Moderate Scozzafava leaves race at urge from GOP

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/nyregion/01upstate.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

A moderate Republican whose candidacy for an upstate New York Congressional seat had set off a storm of national conservative opposition, abruptly withdrew on Saturday, emboldening the right at a time when the Republican Party is enmeshed in a debate over how to rebuild itself.

The candidate, Dede Scozzafava, said she was suspending her campaign in the face of collapsing support and evidence that she was heading for a loss in a three-way race on Tuesday involving Douglas L. Hoffman, running on the Conservative Party line, and Bill Owens, a Democrat.

More at link...

sorry, the dede was no damn moderate...she was a Progressive in Republican clothing...and Gingrich should be ashamed of himself for backing this commie lite..

and if the NYslimes is crying over her loss you know we dodged a bullet by getting her out...

sorry, the dede was no damn moderate...she was a Progressive in Republican clothing...and Gingrich should be ashamed of himself for backing this commie lite..

and if the NYslimes is crying over her loss you know we dodged a bullet by getting her out...
She was republican enough to leave the race at the urge of the State party.

Gingrich backed her because he believed that in a mostly socially liberal district she had the better chance to win. Interesting story in this race is that what is supposedly a "social liberal district" that the socially conservative candiate is winning.

Last edited:

From what I've read about her she is pretty liberal. In fact she was to the left of her Democratic opponent on some issues. Regardless of whether she has a R or D in front of her name when you look at where she stands on a lot of the issues she would be judged pretty liberal.

From what I've read about her she is pretty liberal. In fact she was to the left of her Democratic opponent on some issues. Regardless of whether she has a R or D in front of her name when you look at where she stands on a lot of the issues she would be judged pretty liberal.
Interesting. Still she fit within the party, and was enough of republican to realize when she was causing the defeat of her party in her district and do something about it.

Had she really been a "RINO", she never would have quit, it is their goal to create these circumstances.

Women tend to be pragmatic. Since everyone knew that she was going to lose, she wasn't likely to get the financial support necessary to continue. Moreover, if she caused the Democrat to win, she wouldn't have a chance at some lesser seat in the future.

Interesting. Still she fit within the party, and was enough of republican to realize when she was causing the defeat of her party in her district and do something about it.

Had she really been a "RINO", she never would have quit, it is their goal to create these circumstances.

Well, looks like she's backing the Democrat in the race. Kind of tells you all you need to know about her.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...rses-democrat-dropping-ny-congressional-race/

I think even if she may have been pretty left wing on paper, she probably would have "grown" in office to be more conservative because of bullying by the whips. I still think there would be hardly any real difference between her and the Conservative candidate in practice, since 99% of what the federal government does involves economic issues and she was fiscally conservative.

Liberal on what? What seems to piss off the right is her support of medical marijuana, gay rights and being pro choice. She's not a member of the religious reich, but that does mean she fits in with the left.

So what? She's a liberal, and history. :)

Liberal in the classical sense, maybe. That's the kind of Republicans needed. Rove's theocon alliance (religious reich and war mongers, while ignoring limited government principles) is dead and resulted in the GOP getting it's ass kicked.

Liberal in the classical sense, maybe. That's the kind of Republicans needed. Rove's theocon alliance (religious reich and war mongers, while ignoring limited government principles) is dead and resulted in the GOP getting it's ass kicked.

I'm personally all in favor of the NY GOP purging itself of all but the hardcore "true believers." It's New York. If the state GOP thinks that the hardcore religious reich social conservative nutjobs are their ticket to future success in the state they should go nuts with it. I'm sure it will work out well.

they are not bitching about spending or failure to support the 2nd amendment. They are bitching about her not being a social conservative and a drug warrior.

http://www.nycf.info/component/cont...zafavas-record-may-damage-congressional-hopes
Her endorsement of the D doesn't help her case of being a solid republican. Given the choice between a fiscal conservative and a fiscal liberal I'll take the conservative every time, I'd prefer one who isn't also a social conservative but I'll look past that in order to get fiscal conservancy into the government. You wouldn't see me quitting and endorsing somebody who isn't fiscally conservative.

Her endorsement of the D doesn't help her case of being a solid republican. Given the choice between a fiscal conservative and a fiscal liberal I'll take the conservative every time, I'd prefer one who isn't also a social conservative but I'll look past that in order to get fiscal conservancy into the government. You wouldn't see me quitting and endorsing somebody who isn't fiscally conservative.

Well, from all appearances the right-winger knows next to nothing about the district and the issues in the district he's running to represent. He had a sit down with the editors of a local paper and he brought Dick Armey along with him. When the candidate couldn't answer any questions about the district, Armey cam to his defense, dismissing regional concerns as "parochial" issues that would not determine the outcome of the election.

Given a choice between the candidate that actually knows something about issues affecting the district and one that doesn't, I'd take the former.

Back