Most liberal states = least free states

The humanist religion? WTF?

Modern liberals in the US want a kind of humanist religion to dictate our moralality.

Then will you let gays get married?

They use government, courts, and the culture to ram it down our throats.

I like how you insert "culture" into there. Oh teh horrors! Poor, innocent ice dancer being corrupted by our awful MTV culture! How they are FORCING this on her!

Guys, don't get caught up in this silliness about Newsmax being biased. These are the same idiots who will run here an post some absolute bullshit rumor from a left-wing web blog, and proclaim it factual news! These are the same idiots who idolize Keith Olbermann as some kind of "credible" journalist! ...And here we are, being put in the position of having to defend Newsmax, a reputable and leading source of news and information online. The study was conducted by a reputable University, and reported by a reputable news source... 'nuff said! If they want to whine and moan about Newsmax being "unfair," tell them to go email Olbermann!!

Then will you let gays get married?

Waterhead, it's not up to us!! The question has been asked numerous times on ballots all around the country, and every single time, the PEOPLE overwhelmingly reject it! That is democracy, that is how our system of government works. You and your bunch don't really give two shits about democracy or what the people overwhelmingly want and vote for, you want to force your perverted liberal ideology down our throats against our will.

Liberals are NOT for Liberty!

That's hillarious. What an oxymoron. Have you forgotten that the root word for liberal is "liberty" and therefore in reality the most liberal states would by definition be the most free state! LOL What a hoot! LOL You really ought to think twice before you use a useless resource like NewsMax as a reference. You might as well be siting the National Enquiror.
The irony of the term "liberal" had already been addressed previously, in this very thread, Einstein. :pke:

pretty sure that' an ad hominem. Lets debate the substance of the poll. As it stands, yes watermark is being biased outright dismissing gun laws, home schooling etc as individual freedom issues, simply because he disagrees with them.

an ad homenin is a personal attack. I attacked both both the source (a right wing propaganda site) and the premis of the report. I did not make a personal attack.

The bias in the report is easy to spot. Essentially, with a few exceptions, the states with the least population or population density were rated as having the most liberties.

Guys, don't get caught up in this silliness about Newsmax being biased. These are the same idiots who will run here an post some absolute bullshit rumor from a left-wing web blog, and proclaim it factual news! These are the same idiots who idolize Keith Olbermann as some kind of "credible" journalist!

The left-wing at least labels opinion as such. You guys broadcast Fox news and have newsmax and pretend it's objective journalism.

...And here we are, being put in the position of having to defend Newsmax, a reputable and leading source of news and information online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsmax#Controversial_and_incorrect_articles

Christopher W. Ruddy started Newsmax.com on September 16, 1998, supported by a group of conservative investors, including the family of the late Central Intelligence Agency Director William J. Casey.

Political analyst Dick Morris was quoted as saying that Newsmax had become the "most influential Republican-leaning media outlet" in the nation.[7]

In March, 2009 Forbes featured Newsmax and described Ruddy's company as a "media empire" and the "great right hope" of a troubled Republican Party.

Controversial and incorrect articles

* After the mysterious disappearance of Chandra Levy in 2001, contributor John LeBoutillier allegedly posted a speculative column on the site about the sex life of Representative Gary Condit, with whom Levy had an affair. The column quickly circulated among media members, even though Newsmax editors pulled it from the site.[11]

* On May 26, 2000, Newsmax published an article claiming Hillary Clinton refused to meet with the Gold Star Mothers.[10] According to the Gold Star Mothers organization, this was false and "Senator Clinton greeted us graciously on Gold Star Mothers Sunday, 2005. This story was also debunked at other websites[11] and eventually led to a retraction by NewsMax.[12]

* A 2005 NewsMax.com report about Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, claiming he was "teaming up" with rock band U2 for a fund raiser, gained considerable attention. Santorum had actually purchased 66 tickets to a sold-out show and was reselling these to campaign supporters at $1,000 per seat. The band issued a statement denying it was involved in the practice, saying, "U2 concerts are categorically not fund-raisers for any politician; they are rock concerts for U2 fans."[12] Rather than admitting the error and issuing a correction, Newsmax simply changed its article about the fund-raiser without telling readers it had been changed, stating that the story was misinterpreted.[13]

* During the debate over the failed 2007 Immigration Bill, Newsmax popularized opposition to an alleged "North American Union," a dystopian vision of a future America where "NAU citizens no longer spend dollars or salute Old Glory. They spend 'ameros'." [14]

* On August 9, 2007, Newsmax freelance reporter, Jim Davis, reported that Barack Obama was in attendance on July 22, 2007 during a controversial sermon giving by Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. at Trinity United Church of Christ in South Chicago, Obama's place of worship.[15] The claim that Obama was in attendance for this particular sermon was repeated by Newsmax as fact again on March 16, 2008. [16] A July 22, 2007 speaking schedule for the National Council for La Raza in Miami, Florida shows Obama as a scheduled speaker for 1:30pm. [17] Video confirms he attended the conference and spoke during his allotted time. New York Times op-ed author, William Kristol, who relied upon the erroneous Newsmax articles in an op-ed article in the New York Times on March 17, 2008, [13] provided the following retraction and apology later in the day, "In this column, I cite a report that Sen. Obama had attended services at Trinity Church on July 22, 2007. The Obama campaign has provided information showing that Sen. Obama did not attend Trinity that day. I regret the error." [14] However, Davis later explained that Obama had attended the early morning service at Trinity United at 7:30 a.m., leaving sufficient time for him to travel by private jet to Miami; and the La Raza website confirms that Obama did not arrive until 1:50 p.m. Eastern time. Newsmax reports receiving confirmation from the Obama campaign that the candidate's private jet did not leave Chicago until 8:50 a.m. A Washington Post fact checker has reported that the issue has not been resolved to his satisfaction one way or the other.

