Nazi Alert

Timshel

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/13/BA1BS4NJH.DTL

The Belmont City Council has voted to approve an ordinance prohibiting smoking in multiunit housing, a measure hailed by supporters as a landmark ban that would give residents relief from secondhand smoke drifting into their apartments and condominiums.

I really love the way they point out that it is not likely to be enforced consistently, as if that is a good feature for a law.

"Someone has to complain," Feierbach said. "Really, probably most people will not complain."

Oh God, I love this law. I wish they'd enact it in my town. My new downstairs neighbors smoke like chimneys and I actually got a headache. not to mention the fact that they just came from a building in our development that burned down.

Oh God, I love this law. I wish they'd enact it in my town. My new downstairs neighbors smoke like chimneys and I actually got a headache. not to mention the fact that they just came from a building in our development that burned down.

Go fuck yourselves.

We can't smoke in restaurants, on the streets, or now in our own homes apparently.

Go f*ck yourselves.

We can't smoke in restaurants, on the streets, or now in our own homes apparently.

If you can keep the smoke in your apartment and it doesn't seep up into ours, you'd have a point. But the fact is that it does get into other units. It gets through to the other apartments and units and it gets other people sick. Its not a victimless leisurely activity.

Might I suggest that you and your ilk start chewing tobacco.

If you can keep the smoke in your apartment and it doesn't seep up into ours, you'd have a point. But the fact is that it does get into other units. It gets through to the other apartments and units and it gets other people sick. Its not a victimless leisurely activity.

Might I suggest that you and your ilk start chewing tobacco.

Just so I'm clear. Your argument is that second hand smoke forces its way through the walls and, despite AC and circulation, the smell is both noticeable and apparently causes sickness?

And chewing tobacco sucks.

This is northern california. They hardly believe in the concept of private property anymore in that part of the world. It won't happen in most free parts of the US

Just so I'm clear. Your argument is that second hand smoke forces its way through the walls and, despite AC and circulation, the smell is both noticeable and apparently causes sickness?

Yes. It does in my apartment. They put some kind of stopper at their door, so it doesn't come into my apartment as much, but it definitely does. And yes, it is nauseating and it has given us headaches.

What really sucks even more is being forcefully subjected to second hand smoke in your home/refuge without any say in the matter. If you don't want your nicotine fix to be so regulated, I'd suggest finding a method that doesn't impead on the general population.

Yeah, I think this is a bit much. The best way to address this type of thing is through restrictive covenants, condo rules or lease restrictions for apartments.

This is northern california. They hardly believe in the concept of private property anymore in that part of the world. It won't happen in most free parts of the US

This has nothing to do with impeading on people's personal property. As a coresident, I have every right to be in my unit without being subjected to my neighbors secondhand smoke. If they can somehow make it so that the smoke stays in the individuals unit they won't have a problem. When it gets to the point where I'm at, citizens now have a means of taking action against it.

Bravo Northern California.

Yes, sounds like the glbal warming is good for business argument that ib1 laid out the other day. Downstair neighbor smokes, I get headache, therefore second hand smoke causes headaches. BS!

"If you don't want your nicotine fix to be so regulated, I'd suggest finding a method that doesn't impead on the general population."

Sorry masta. Please dont go regulatin me. I'll be good and stop smoking...

Yeah, I think this is a bit much. The best way to address this type of thing is through restrictive covenants, condo rules or lease restrictions for apartments.

That's not a bad idea. Although I still like what they are doing.

"If you don't want your nicotine fix to be so regulated, I'd suggest finding a method that doesn't impead on the general population."

Sorry masta. Please dont go regulatin me. I'll be good and stop smoking...

Do you think you have some natural right to blow your 2nd hand smoke in individuals free space?

I have a house now anyway, but still. If Tiana and the Regulate Crew can stretch a justification for banning smoking to apartments then I don't think houses would be too far behind.

Yes, sounds like the glbal warming is good for business argument that ib1 laid out the other day. Downstair neighbor smokes, I get headache, therefore second hand smoke causes headaches. BS!

It does and did! The smell of their smoke filled my kitchen. It was nauseating.

Secondly, how the fvck are you going to tell me what does and doesn't give me a headache? Are you in my head? How would you know?

My guess is that it's largely because of circulation.

I work on the top floor of our building. Because it's a Med. School and has a myriad of laboratories and offices, and in keeping with a statewide ban on smoking in state facilities, smoking is prohibited here. It's supposed to be prohibited outside as well, but no reg. has teeth unless it's enforced. In any event, people do sneak out and try to get their smoking in at the loading docks. Unfortunately, this area is not too far from the air intake for our part of the building -- several floors above, mind you. I'm in the interior of the building and have had to block off one of the major air supplies in my lab because the smoke-laden air flows directly over me. This can play havoc with some of the extremely sensitive equipment that I use, and in addition to this makes me feel quite ill. Even air from inside the building seems to be funnelled in here. I'm especially sensitive to artificial scents (perfumes, etc.) and for some reason they seem to coalesce and find their way right in here. Same problem with the equipment and when these scents do show up I suffer headache, chest pains, disorientation, etc.

It's important to realize that when you're in a multi-unit complex, even though it seems that you're isolated you really are not alone. Air is only one of the things you share, but if you're altering the state of the air then others in the complex will suffer.

Back