My grandmother was a racist...

Jarod

Contributor
She said some of the most offensive things Ive ever herad. At first I would debate her about it. Later I learned that was no use.

I loved the woman and had a 25 year close association with her. Does that disqualify me from being president?

We are all imperfect people.

We can all strive to be better and ask those arround us to strive to be better.

Every human being is socialized with biases and prejudices, including myself.

The point is, to recognize the source of those biases. And hopefully deal with it.

A great recent example has been, that we have seen many wingnut armchair theology experts, solemnly claim that Pastor Wright is a racist, based on 15 seconds of video. Yet, these same wingnuts apparently have made no attempt, and have no knowledge of the contextual and historical basis for the gospel-based rhetoric of social justice and solidarity in many of the historic black churches.

We are all imperfect people.

We can all strive to be better and ask those arround us to strive to be better.

If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead. ~Gelett Burgess

She said some of the most offensive things Ive ever herad. At first I would debate her about it. Later I learned that was no use.

I loved the woman and had a 25 year close association with her. Does that disqualify me from being president?
You can't choose your grandmother, but you can choose who teaches spirituality to your children.

You did not answer my question. Plenty of people do not have there pastor teach anything to there kids.

Usually thats left up to a sunday school teacher for one thing.
Rubbish, they sit in the pews and are taught. You are being inane to the point of silliness.

Every human being is socialized with biases and prejudices, including myself.

The point is, to recognize the source of those biases. And hopefully deal with it.

A great recent example has been, that we have seen many wingnut armchair theology experts, solemnly claim that Pastor Wright is a racist, based on 15 seconds of video. Yet, these same wingnuts apparently have made no attempt, and have no knowledge of the contextual and historical basis for the gospel-based rhetoric of social justice and solidarity in many of the historic black churches.

Apparently Obama didn't get the memo on that either....

""But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

But my guess is you will ignore that yet again.... won't you Gumby?

Apparently Obama didn't get the memo on that either....

""But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

But my guess is you will ignore that yet again.... won't you Gumby?
Of course he will, because it sounds like what I have been saying. All of the apologists seem to ignore it.

Obama did what I thought he should. Will it be enough?

Of course he will, because it sounds like what I have been saying. All of the apologists seem to ignore it.

Yeah, I noticed their sudden silence about "fear of the angry black man" etc...

Though I suppose they don't appreciate their ignorance being put out there for all to witness.

Damo, I'm not speaking for Obama. I'm speaking for myself. Obama is a politician, who's goal is to save his skin.

As for me, I wasn't offended by anything the pastor said.

We have something in common. Also, my grandfater was a racist, my mother's a racist, my sisters a racist, half my current families racist, all of my ancestors since we arrived in SC 300 years ago have been racist, and one of them owned a slave.

I still talk to my grandma though.

Damo, I'm not speaking for Obama. I'm speaking for myself. Obama is a politician, who's goal is to save his skin.

As for me, I wasn't offended by anything the pastor said.

You were also speaking for us. Telling us our positions were based on "fear of the angry black man" etc.... fearing "fiery speech" etc....

Yet Obama stated the same damn thing we did and your response is this?

You are pathetic Gumby.

My mothers dad was a virulent anti-racist, he would tell me on occasion that there weren't 6 million jews in Europe for Hitler to murder. My father's dad was a racist and used "nigger" all the time. When I was little my mom told him that if he used it in front of me she would not let him visit and one time kept me away for 6 months because he used it. He would even go so far that when I was in highschool he would ask me about girlfriends and follow up with "She's not black is she?" There were several times that she was indeed black, and I would take great pleasure in let him know. (and no that is NOT why I dated black women. My interests were, shall we say, more carnal.) When I was older I would tell him that he was not allowed to use that language in front of my child either (only one of my kids was born) and the same went for my ex-wife's grandfather. As for not staying with your spiritual leader because he was racist, I call shenanigans. Thousands of southerners stayed with their churches while their religious leaders advocated biblical reasons for keeping the races separate, and why blacks were inferior.

My mothers dad was a virulent anti-racist, he would tell me on occasion that there weren't 6 million jews in Europe for Hitler to murder. My father's dad was a racist and used "nigger" all the time. When I was little my mom told him that if he used it in front of me she would not let him visit and one time kept me away for 6 months because he used it. He would even go so far that when I was in highschool he would ask me about girlfriends and follow up with "She's not black is she?" There were several times that she was indeed black, and I would take great pleasure in let him know. (and no that is NOT why I dated black women. My interests were, shall we say, more carnal.) When I was older I would tell him that he was not allowed to use that language in front of my child either (only one of my kids was born) and the same went for my ex-wife's grandfather. As for not staying with your spiritual leader because he was racist, I call shenanigans. Thousands of southerners stayed with their churches while their religious leaders advocated biblical reasons for keeping the races separate, and why blacks were inferior.

You want to freak out a white racist....give them a few beverages so they are a tad intoxicated.... then tell them that the darker a persons skin, the closer they are to being one color.... and that white people have the greatest mix of color. The results are usually quite comical.

Back