what benefit they see from this.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Dingbat here makes the point of the thread. 500 "felons" are not why there is record recruitment. Its a bizarre sort of shame that this field of grown men was outsmarted by this nitwit kid.

I didn't read the whole thread, but my recollection is that Damo said that the army NEVER gives waivers to violent felons. In fact, the army does. I, for one, never asserted there was waves of thousands of violent felons being admitted.

I didn't read the whole thread, but my recollection is that Damo said that the army NEVER gives waivers to violent felons. In fact, the army does. I, for one, never asserted there was waves of thousands of violent felons being admitted.
What part of "I heard" makes disingenuous people think that it is a definitive statement? I think you are being a turd purposefully now.

This is interesting. I am kicking around in my mind, a piece I want to write about "supporting the troops". And the question I want to ask is, how does one support a troop who joins now? Because I can't.

I can use this information, thanks.

yeah I have the same quandry....

Back