McCain wants to define Obama as a Muslim, anti-American, BLACK, terrorist, Arab

Cypress

IMO, this is going to be the core of the McCain strategy. Is there any doubt? Gore was a serial liar, Kerry was a cowardly vet who lied to get medals, Obama is going to be that "radical, black muslim". This has been going on under the radar for months, and it's just now ramping up into full blown smear mode. I've already met apolitical people who, somehow have the impression that Obama is/was raised as a radical black muslim; that there something vaguely "different" and perhaps "unamerican" about him.

McCain wants to define Obama as a Muslim, anti-American, BLACK, terrorist, Arab

Josh Marshall

Hopefully, everyone can now see the McCain strategy for running against Barack Obama. Yes, we have some general points on taxes, culture wars and McCain as war hero who can protect us in ways that flash-in-the-pan pretty boy Barack Obama can't.

But that's not the core. The core is to drill a handful of key adjectives into the public mind about Barack Obama: Muslim, anti-American,BLACK, terrorist, Arab. Maybe a little hustler and shifty thrown in, but we'll have to see. The details and specific arguments are sort of beside the point. They're like the libretto in a Wagner opera, nice for some narrative structure. But it's the score that's the real essence of it, the point of the whole exercise.

Now, a good deal has been made out of John McCain's repudiation of talk radio yakmeister Bill Cunningham, who led off for McCain at one of his rallies with the full run of Obama sludge. But don't be distracted or fooled....

Don't insult your intelligence or mine by pretending that John McCain's plan for this race doesn't rely on hundreds of Cunninghams -- large and small -- across the country, and the RNC and all the GOP third party groups, to be peddling this stuff nonstop for the next eight months because it's the only way John McCain have a real shot at contesting this race.

If McCain really wants to repudiate this stuff, he can start with the Tennessee Republican party which dished all the slurs and smears about Obama being a Nation of Islam-loving anti-Semite, just today. And once he's done talking to the people who will be running his Tennessee campaign, we'll have a number of others he can talk to, like the head of his Ohio campaign, former Sen. Mike DeWine, who gave that Cunningham guy his marching orders.

Let's just not fool ourselves, not lie to ourselves about what's happening here and who's in charge.

McCain sure does want to be sure that all the eligable Blacks vote this fall doesn't he.
Good for him on getting the people out to vote :clink:
I had been wondering how the republicans would make this all about race while trying not to appear rascist.

Last edited:
IMO, it seems to be the core of the Clinton campaign. Her campaign releases pictures.. (not smart enough to use 527s I guess).

McCain will rely on surrogates and 527s to sling the mud and will always denounce them after the fact. This cycle will be repeating itself endlessly: Smear, Denounce, Repeat.

McCain will rely on surrogates and 527s to sling the mud and will always denounce them after the fact. This cycle will be repeating itself endlessly: Smear, Denounce, Repeat.

Yep...it worked in 04 with the swiftboaters. I can remember Bush giving some very weak "denouncements", so they didn't get the blame but they got the benefit.

I understand the truth can be painful at times. You are too intelligent to pretend that isn't exactly what Hitlary has been doing.

The more she does it, the less Democrats vote for her! Democrats dont put up with that shit.

LOL. We must have been looking at different Democratic primaries, then.

Has anyone associated with the Clinton campaign come anywhere close to writing or saying any of the below, which it titled "Anti-Semites for Obama?"

NASHVILLE, TN - The Tennessee Republican Party today joins a growing chorus of Americans concerned about the future of the nation of Israel, the only stable democracy in the Middle East, if Sen. Barack Obama is elected president of the United States.

“It’s time to set the record straight about Barack Obama and where he really stands on vital issues such as national security and the security of Israel,” said Robin Smith, chairman of the Tennessee Republican Party. “Voters need to know about two items that surfaced today which strongly suggest that an Obama presidency will view Israel as a problem rather than a partner for peace in the Middle East.

On Sunday, Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan on Sunday likened Obama to a new messiah, calling him “the hope of the entire world.” That’s the same Louis Farrakhan who has a history of making openly anti-Semitic statements, calling Judaism a “gutter religion,” and suggesting that crack cocaine might have been a CIA plot to enslave blacks.

Farrakhan, addressing 20,000 people at the annual Savior’s Day celebration in Chicago, praised the Democrat presidential candidate, calling Obama “The hope of the entire world that America will change and be made better.”

He also compared Obama to the founder of Islam, remarking that both had a white mother and black father, according to the Associated Press. “A black man with a white mother became a savior to us,” Farrakhan said. “A black man with a white mother could turn out to be one who can lift America from her fall.”

