McCain Used Wife’s Jet for Little Cost

uscitizen

Villified User
April 27, 2008
By BARRY MEIER and MARGOT WILLIAMS

Given Senator John McCain’s signature stance on campaign finance reform, it was not surprising that he backed legislation last year requiring presidential candidates to pay the actual cost of flying on corporate jets. The law, which requires campaigns to pay charter rates when using such jets rather than cheaper first-class fares, was intended to reduce the influence of lobbyists and create a level financial playing field.

But over a seven-month period beginning last summer, Mr. McCain’s cash-short campaign gave itself an advantage by using a corporate jet owned by a company headed by his wife, Cindy McCain, according to public records. For five of those months, the plane was used almost exclusively for campaign-related purposes, those records show.

Mr. McCain’s campaign paid a total of $241,149 for the use of that plane from last August through February, records show. That amount is approximately the cost of chartering a similar jet for a month or two, according to industry estimates.

The senator was able to fly so inexpensively because the law specifically exempts aircraft owned by a candidate or his family or by a privately held company they control. The Federal Election Commission adopted rules in December to close the loophole — rules that would have required substantial payments by candidates using family-owned planes — but the agency soon lost the requisite number of commissioners needed to complete the rule making.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/us/politics/27plane.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&adxnnlx=1209312165-qmBLUa0rHxMdCphy/8FTfQ

This whole issue is...

April 27, 2008

Given Senator John McCain’s signature stance on campaign finance reform, it was not surprising that he backed legislation last year requiring presidential candidates to pay the actual cost of flying on corporate jets. The law, which requires campaigns to pay charter rates when using such jets rather than cheaper first-class fares, was intended to reduce the influence of lobbyists and create a level financial playing field.

But over a seven-month period beginning last summer, Mr. McCain’s cash-short campaign gave itself an advantage by using a corporate jet owned by a company headed by his wife, Cindy McCain, according to public records. For five of those months, the plane was used almost exclusively for campaign-related purposes, those records show.

Mr. McCain’s campaign paid a total of $241,149 for the use of that plane from last August through February, records show. That amount is approximately the cost of chartering a similar jet for a month or two, according to industry estimates.

The senator was able to fly so inexpensively because the law specifically exempts aircraft owned by a candidate or his family or by a privately held company they control. The Federal Election Commission adopted rules in December to close the loophole — rules that would have required substantial payments by candidates using family-owned planes — but the agency soon lost the requisite number of commissioners needed to complete the rule making.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/us/politics/27plane.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&adxnnlx=1209312165-qmBLUa0rHxMdCphy/8FTfQ

a total oxymoron...so if John borrowed his wifes SUV to drive to a political fundraiser he would have to reimburse her at the going rate for rental cars?...And would he violate some rule if he paid thru a joint checking account?:rolleyes:

April 27, 2008

Yep, it's not illegal which the NY Slimes just segues into rather late...

Wow massive non-story, but thanks.

Person 1: OMG McCain borrowed his wife's plane!!!

Person 2: THAT is illegal??

Person 1: Yesss!!!! except... not right now.

Person 2: Why are we even talking about this?

Person 1: I dunno... Still mad about the pastor thing i guess.

But wait a minute, there finances are completely separate.

Can a wife who has completely seperate holdings than her husband give him free anything legally?

I think her family does not allow spouses to have any control of the businesses and money they inherit.

The plane is NOT his in any sense of the legal realm.

Its constitutes a Donation.

I think her family does not allow spouses to have any control of the businesses and money they inherit.

The plane is NOT his in any sense of the legal realm.

Its constitutes a Donation.

It's irrelevant. It says right in the article that it applies to a plane that either you, or your family own.

What he did was legal. However, since he backed legislation to stop just this, it's hypocritical and shows that once again John McCain is all about, do what I say, but not as I do.

It is as someone in the article is quoted as saying. He did not violate the letter of this law, but rather, the spirit of it.

April 27, 2008

Wow. It's dispicable that someones wife would have so much influence on their political views. Castrate McCain 08.

Brilliant-just brilliant....!

Wow. It's dispicable that someones wife would have so much influence on their political views. Castrate McCain 08.

I suppose this also applies to Obama...afterall Michelle has alot of influence with Barack...not to forget Hillaries influence over Billy Bob...should they be castrated also?

Well this has been fun!

I'm honestly amazed BB can even still read, considering how much of his mental capacity seems to have degenerated.

However the GD just stopped in(she was doing the sweeps on my break)...must do another sweep of the moto-cross course..seems as if a beginner bit the dust...the kid akin to wm,epi and grind!...Thought he could compete with the big boys...he lost it like epi,grind and wm...have fun little boys...cyber space is your exercise...albeit it is weak!...Later!

However the GD just stopped in(she was doing the sweeps on my break)...must do another sweep of the moto-cross course..seems as if a beginner bit the dust...the kid akin to wm,epi and grind!...Thought he could compete with the big boys...he lost it like epi,grind and wm...have fun little boys...cyber space is your exercise...albeit it is weak!...Later!

Have fun ****ing your granddaughter.

I'll let your imagination fill in the blank.

I've never understood the purpose of a post like this. BB isn't my fav, but why say something like this?

Because of my utter and complete apathy regarding any of your opinions about me.

In all serious though, when someone proves that they are unworthy of being engaged in serious debate I will usually do something like this.

He doesn't even understand his own political philosophy, much less the realities of the political landscape, so it would hardly be worth my time to address his points as if he did.

Last edited:
Back