My father

Private ownership of fully automatic AK rifles is tightly regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934. The Gun Control Act of 1968 ceased importing of foreign-manufactured fully automatic firearms for civilian sales and possession, effectively halting further importation of civilian accessible AK rifles.

In 1986, an amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act stopped all future domestic sales of fully automatic weapons for civilian use (non-military/non-LEO). Fully automatic weapons are still manufactured in the US for military and law enforcement use. However, automatic firearms manufactured domestically prior to 1986 or imported prior to 1968 may be transferred between civilians in accordance with federal and state law. Several Soviet and PRC rifles made it into the U.S. during the mid-1960s, when returning Vietnam veterans brought them home after capture from enemy troops. Many of these were properly registered during the 1968 NFA amnesty.

Semi-Automatic "AK-47 type" rifles, however, are legal and obtainable in most states of the United States. Certain states like California have specific restrictions which effectively ban new purchases of semi-automatic rifles like the civilian version of the AK-47.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47_legal_status#In_the_United_States

I mean, is it illegal to buy one? I could see how a thread asking about crystal meth might be bad, but I don't really know much about automatic weapons.

You would have a hard time purchasing a fully automatic version of it.

However the semi-automatic is available.

Back