Obama has on the campaign trail pledged to rapidly remove American soldiers from Iraq regardless of the resulting instability and the creation of opening that would be filled by Islamic extremists, like Al Qaeda, in Iraq’s government and military.

Obama has pledged to hold a Muslim Summit to determine Middle East policy with the very leaders that have as their goal to remove Israel from the map, referenced Jews to be “dogs” and “pigs,” among other vile references.

Over the weekend, news reports surfaced casting more disturbing evidence of Obama’s anti-Israel leanings.

The board of a nonprofit organization on which Obama served as a paid director alongside a confessed domestic terrorist granted funding to a controversial Arab group that mourns the establishment of Israel as a “catastrophe.”

The co-founder of that organization, Columbia University professor Rashid Khalidi, who also has held a fundraiser for Obama, is a harsh critic of Israel and has made statements supportive of Palestinian terror. Khalidi reportedly has worked on behalf of the Palestine Liberation Organization while it was involved in anti-Western terrorism and was labeled by the State Department as a terror group.

The Woods Fund, a Chicago-based nonprofit that describes itself as a group helping the disadvantaged, provided a $40,000 grant in 2001 to the Arab American Action Network, or AAAN, for which Khalidi’s wife, Mona, serves as president. The Fund provided a second grant to the AAAN for $35,000 in 2002. Obama was a director of the Woods Fund board from 1999 to Dec. 11, 2002, according to the Fund’s website. Tax records show he was paid $6,000 per year for his service in 1999 and 2001.

Also serving on the Wood’s Fund board alongside Obama was current University of Illinois-Chicago professor William C. Ayers, who was a member of the Weathermen terrorist group which sought to overthrow of the U.S. government and took responsibility for bombing the U.S. Capitol in 1971.

“You don’t even have to go outside Obama’s campaign to find advisers who are anti-Israel,” said Bill Hobbs, communications director for the Tennessee Republican Party. “Robert Malley, a principal foreign policy adviser to Obama, has advocated negotiations with the Iranian-funded radical terrorist group Hamas and urged that Hamas – which sends suicide bombers to kill innocent women and children - receive international assistance.”

According to DiscoverTheNetworks.org, an online guide to the political Left, Malley “consistently condemns Israel, exonerates Palestinians, urges U.S. disengagement from Israel, and recommends that America reach out to negotiate with its traditional Arab enemies.”

“Nothing in Barack Obama’s history or his choice of advisers suggests he will be a friend to Israel,” said Hobbs. “On the contrary, supporters of Israel should view a possible Obama administration with extreme caution, as America’s ally is being put in the cross-hairs by the anti-Jewish left.”

Again, it's not even close.

Surely you can substantiate that comment with, I dunno, evidence? Maybe John McCain said so which is apparently good enough for you.

Lets see.... your evidence on McCain was the actions of TN Reps?

I'll up that with Hitlary's campaign DIRECTLY releasing the Obama photo showing him in a turban.

Lets see.... your evidence on McCain was the actions of TN Reps?

I'll up that with Hitlary's campaign DIRECTLY releasing the Obama photo showing him in a turban.

First of all, I said that McCain will use surrogates. I didn't say that he would directly attack Obama thusly.

Second, you haven't answered my question, do you have evidence of Hillary coming anywhere close to the TNGOP press release? You have the photo. Even assuming Hillary's people put it out, I'm afraid it is a far cry from calling Obama a Muslim anti-Isarel anti-Semite who is in bed with Farrakhan and domestic terror groups, but that's just me.

As an aside, has it ever been substantiated that Hillary's camp put the photo out or are you also accepting the word of Matt Drudge as gospel truth as well as McCain?

Snopes has had to work overtime to debunk the smears on Obama. And the most widespread, insidious and outrageous myths began with rightwing media like Fox News and Washington Times, and through massive viral email campaigns almost certainly started from the nether reaches of rightwingnuttotopia.

Myths:

Barack Obama is a “radical Muslim” who “will not recite the Pledge of Allegiance”

Barack Obama was sworn into office on the Quran

Barack Obama is a racist who’s Church that is covertly Muslim and excludes non-blacks

Barack Obama’s campaign is being funded by Hugo Chavez

http://snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

I'd like to express a rare moment of optimism, but I think we're starting to see negative campaigning actually NOT work, and it doesn't bode well for the GOP this fall.

I think this is generational; more young people are voting in these primaries than ever, and I think they have much higher BS meters than previous generations. You can dispute that, but it's irrefutable that some of the garbage Hillary has tried - which might have previously been effective - backfired in a huge way.

Back