Massachusetts in play???

But elections are almost always close, particularly when there is no incumbent running. Why should this one be any different?

But elections are almost always close, particularly when there is no incumbent running. Why should this one be any different?

While I never thought it would be the blowout that some people did, this environment is ripe for Dem victories. In the House, Senate and the WH. People are pissed at Reps in General. They were hyped up about Obama.

The stage was set for a 6-8 point win (my opinion). For him to be this close to McCain shows that the country is not quite sure what to make of him right now. Part of it is due to what BAC mentioned. He is shifting hard to the center in the general which is pissing off many that propelled him to victory in the primary.

Given the oratorial skills of the two... Obama should have propelled himself to an even greater lead at this point. Especially after his mostly successful trip to Europe and the Mid East.

Part of the reason is also as Darla mentions... he is taking blows but not effectively returning any shots. He picks up Biden and that will change quickly.

You forgot the other reason Darla always mentions that no one wants to talk about.

He’s black. That was always going to lose him A couple of points, I just was never sure exactly how much. I think it’s more than I had hoped.

You forgot the other reason Darla always mentions that no one wants to talk about.

He’s black. That was always going to lose him A couple of points, I just was never sure exactly how much. I think it’s more than I had hoped.

No, I did not forget. I just don't think it is as big of a factor as you think. I also think that the effect that any who might be voting based on race was already in place as soon as he won the nomination. Thus, I don't think that is effecting the current slide. I think those people have already made up their mind not to vote for Obama.

No, I did not forget. I just don't think it is as big of a factor as you think. I also think that the effect that any who might be voting based on race was already in place as soon as he won the nomination. Thus, I don't think that is effecting the current slide. I think those people have already made up their mind not to vote for Obama.

That seems like it makes sense, until you look deeper. How much easier is it to demonize him to a swing-voter on the fence? How much faster does that guy turn against him and say, Oh I can’t take that chance?

I think it’s still in play.

In other words, yes I think it’s the negative campaign being run against him, but I think it’s so effective, partly (and only partly) because of race. I also think he would have initially been farther ahead if he were white, and male. I think a white female would be right about where he was at.

STOP. please.. we cant even get rid of blatantly corrupt democrat legislature. People would still vote for a convicted child molester if he/she was a dem in this state.

STOP. please.. we cant even get rid of blatantly corrupt democrat legislature. People would still vote for a convicted child molester if he/she was a dem in this state.

The Republicans put up a pretty pissant opposition in your state, and that gives the Dems a lot of power. Power turns anyone into a corrupt bastard.

That seems like it makes sense, until you look deeper. How much easier is it to demonize him to a swing-voter on the fence? How much faster does that guy turn against him and say, Oh I can’t take that chance?

I think it’s still in play.

In other words, yes I think it’s the negative campaign being run against him, but I think it’s so effective, partly (and only partly) because of race. I also think he would have initially been farther ahead if he were white, and male. I think a white female would be right about where he was at.

Perhaps you will turn out to be correct. I just don't think the swing voters are the ones that are going to give a shit about race.

I agree that the ads have had an effect against his numbers, but it is similar to the downturn that Gore and Kerry experienced. That is why I don't think this is about race when it comes to the swing votes. Obviously I am basing that on my personal views and experiences and of course could be wrong and it could be that racism is more prevalent than I think it is.

dude... the whole MA in play thing was a joke. I put it out there because it had dipped somehow into single digits in the latest poll. Only Jarod thought I was serious. Humorless bastard that he is. :)

I don't agree with that. He's not persuading lots of people who don't care that he's black, and at the same time turning off others who were attracted to his message. There is a noticable change even within the black community, even among many who were for him because he's black.

His being black didn't keep him from defeating the most powerful political family in the last 40 years.

I don't have a problem talking about him being black or the challenges he faces because of it. However, his problem is less about his race and more about his character and lack of political courage.

Absolutely there is an element who won't vote for him because of his race, and absolutely racism ain't going nowhere in the US .. but we give that element too much power by always focusing on them instead of the power of us.

After Bush Americans would elect a goose if they thought it could save them.

I don't agree with that. He's not persuading lots of people who don't care that he's black, and at the same time turning off others who were attracted to his message. There is a noticable change even within the black community, even among many who were for him because he's black.

His being black didn't keep him from defeating the most powerful political family in the last 40 years.

I don't have a problem talking about him being black or the challenges he faces because of it. However, his problem is less about his race and more about his character and lack of political courage.

Absolutely there is an element who won't vote for him because of his race, and absolutely racism ain't going nowhere in the US .. but we give that element too much power by always focusing on them instead of the power of us.

After Bush Americans would elect a goose if they thought it could save them.

Yeah we definitely disagree. There has been some very overt racism, Toby Keith being the latest and most disgusting example. I read a scary story in Newsweek over the weekend, interviewing white southerners, and they are even dumber than I thought. And I thought they were dumb. The racism there, was also overt.

Your theory, I think, is that Obama is losing the left, people like you. He’s not losing that many of them, in my opinion. If that was what was affecting his numbers, they would have dropped the week he voted for the wiretapping legislation. They dropped this week, after he was mercilessly and dishonestly pounded by the right. The negative campaigning is working. Why is it working so fast and so well? Race is a part of it.

I really have to ask, who the hell is McCain attracting bac? And how is he doing it? Come on, you know how horrific he is. He's not attracting anybody, at this point in the game, except the anti-obama vote.

Yep ..let's just ignore the left .. Obama doesn't need them.

Sure .. we'll see.
The LEFT is not the whole country. You lefties have become JUST as intractible at the right. You will not compromise, you want wealth punished, you want your country to be pacifist. Are you are completely unwilling to vote for someone that will get you closer to what you want than not? If not then YOU on the left get what you deserve, because since 1980 the United States has shown a willingness to vote a democrat into the Whitehouse a grand total of ONE TIME. Seems that even remotely left leaning candidates can't get elected. But keep tilting at windmills and see where it gets you with President McCain.

Yes Pacifist nations are not long for this world. We should not be engaged in pre-emptive wars, but Afghanistan was never a pre-emptive war.

When has there ever been a pacificst nation? If America were a pacifist nation, there never would have been a 9/11. Warmongers murdered 3000 people and then they murdered another 4000 of our soldiers and several hundred thousand Iraqui's and Afghan's.

Back