My main problem with Sarah Palin

He did back his up with a link and a definition along with pronunciation from an unabridged dictionary entry. What have you got?

It is annoying to me when people pronounce the word this way, but it is like "irregardless" it now is acceptable because so many got it wrong.

Thanks for the support, but it is nothing like "irregardless" and nothing like "is" instead of "are." One is an example is a non-word commonly mistaken for an actual word, and the other is bad grammar. In the case of 'nuclear' there are two variations of the proper pronunciation, neither is 'incorrect' or 'wrong.'

Obama often uses an alternate pronunciation of 'divisiveness' where the second 'i' is pronounced in the short form, while the popular pronunciation uses the long form. Nether is "wrong," they are both acceptable pronunciations of the word.

in no place that speaks the english language is is proper to pronounce clear as kuhlar. What that site showed was that LOTS of stupid people say nucular just like LOTS of stoopid people say irregardless. Neither is correct and neither is said by seriously educated people.

in no place that speaks the english language is is proper to pronounce clear as kuhlar. What that site showed was that LOTS of stupid people say nucular just like LOTS of stoopid people say irregardless. Neither is correct and neither is said by seriously educated people.

From Dictionary.com (an authoritative source)

The resulting pronunciation is reinforced by analogy with such words as molecular, particular, and muscular, and although it occurs with some frequency among highly educated speakers, including scientists, professors, and government officials, it is disapproved of by many.

Sorry, you are simply wrong. The source gives both pronunciations, and it doesn't say that one is "wrong" and the other is "correct." Just as, "divisiveness" can be pronounced two different ways, like Obama pronounces it, and like most other people pronounce it. Is Obama "stoopid" too?

i caught a bit if a news show where a woman commented that palin gave 'pageant replies' as in beauty pageant

would you want her to be ready to give the go ahead for a nuclear war

From Dictionary.com (an authoritative source)

The resulting pronunciation is reinforced by analogy with such words as molecular, particular, and muscular, and although it occurs with some frequency among highly educated speakers, including scientists, professors, and government officials, it is disapproved of by many.

Sorry, you are simply wrong. The source gives both pronunciations, and it doesn't say that one is "wrong" and the other is "correct." Just as, "divisiveness" can be pronounced two different ways, like Obama pronounces it, and like most other people pronounce it. Is Obama "stoopid" too?

while it may be accepted, it is not correct - from M-W

nu·cle·ar Pronunciation: \ˈnü-klē-ər, ˈnyü-, ÷-kyə-lər\
Function:adjective
Date:1846 1: of, relating to, or constituting a nucleus2 a: of or relating to the atomic nucleus <nuclear reaction> <nuclear physics> b: used in or produced by a nuclear reaction (as fission) <nuclear fuel> <nuclear waste> <nuclear energy> c (1): being a weapon whose destructive power derives from an uncontrolled nuclear reaction (2): of, produced by, or involving nuclear weapons <the nuclear age> <nuclear war> (3): armed with nuclear weapons <nuclear powers> d: of, relating to, or powered by nuclear energy <a nuclear submarine> <the nuclear debate> <a nuclear plant>3: crazy , berserk —usually used in the phrase go nuclear

usage Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \\-kyə-lər\\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, United States cabinet members, and at least two United States presidents and one vice president. While most common in the United States, these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers.

or nuke the gay liberal pregnant whales...

while it may be accepted, it is not correct - from M-W

nu·cle·ar Pronunciation: \ˈnü-klē-ər, ˈnyü-, ÷-kyə-lər\
Function:adjective
Date:1846 1: of, relating to, or constituting a nucleus2 a: of or relating to the atomic nucleus <nuclear reaction> <nuclear physics> b: used in or produced by a nuclear reaction (as fission) <nuclear fuel> <nuclear waste> <nuclear energy> c (1): being a weapon whose destructive power derives from an uncontrolled nuclear reaction (2): of, produced by, or involving nuclear weapons <the nuclear age> <nuclear war> (3): armed with nuclear weapons <nuclear powers> d: of, relating to, or powered by nuclear energy <a nuclear submarine> <the nuclear debate> <a nuclear plant>3: crazy , berserk —usually used in the phrase go nuclear

usage Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \\-kyə-lər\\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, United States cabinet members, and at least two United States presidents and one vice president. While most common in the United States, these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers.

or nuke the gay liberal pregnant whales...

