Medicare should be allowed to negociate prices, heres why

I think they already dictate price. If the service is too high in cost for them, you will not get it unless your ready to die from the cause.

Explain? If I understand what you are saying, then "single payer" really is not accurate term.

I'm only familiar with our system in Aus. We have a two-tier system. The single-payer scheme run by the federal government authority provides universal health care. But there is a second-tier of private practice which you can access if you have insurance or you can pay for it. It doesn't give "extra" medical care as such but it does mean that you can get elective surgery (as an example) quicker (this doesn't affect the situation where surgery is simply required right now, if that's the case you get it).

The two-tier system in Aus upsets the more ideological amongst us but in reality it works okay because it does relieve the pressure on the so-called "public" system. I don't have much time for ideology when it comes to health care, I'm more interested in effective health care delivery.

I'm only familiar with our system in Aus. We have a two-tier system. The single-payer scheme run by the federal government authority provides universal health care. But there is a second-tier of private practice which you can access if you have insurance or you can pay for it. It doesn't give "extra" medical care as such but it does mean that you can get elective surgery (as an example) quicker (this doesn't affect the situation where surgery is simply required right now, if that's the case you get it).

The two-tier system in Aus upsets the more ideological amongst us but in reality it works okay because it does relieve the pressure on the so-called "public" system. I don't have much time for ideology when it comes to health care, I'm more interested in effective health care delivery.

I think I know what you just said. Private insurance offers better health care down under, than your government does. If I had a pain that was not life threatening, but detracts from my quality of life--I could get it fixed with your private system--not your gov system. If your econmy goes up, where people can afford all of their own (and abuse goes down to make private insurance cheaper)--can you understand that the government system may no longer be desired by the people? In most countries that have a national health care system, it is illegal to be able to get your own private insurance. No competition means crappy service.

Do you know if the private sector is growing down under? Or are there safe gaurds placed by the governemtn to make sure that does not happen? Because, in a free market--a government can not compete.

Back