MSNBC Takes Olbermann & Matthews Anchor Seats

RockX

Banned
MSNBC Takes Incendiary Hosts From Anchor Seat
By BRIAN STELTER

MSNBC tried a bold experiment this year by putting two politically incendiary hosts, Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews, in the anchor chair to lead the cable news channel’s coverage of the election.

That experiment appears to be over.

After months of accusations of political bias and simmering animosity between MSNBC and its parent network NBC, the channel decided over the weekend that the NBC News correspondent and MSNBC host David Gregory would anchor news coverage of the coming debates and election night. Mr. Olbermann and Mr. Matthews will remain as analysts during the coverage.

The change — which comes in the home stretch of the long election cycle — is a direct result of tensions associated with the channel’s perceived shift to the political left.

Some tensions have spilled out on-screen. On the first night in Denver, as the fellow MSNBC host Joe Scarborough talked about the resurgence of the McCain campaign, Mr. Olbermann dismissed it by saying: “Jesus, Joe, why don’t you get a shovel?”

The following night, Mr. Olbermann and his co-anchor for convention coverage, Mr. Matthews, had their own squabble after Mr. Olbermann observed that Mr. Matthews had talked too long.

Some staff members said the tension led to the network’s decision to keep Mr. Olbermann in New York for the Republican convention, after he ran the desk in Denver during the Democratic convention. MSNBC said that he stayed in New York to anchor coverage of Hurricane Gustav. But some workers say there were other reasons — namely, that Mr. Olbermann was concerned about his safety in St. Paul, given the loud crowds at MSNBC’s set in Denver.

http://tinyurl.com/6s8u3m

LOL

What a smackdown. I feel so giddy! I would have loved to seen Olbermann's face when they told him he was out.

Olberman does a disservice to dems. He's so Air America over the top he can't be taken serious.

"The change — which comes in the home stretch of the long election cycle — is a direct result of tensions associated with the channel’s perceived shift to the political left."

Whaaa ? I thought all the media was already liberal left ???

Onceler? Darla? LadyT?

anything?

I've never argued that Olbermann isn't partisan; I do think he's great to watch, though, as well as Matthews.

I had fun switching back & forth between them & Fox during the conventions. They were complete opposites as far as reactions to the speeches; on MSNBC, Obama's speech was the bestest, most incredible speech since the beginning of time (even Buchanan was gushing), on Fox, he "missed an opportunity..." It went on like that the whole time.

"The change — which comes in the home stretch of the long election cycle — is a direct result of tensions associated with the channel’s perceived shift to the political left."

Whaaa ? I thought all the media was already liberal left ???

They are, Olberman & Matthews took it to the wacky extreme left. I imagine the real reason they got the boot is their unprofessional comments during the conventions.

I've never argued that Olbermann isn't partisan; I do think he's great to watch, though, as well as Matthews.

I had fun switching back & forth between them & Fox during the conventions. They were complete opposites as far as reactions to the speeches; on MSNBC, Obama's speech was the bestest, most incredible speech since the beginning of time (even Buchanan was gushing), on Fox, he "missed an opportunity..." It went on like that the whole time.

I did exactly the same thing. I love watching the contrast. I even through some CNN in there for good measure.

I actually found myself doing the exact same thing as far as switching back and forth to get the various opinions.

I can't stomach Fox anymore. I stay on MSNBC.

I'm sure their ratings will suffer having taken Uber-man off the coverage. I'll be sure to watch CNN now.

I'm sure their ratings will suffer having taken Uber-man off the coverage. I'll be sure to watch CNN now.

CNN is the better outlet out of the bunch. Olbermann is an idiot. Nothing but faux outrage. He is worse than OReilly and Hannity... and that is saying something.

I always liked Olbermann, but I never loved him the way a lot of my friends do. Until he started doing things like smacking down Mike Murphy and Joe Scarborough, because when it comes to politics I like an alpha male. So of course, now that I love him, they do this. I won’t watch them if they don’t have Olbermann in a prominent position. I just found out that the third and final debate between Obama and Grandpa Fester is at my alma mater. But I don’t think I can get in, I have talked to a couple of professors there who can’t even get tickets. Of course, I haven’t given up.

Anyway, I will watch the debates, but as far as commentary goes, I just shut it off anyway. What is funny to me is that they have these Republican whores who are considered “non partisan” like David Gregory. That’s the part that cracks me up. At least Keith tells you who he is.

I always liked Olbermann, but I never loved him the way a lot of my friends do. Until he started doing things like smacking down Mike Murphy and Joe Scarborough, because when it comes to politics I like an alpha male. So of course, now that I love him, they do this. I won’t watch them if they don’t have Olbermann in a prominent position. I just found out that the third and final debate between Obama and Grandpa Fester is at my alma mater. But I don’t think I can get in, I have talked to a couple of professors there who can’t even get tickets. Of course, I haven’t given up.

Anyway, I will watch the debates, but as far as commentary goes, I just shut it off anyway. What is funny to me is that they have these Republican whores who are considered “non partisan” like David Gregory. That’s the part that cracks me up. At least Keith tells you who he is.

First off I'd like to welcome you aboard the Uberman-train. We've been waiting for you.

I know. I totally feel cheated. They must be insane. 1) He's smart 2) tells it like it is 3) eloquent and most importantly 4) he brings in ratings. They hadn't touched the O'reilly factor in years and his genius finally makes them a contender and they thank him by doing this?

Please.

Back