more bad new for recessionista's

Topspin

Verified User
A million dollars may sound like a fortune to most people, and folks with that much cash can't complain — they're richer than 90 percent of U.S. households and earn $366,000 a year, on average, putting them in the top 1 percent of taxpayers. But the club isn't so exclusive anymore. Some 10 million households have a net worth above $1 million, excluding home equity, almost double the number in 2002. Moreover, a recent survey by Fidelity found just 8 percent of millionaires think they're "very" or "extremely" wealthy, while 19 percent don't feel rich at all. "They're worried about health care, retirement and how they'll sustain their lifestyle," says Gail Graham, a wealth-management executive at Fidelity.

More from SmartMoney.com:

• 10 Things Your Bank Won't Tell You

• 10 Things Your Ticket Broker Won't Tell You

• 10 Things Your Airline Won't Tell You

Indeed, many millionaires still don't have enough for exclusive luxuries, like membership at an elite golf club, which can top $300,000 a year. While $1 million was a tidy sum three decades ago, you'd need $3.6 million for the same purchasing power today. And half of all millionaires have a net worth of $2.5 million or less, according to research firm TNS. So what does it take to feel truly rich? The magic number is $23 million, according to Fidelity

I agree that $1 million ain't what it used to be, and is pretty close to middle class where I am, but I'd feel pretty damned rich with $10 million.

yah 1M is nothing. I am hoping to have that much saved in retirement by age 40-45 depending if we can get some good years here. Im thinking i will prob need like 10M saved to retire at age 55.

point of the post is contrary to the dire straits painted by the dems, there have been 5,000,000 new millionaires (me included) minted under Bush.
I don't think the top 1% comment is right though.

point of the post is contrary to the dire straits painted by the dems, there have been 5,000,000 new millionaires (me included) minted under Bush.
I don't think the top 1% comment is right though.

When people talk in terms of dire straits, they're mainly talking about the middle class, tops.

Would you disagree that times are tough right now for the middle class?

whats middle class tho? under 50k is practically poor. you cant live off that.
Id submit that
poor = under 35k
lower class = 35k-60k
middle class = 60k-120k
upper middle = 120-250
upper class = 250-1M
wealthy = over 1M income

When people talk in terms of dire straits, they're mainly talking about the middle class, tops.

Would you disagree that times are tough right now for the middle class?

5,000,000 left the middle class to become millionaires.
I'd say not dire straits but the non college graduate is going to have much tougher decades ahead unless we elect Obama.:clink:

whats middle class tho? under 50k is practically poor. you cant live off that.
Id submit that
poor = under 35k
lower class = 35k-60k
middle class = 60k-120k
upper middle = 120-250
upper class = 250-1M
wealthy = over 1M income

Median income is only 47K, no way is it poor. Your way off with your Mass uber rich attitude:pke:

Median income is only 47K, no way is it poor. Your way off with your Mass uber rich attitude:pke:

well i propose that the government decides based on index of the area u live in. for example my boss is looking for a retirement home right now down in TN near Knoxville. the cost of living index is -38% compared to MA down there.

How does this country define every region the exact same in terms of standard of living income levels? its about as brilliant as the last tax auditor that i made so dizzy running around him in circles that he keeled over.

well i propose that the government decides based on index of the area u live in. for example my boss is looking for a retirement home right now down in TN near Knoxville. the cost of living index is -38% compared to MA down there.

How does this country define every region the exact same in terms of standard of living income levels? its about as brilliant as the last tax auditor that i made so dizzy running around him in circles that he keeled over.

This is exactly true Chapdog. A person would have to be stupid to think that an income of 70,000 in Oklahoma would be that same as 70,000 in New Your, Seattle, California or other higher priced places. Knowing that, how in the thunder are the polticains going to tell us who is the middle class?

bullshit you live in a cultural center you pay for it

thats not point.

Point is classification of class. ok so i live in a nice area of country.. dont call me rich just cause i make higher income due to cost of living around here.

then some dude in TN makes 38% less then me cause hes living in lower cost of living zone is just middle class.

We are both the same. Hes got the Smokey mountains and big ass house I have a few cities near by.

It's exactly the point, tax the shit out of Any body making over $250,000 periond.
Listen for the deafining silence of the cry's of sypathy for them.

thats not point.

Point is classification of class. ok so i live in a nice area of country.. dont call me rich just cause i make higher income due to cost of living around here.

then some dude in TN makes 38% less then me cause hes living in lower cost of living zone is just middle class.

We are both the same. Hes got the Smokey mountains and big ass house I have a few cities near by.

I have doubt that a person making 38% less than you in Tennessee has the same true quality of life as you. Cost of living is what you pay for not living in a shitlhole.

Last edited:
I have doubt that a person making 38% less than you in Tennessee has the same true quality of life as you. Cost of living is what you pay for not living in a shitlhole.

nope.. its cost of living aka taxes, medical costs, cost for groceries, cost for cooling and heating.. etc

how am i better off then guy in TN who has double size house for same price and grocery bill is cheaper every week?

here is a sample for you to study. ACCRA cost of living index.
http://www.wishbonegraphics.com/discoverplano/images/cost-of-living.gif

Back