‘Metaphysical Experiments’ Probe Our Hidden Assumptions About Reality

Okay, and how does that refute Bell's theorem?
For Bell, the basics are locality (the belief that things can’t influence each other instantaneously across space)

From the OP.

Gravity is instantaneous and influences things across space. If you were to convert a large amount of energy to mass you get lots of gravity and it affects everything around it across space. That refutes his idea of locality.

No, gravity is not instantaneous.

Gravity has almost negligible effect on subatomic particles like photons, because gravity is so weak compared to the EM and nuclear forces.

For Bell, the basics are locality (the belief that things can’t influence each other instantaneously across space)

From the OP.

Gravity is instantaneous and influences things across space. If you were to convert a large amount of energy to mass you get lots of gravity and it affects everything around it across space. That refutes his idea of locality.
I see. Bell is refuting the idea of locality. Sorry, a bit confusing. He is saying the basic principles he is contesting is locality.

From the OP.

"This meant that locality and realism can’t both be features of reality —"

From the OP.

The gravitational field is felt everywhere in space, but if the source of gravity were removed, it's effect wouldn't be instantaneous everywhere. If the sun suddenly disappeared, the Earth would continue it's elliptical orbit for several minutes, before momentum carried it off in a ~ straight line. Information cannot travel faster than light

The gravitational field is felt everywhere in space, but if the source of gravity were removed, it's effect wouldn't be instantaneous everywhere. If the sun suddenly disappeared, the Earth would continue it's elliptical orbit for several minutes, before momentum carried it off in a ~ straight line. Information cannot travel faster than light
But that's not due to gravity, that's due to momentum / inertia and centripetal force.

But that's not due to gravity, that's due to momentum / inertia and centripetal force.
Right, mass exerts a predictable deformation on spacetime, but does not propagate at infinite velocity. Gravity, gravitons, and gravitational waves are either assumed or experimentally determined to propagate at the speed of light.

Right, mass exerts a predictable deformation on spacetime, but does not propagate at infinite velocity. Gravity, gravitons, and gravitational waves are either assumed or experimentally determined to propagate at the speed of light.
The key word there is assumed. We really don't know enough about how gravity actually works and is generated to know that for sure--yet.

The key word there is assumed. We really don't know enough about how gravity actually works and is generated to know that for sure--yet.
The speed of gravitational waves has been experimentally determined to be approximately the speed of light.

I didn't read the article, but any particle in the presence of in a gravitational field, or an electrical field, or a magnetic field is going to feel it instantaneously. I don't know why that even has to be pointed out.

The speed of gravitational waves has been experimentally determined to be approximately the speed of light.

I didn't read the article, but any particle in the presence of in a gravitational field, or an electrical field, or a magnetic field is going to feel it instantaneously. I don't know why that even has to be pointed out.
Article talks about gravity a few places.
"Brukner laments that the implications of experimental metaphysics haven’t yet been fully incorporated into the rest of physics at large — especially, in his view, to the detriment of research on the quantum nature of gravity. “This is really a pity, because we end up with wrong pictures of, say, how the vacuum looks, or what goes on in a black hole, where they are described without any reference to modes of observation,” he said. “I don’t think that we will make significant progress in these fields until we really do much work on the theory of measurement.”

Article talks about gravity a few places.
"Brukner laments that the implications of experimental metaphysics haven’t yet been fully incorporated into the rest of physics at large — especially, in his view, to the detriment of research on the quantum nature of gravity. “This is really a pity, because we end up with wrong pictures of, say, how the vacuum looks, or what goes on in a black hole, where they are described without any reference to modes of observation,” he said. “I don’t think that we will make significant progress in these fields until we really do much work on the theory of measurement.”
I guess I don't understand exactly how metaphysics is supposed to help in the search for a theory of quantum gravity.

Back