* Newsmax claimed that Barack Obama's Vatican ambassador had been rejected several times for being "insufficiently pro-life." The Catholic News Service and Time magazine confirmed on April 9, 2009 that Newsmax's story was false.[18]

The study was conducted by a reputable University,

Lots of disreputable studies are done by professors at reputable universities. this professor has shamed his university and should be fired.

and reported by a reputable news source... 'nuff said! If they want to whine and moan about Newsmax being "unfair," tell them to go email Olbermann!!

Olbermann never pretends to be anything but opinion. He is not an objective news source. Newsmax pretends to be an objective newsprovider, but only posts stories that criticize Democrats, no matter how ridiculous. I can think of no simialar operator on the left, although they're all over the right. This is because the right wing view is based on lies. The antidote to conservatism is truth.

The question has been asked numerous times on ballots all around the country, and every single time, the PEOPLE overwhelmingly reject it!

It was asked once in a California proposition and was defeated 52-48, and is almost certainly going to pass in 2010, when the question is asked again. You get sillier every day.

Guys, don't get caught up in this silliness about Newsmax being biased. These are the same idiots who will run here an post some absolute bullshit rumor from a left-wing web blog, and proclaim it factual news! These are the same idiots who idolize Keith Olbermann as some kind of "credible" journalist! ...And here we are, being put in the position of having to defend Newsmax, a reputable and leading source of news and information online. The study was conducted by a reputable University, and reported by a reputable news source... 'nuff said! If they want to whine and moan about Newsmax being "unfair," tell them to go email Olbermann!!

The study was conducted by Mercatus, not GW. Wendy(Phil's wife)Gramm former Enron Director, the Scaifes and the Waltons hardly would lend their names to other than biased Conservative sources. To try to defend the study as non-biased is ludicrous. It would be equally ludicrous if I suggested to you that a Move-on study was also without its biases in the other direction. Try reality.

freedom to marry i guess isn't in the poll.

Personally I think Massachusetts and Connecticut are the most free states that I can think of right now.

The study was conducted by Mercatus, not GW. Wendy(Phil's wife)Gramm former Enron Director, the Scaifes and the Waltons hardly would lend their names to other than biased Conservative sources. To try to defend the study as non-biased is ludicrous. It would be equally ludicrous if I suggested to you that a Move-on study was also without its biases in the other direction. Try reality.

According to a new study released by the Mercatus Center of George Mason University...

Now, I don't know who all funds the centers at major universities... whether it's George Soros or Scaifes, Waltons, and Gramms. Those details don't normally factor into liberal studies from major universities, and last I checked, MoveOn.org is technically not a university. What kind of funny double standard shit are you trying to pull here?

freedom to marry i guess isn't in the poll.

Personally I think Massachusetts and Connecticut are the most free states that I can think of right now.
If you're gay and liberal maybe, but if you're a normal person who wants to keep more of what they earn and not be regulated to death, not so much.

According to a new study released by the Mercatus Center of George Mason University...

Now, I don't know who all funds the centers at major universities... whether it's George Soros or Scaifes, Waltons, and Gramms. Those details don't normally factor into liberal studies from major universities, and last I checked, MoveOn.org is technically not a university. What kind of funny double standard shit are you trying to pull here?

It appears to be funded by the Koch Foundation. Personally, I am shocked at the outcome of this study. Just. Plain. Shocked.

OMG you are serious, aren't you???

I am sorry. WOW. I knew you were conservative and Right-leaning but WOW!!

For you to try and pretend that Newsmax is anything other than the RightWing version of the Daily Kos is just hilarious!

I read the Daily Kos. I also understand it is just LIBERAL OPINION!

Newsmax is the same. Nothing more than Conservative OPINION!

It appears to be funded by the Koch Foundation. Personally, I am shocked at the outcome of this study. Just. Plain. Shocked.
In other words, it is perfectly reasonable that a State controlled by Democrats would infringe on its residents' freedoms.

OMG you are serious, aren't you???

I am sorry. WOW. I knew you were conservative and Right-leaning but WOW!!

For you to try and pretend that Newsmax is anything other than the RightWing version of the Daily Kos is just hilarious!

I read the Daily Kos. I also understand it is just LIBERAL OPINION!

Newsmax is the same. Nothing more than Conservative OPINION!

There is a difference between Daily Kos and Newsmax. Kos is a blog, where liberal pinhead gather to spread rumors and forge propaganda, and Newsmax is a resource for news stories and information. The study in which this thread is based, was not conducted by Newsmax, so debating their legitimacy is irrelevant, they merely reported the story, as this is what they do. Because you feel they are biased toward the right, does not detract in any way, from the content of the study by a major American university.

When Daily Kos reports that Berkley did a study and found that 47 million poor unfortunate souls don't have healthcare, this is thrown up by the left as legitimate fact, can't be disputed, no sense in even questioning it! It doesn't matter that the study was revealed by a biased left-wing propaganda outlet, does it? Nope... we are all commanded to swallow it as fact, because some nitwit liberal university did a study on it!

Back