Can you not read, or do you just have a reading comprehension problem. Your source, M-W, says the same thing my source says... that it is a widely used pronunciation of the word, by people who are NOT stupid. It gives in the pronunciation key, BOTH versions, and nowhere does it state that one is "incorrect" or "wrong" in any respect. It does say that many people "disapprove" of the alternate pronunciation, but that is apparent.

YOU ARE WRONG! CASE CLOSED!

Dixie, you have a printed dictionary lying around? Say, vintage-style from around 1999 or before?

Laughing my ever-loving fucking ass off!! You're kidding, right?

999,999,999 times out of a million, you pinheads require some weblink from a "credible source" to accept anything as fact, but in this case, you want me to provide proof from a printed dictionary from before 1999? OMG... I think I am going to give myself an aneurysm from laughing so hard!

Look goofball... if you just want to yammer to hear yourself yammer, go right ahead. I posted the facts from Dictionary.com, and DonQ validated the facts from Merriam-Fucking-Webster! Either provide something that contradicts the evidence presented or better yet... just shut the fuck up and go away!

It's starting to look like the Left is in pure panic mode over Palin. They are hurling every accusation they can make up, even after her impressive debate performance, and are even trying to make people believe she doesn't understand the things she says. And this without the slightest evidence to back up the leftists' rants.

They are genuinely scared by this woman.

Sarah who?

Thanks for the support, but it is nothing like "irregardless" and nothing like "is" instead of "are." One is an example is a non-word commonly mistaken for an actual word, and the other is bad grammar. In the case of 'nuclear' there are two variations of the proper pronunciation, neither is 'incorrect' or 'wrong.'

Obama often uses an alternate pronunciation of 'divisiveness' where the second 'i' is pronounced in the short form, while the popular pronunciation uses the long form. Nether is "wrong," they are both acceptable pronunciations of the word.
Yes, it is very much like "irregardless", please check the same dictionary site you just found and then honestly admit that I am correct.

Your very definition spoke of the fact that people who made this commonplace were incorrect, but it was done so often that it is now considered acceptable. Or do you not know what metathesis means?

Dixie, you have a printed dictionary lying around? Say, vintage-style from around 1999 or before?

Not to defend Sarah Palin but to counter the notion that the pronunciaton came about post 1999 or post "George Bush" which is what I feel is implied, here is a pronunciation guide from a Websters New Collegiate Dictionary published in 1973 (just happened to have one in my classroom):

nuclear - n(y)u-kle-er alt. pro. kye-ler

Just a little information for those who still want to play the elitist game and down the knuckle-dragging, ignorant, religious, intolerant southerners. Most folks here know that nothing gets my dander up any more than this sort of stuff, right Watermark?

Funny thing is that I don't even say the word the way Palin and others say it, but it irritates me when people try to use that pronunciation as a sign of ignorance.

I say Nuke-le-ear. And I am full blood hillbilly.

Right uscitizen, I have lived in the sticks all my life and say nuke-le-ar, just the way those criticizing Bush and Palin say it. It just irks me when they want to denegrade a whole group of people (some of them my friends and family) for they way they pronounce a word, even though it might be right.

Ohh well my accent has served me well from time to time. Many arrogant pricks think I am stupid because of my accent. I have wound up being the boss of many of them over the years :clink:

Yes, it is very much like "irregardless", please check the same dictionary site you just found and then honestly admit that I am correct.

