Newspaper Posts Gun Owners' Names

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1

A newspaper in New York has received a wave of criticism from its readers after publishing the names and addresses of all of the individuals with handgun or pistol permits in its coverage area.

Hundreds of residents in New York's Westchester and Rockland counties were surprised to find their names and addresses listed on a map posted by The Journal News on Sunday. Users can click any dot on the map to see which of their neighbors has a permit for a gun.
The map sparked more than 500 comments from readers within a day of its appearance on the website, many of them voicing outrage at the paper's decision to make the information public.

"This is CRAZY!! why in the world would you post every licensed gun owner information?? What do you hope to accomplish by doing this. This is the type of thing you do for sex offenders not law abiding gun owners. What next? should i hang a flag outside my house that says I own a gun? I am canceling my subscription with your paper today!!!" said commenter Curtis Maenza.

"How about a map of the editorial staff and publishers of Gannett and Journal News with names and addresses of their families…," wrote commenter George Thompson.

All of the names and addresses were compiled through public records. The paper also requested the information from Putnam County, which is still compiling the records for publication, according to The Journal News' website.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...addresses-215214269--abc-news-topstories.html

do you support this or do you believe it is a violation of privacy?

for me, apparently the information is public and can be accessed via FOIA. however, i can't see any reason for the paper to publish this information other than to intimidate or humiliate gun owners. while the information is public via a records request, publishing that information in a newspaper is a far cry from having to request the information. i don't believe the information should be public.

what say you?

why should it be public? should we publish the names of those who own knives? axes?

it should be private because it is a private purchase for a private individual. there is zero reason your PERSONAL information, such as address etc, should be posted. i am surprised you would support posting people's personal information simply because they own a gun.

again, why should their information be made public? they are buying a legal product and one that is protected by the second amendment. why should other products enjoy privacy protection?

I'm not debating it with you, moron. Enough reasons have been demonstrated why this is a good idea. I hope it catches on. You disagree. Big fat hairy deal. Guess those who feel as you do LOSE in that part of New York.

I'm not debating it with you, moron. Enough reasons have been demonstrated why this is a good idea. I hope it catches on. You disagree. Big fat hairy deal. Guess those who feel as you do LOSE in that part of New York.

my bad for thinking that you would actually debate an issue.

carry on bitter troll....

People buy guns becuase they are afraid and then they are afraid to have the fact that they purchased a gun be known?
Too much fear.

People buy guns becuase they are afraid and then they are afraid to have the fact that they purchased a gun be known?
Too much fear.

that is not true. you're just projecting your own fear onto people who are comfortable purchasing firearms. you don't need to be so scared of an inanimate object USC.

i have a strong feeling if a newspaper published your information simply because you toke up, you would be up in arms. pun intended.

that is not true. you're just projecting your own fear onto people who are comfortable purchasing firearms. you don't need to be so scared of an inanimate object USC.

i have a strong feeling if a newspaper published your information simply because you toke up, you would be up in arms. pun intended.

I have several guns. Many passed on to me from Father/Grandfather, etc.
I have bought a few guns. I like to shoot guns, but do not even like to kill varmits.
I have been shot and have killed with guns. NOT my choice, drafted...
I even have a CC permit and since I live alone and people know I have money I keep a 1911 M1A1 in a holster on my power chair. People know this and do not mess with me.
So imho if people know yu are armed they do not mess with you right? Or are guns not a crime deterrent?
right wingers seem conflicted on this.

I also like to blow things up. Should we all be allowed to own explosives?
Det cord is lots of fun and a handy tool on the farm.

this has zero to do with freedom of speech.

if you think so, post up your address.

Why doesn't it?

State and government records are by necessity, public records.

Why are gun owners so scared to have their name in the paper?

I think we should post names and addresses of KKK members too, but the two lists might match more than y'all want.

A newspaper in New York has received a wave of criticism from its readers after publishing the names and addresses of all of the individuals with handgun or pistol permits in its coverage area.

Hundreds of residents in New York's Westchester and Rockland counties were surprised to find their names and addresses listed on a map posted by The Journal News on Sunday. Users can click any dot on the map to see which of their neighbors has a permit for a gun.
The map sparked more than 500 comments from readers within a day of its appearance on the website, many of them voicing outrage at the paper's decision to make the information public.

"This is CRAZY!! why in the world would you post every licensed gun owner information?? What do you hope to accomplish by doing this. This is the type of thing you do for sex offenders not law abiding gun owners. What next? should i hang a flag outside my house that says I own a gun? I am canceling my subscription with your paper today!!!" said commenter Curtis Maenza.

"How about a map of the editorial staff and publishers of Gannett and Journal News with names and addresses of their families…," wrote commenter George Thompson.

All of the names and addresses were compiled through public records. The paper also requested the information from Putnam County, which is still compiling the records for publication, according to The Journal News' website.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...addresses-215214269--abc-news-topstories.html

do you support this or do you believe it is a violation of privacy?

for me, apparently the information is public and can be accessed via FOIA. however, i can't see any reason for the paper to publish this information other than to intimidate or humiliate gun owners. while the information is public via a records request, publishing that information in a newspaper is a far cry from having to request the information. i don't believe the information should be public.

what say you?

Anyone who has their residence broken into, following this publication, should list the paper as a co-conspiriter in the robbery.

Back