Mormonism

Nah, since then the Apocrypha can be found in some copies of the Catholic Bible, but differently in others. It has been added to and removed from since the inception of the "official Bible". In some old texts it is called "Parliament" and has less books than current texts do.

Read Matthew 16 (if you want, skip to verse 16 or 17). Something every Protestant should read...

Read Matthew 16 (if you want, skip to verse 16 or 17). Something every Protestant should read...
Then why would I need to read it (I'm a Buddhist, remember)? Anyway, I presented that information to others on the site before. This is the verse that the Catholic Church believes is the anointing of the first Pope.

Nowhere does Christ ever declare that Peter had Primacy or Authority over the other Apostles, or even over the Church.

Check out Acts 15:1-23; Galatians 2:1-14; and 1 Peter 5:1-5.

Nor does it ever say in scripture that the Bishop in Rome would have any Primacy over the church. Scripture never even records that Peter was ever in Rome at all. The closest it gets to that is saying Peter was writing from "Babylon" which was sometimes used as from Rome, but other times as from Babylon. Even in the New Testament that is not enough evidence to show that he was in Rome with certainty.

And lastly, scripture also shows that Peter’s authority was shared by the other apostles (Ephesians 2:19-20), and the “loosing and binding” authority attributed to him was likewise shared by the local churches, not just their church leaders (see Matthew 18:15-19; 1 Corinthians 5:1-13; 2 Corinthians 13:10; Titus 2:15; 3:10-11).

All of the power ascribed to Peter was ascribed to all the other churches and all of the Apostles.

One Chapter in the New Testament saying that Peter is the Rock (the actual meaning of his name) does not Primacy make.

Back