Motorcycle ride

Ohio is all over the place. There are quite a few post industrial shit holes, amazing areas in the the eastern piedmont region and the river valleys like the Ohio, Mahoning and Miami Rivers and garden variety boring farmlands in the West.

Well they are one of the leading producers of sweet corn. It's pretty tame an area, with just a bunch of flatland. I imagine you could open it up a little on off roads, if you watch out for farm vehicles. As for the Dakotas, they actually are renowned for bikes, because of Sturgis.

I was born in Ft. Sill but live in the ridges of the SE.

So along Arkansas/Texas border. That's a part of the State I haven't been to.

That's awesome; my family has a LOT of history with Ft. Sill which I cannot share on a public forum. It's a beautiful area with a fantastic wildlife preserve.

Took my kids through there a few times.....but they found the A10s going low into the firing range more interesting than the buffalo and turkey. :laugh:

Well they are one of the leading producers of sweet corn. It's pretty tame an area, with just a bunch of flatland. I imagine you could open it up a little on off roads, if you watch out for farm vehicles. As for the Dakotas, they actually are renowned for bikes, because of Sturgis.

Don’t sound to me like you’ve been to eastern Ohio. Flat it is not.

I don't see the beauty in it unless it's the simplistic austerity of next to nothingness but sky. Quite frankly I've only driven through one State more boring to drive through than OK and that's KS. I've heard the Dakotas are god awful boring to drive through too.

Yea...you must have driven through the “that’s what I think of when I think of Oklahoma” part of the state. There are some beautiful drives (translated ‘rides’ to the motorcycle enthusiasts) here where I live. I would not live in Western OK unless forced, and then I’d be looking for a way of escape. And yes, Kansas is pretty boring as far as scenery goes...unless there’s some part of it that I missed. But I do love the bird and deer hunting up there.

I was talking about Western Ohio, as you mentioned in the last part of your post

Where I'm at in Cbus area is pretty much the eastern terminus of the corn belt. East of here and the land becomes more forested and hilly as you travel into Appalachian Piedmont country but west of here it's fairly flat farmland in a Beech-Maple climax zone. As you travel west from Ohio it gets flatter and flatter until you transition into the prairie land of central Illinois and that, as you go west past the Missouri River starts transitioning into the Great Plains. Then you're talking real flat. LOL

Yea...you must have driven through the “that’s what I think of when I think of Oklahoma” part of the state. There are some beautiful drives (translated ‘rides’ to the motorcycle enthusiasts) here where I live. I would not live in Western OK unless forced, and then I’d be looking for a way of escape. And yes, Kansas is pretty boring as far as scenery goes...unless there’s some part of it that I missed. But I do love the bird and deer hunting up there.

Most States have places that are crappy and others areas of awe inspiring beauty....except Michigan...Michigan sucks. ;)

Most States have places that are crappy and others areas of awe inspiring beauty....except Michigan...Michigan sucks. ;)

My family are the same way with the buckeye attitude, but actually love it up in Michigan. They visit often, in the summer, and my brother even has a big race style boat, that can go 90. You can't do anything with something like that, in Ohio's shallow mud pits. He's taken it out on Lake Michigan a few times.

attachment.php

Where I'm at in Cbus area is pretty much the eastern terminus of the corn belt. East of here and the land becomes more forested and hilly as you travel into Appalachian Piedmont country but west of here it's fairly flat farmland in a Beech-Maple climax zone. As you travel west from Ohio it gets flatter and flatter until you transition into the prairie land of central Illinois and that, as you go west past the Missouri River starts transitioning into the Great Plains. Then you're talking real flat. LOL

We drove from STL to Burlington VT a few years ago. Took two days. Driving through Illinois, Indiana, and most of Ohio was unrelentingly boring.... flat flat flat corn corn corn. But Pennsylvania was a surprise... rolling hills, lots of vineyards, and of course Lake Erie.

You're right. Don't come here. It snows a lot. There are bugs. Way too many trees. Annoying waterfalls. Frigid lake full of horrid fish that you do not want to eat. Everyone's mean, too.

My family are the same way with the buckeye attitude, but actually love it up in Michigan. They visit often, in the summer, and my brother even has a big race style boat, that can go 90. You can't do anything with something like that, in Ohio's shallow mud pits. He's taken it out on Lake Michigan a few times.

attachment.php

Actually the UP is spectacular.

We drove from STL to Burlington VT a few years ago. Took two days. Driving through Illinois, Indiana, and most of Ohio was unrelentingly boring.... flat flat flat corn corn corn. But Pennsylvania was a surprise... rolling hills, lots of vineyards, and of course Lake Erie.

You must have driven via I-80?

attachment.php

Wow -- is that his boat?

You're right. Don't come here. It snows a lot. There are bugs. Way too many trees. Annoying waterfalls. Frigid lake full of horrid fish that you do not want to eat. Everyone's mean, too.

I’ve heard from some reliable sources on JPP that the Owl’s there are particularly vicious?

Actually the UP is spectacular.

So is Northern lower, but southern isn't anything to rave about. Just run of the mill urban, farmland, and forest. Similar to western Ohio, just with more lakes. Up in northern lower it's great. You have Torch Lake, which is often compared with Lake Como, in Italy. Lot's of pricey homes around it, and has had several well known occupants to the area. The rapper Eminem, Micheal Moore, to name a few.

Wow -- is that his boat?

That's the boat he bought. I've been in it a few times, but I've been too iffy with physical issues to ride in it recently. Problem is it's like all high performance things, and the upkeep, and repairs is staggering.

That's the boat he bought. I've been in it a few times, but I've been to iffy with physical issues to ride in it recently. Problem is it's like all high performance things, and the upkeep, and repairs is staggering.

I can imagine. Everyone I've ever known who has or had a boat has complained about the costs of maintaining it, and how expensive it is just to take it out.... and those were just regular boats. Does he race professionally? Isn't that called a "cigar boat"?

Back