Your very definition spoke of the fact that people who made this commonplace were incorrect, but it was done so often that it is now considered acceptable. Or do you not know what metathesis means?

ir·re·gard·less /ˌɪrɪˈgɑrdlɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ir-i-gahrd-lis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adverb Nonstandard.
regardless.
[Origin: 1910–15; ir-2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless]

—Usage note Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
irregardless
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.
---------------------------------------------

Now, you insufferable ass, you can continue to sit on your high horse and pretend you've "taught" me something, or that you made a correct analysis between the PROPER pronunciation of 'nuclear' and this 'word' that is not really a word, but you are just plain fucking wrong. Sorry.

There is no comparing a proper and accepted pronunciation of a real word, with a word that was invented by stupid people. It also has absolutely nothing to do with a 'metathesis' because that is the transposition of letters, syllables, or sounds in a word, as in the pronunciation... example: comfortable. [kuhmf-ter-buhl] or as in 'nuclear'. There is no metathesis in the word "irregardless". It is the IMPROPER use of a negative prefix AND suffix, and is NON STANDARD! You do know what NON STANDARD means, right?

I actually don't care how she pronounces thing, though I think "nucular" is a funny bit of deja vu.

I think it's completely ridiculous that she is spending her stump time on Wright & Ayers as the economy goes into freefall. Do people really care at all about that now?

ir·re·gard·less /ˌɪrɪˈgɑrdlɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ir-i-gahrd-lis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adverb Nonstandard.
regardless.
[Origin: 1910–15; ir-2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless]

—Usage note Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
irregardless
an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.
---------------------------------------------

Now, you insufferable ass, you can continue to sit on your high horse and pretend you've "taught" me something, or that you made a correct analysis between the PROPER pronunciation of 'nuclear' and this 'word' that is not really a word, but you are just plain fucking wrong. Sorry.

There is no comparing a proper and accepted pronunciation of a real word, with a word that was invented by stupid people. It also has absolutely nothing to do with a 'metathesis' because that is the transposition of letters, syllables, or sounds in a word, as in the pronunciation... example: comfortable. [kuhmf-ter-buhl] or as in 'nuclear'. There is no metathesis in the word "irregardless". It is the IMPROPER use of a negative prefix AND suffix, and is NON STANDARD! You do know what NON STANDARD means, right?
You were dishonest.

In the first link we have:

Usage Note: The pronunciation (nōō'kyə-lər), which is generally considered incorrect, is an example of how a familiar phonological pattern can influence an unfamiliar one. The usual pronunciation of the final two syllables of this word is (-klē-ər), but this sequence of sounds is rare in English. Much more common is the similar sequence (-kyə-lər), which occurs in words like particular, circular, spectacular, and in many scientific words like molecular, ocular, and vascular.

In the second we get:

Making the two terms very much alike. They are both considered incorrect, but are now standardized in the language and used sometimes by even the most educated among us. They also both annoy me, but not enough to change a vote. It wouldn't matter how many times Obama correctly pronounced words (which he does rather well when he finally gets them to come out) it wouldn't make me vote for him, the same goes for McCain.

Damo, your example is a word that was created which did not exist, and etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express! This is not the case with the word "nuclear" at all. There are many examples of 'metathesis' in pronunciation of words, but 'irregardless' is not one of them. You are comparing apples to oranges... or an invented made up word, with a pronunciation of a word that already exists. In your example, the dictionary clearly points out it is erroneous and incorrect, in my example, it does not say it is incorrect pronunciation, just that many disapprove of the alternate pronunciation. The phrase "generally considered incorrect" is not the same thing as "it IS incorrect" one means one thing, the other means something else. There is no comparison between a word that is incorrectly using a double-negative in the suffix and prefix, and an alternative pronunciation of a legitimate word. Irregardless, is an ERRONEOUS word... (nōō'kyə-lər) is an alternate pronunciation of a legitimate word.

I know you are a bull head, and have to make yourself right, regardless... of the facts, so you go right ahead doing that, but you haven't proven your point, and you can't prove your point, because it is irrelevant!

Back