Nothing—Not Even Congress—Is Stopping the NIL Era

How is it any less progressive, or less a move towards equity, now that more states are participating?

As far as trying to buy teams look at A&M, Miami and Oregon. How much success have they had? (they have been the biggest players in the N.I.L. space)

The States have little to do with it, many have eliminated State statutes that may have presented hurdles, but ultimately, the States have little influence or control.

Give it time, only been two or three years, schools are learning, and I wouldn’t say it hasn’t benefited some, look at the Florida teams in the NCAA basketball tournament

That seems a rather large generalization. Kids from all socio economic backgrounds play sports growing up. Even if you are talking just football and basketball (the two sports with the largest black participation rate) the same thing exists.

Alright, we’ll clarify it, a good number as opposed to a large percentage, especially in those two sports

Your post got me thinking, they used to have this discussion on the USC board under Helton (and it got contentious). Some argued he went too much after the (black) kids from two family homes and we didn’t have enough “dawgs” on our team (aka kids who come from single family homes). For starters that’s a generalization in and of itself and then of course the calls of racism were invoked.

I get the argument in theory, a poor kid from a single family home just wants it more. And maybe the numbers bear it out. But I saw on the USC board you are wading into the deep end when you make it.

Not necessarily, however, for a kid growing up in unfortunate circumstances sports is often seen as the main avenue out, so they focus on the game more than some others might. The sad reality is that of the say thousands who do, a handful succeed.

Then again when you are breaking down recruiting purposely into one and two parent households racism could enter the exchange

The States have little to do with it, many have eliminated State statutes that may have presented hurdles, but ultimately, the States have little influence or control.

Give it time, only been two or three years, schools are learning, and I wouldn’t say it hasn’t benefited some, look at the Florida teams in the NCAA basketball tournament

Doesn't college basketball belie your argument though? At least this past year the blue bloods who in theory can give the largest N.I.L. didn't have success. Top schools who focus on the one and done's aren't always the one winning. Now it's about the transfer portal and having an experienced team.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, however, for a kid growing up in unfortunate circumstances sports is often seen as the main avenue out, so they focus on the game more than some others might. The sad reality is that of the say thousands who do, a handful succeed.

Then again when you are breaking down recruiting purposely into one and two parent households racism could enter the exchange

I actually agree with you that to many (let's just say it, black) families and kids see athletics as the way out and put an over emphasis on it. The argument in response will be that's because of systemic racism and America being a racist country that they don't see other avenues to achieve in. But regardless of what you believe regarding that last sentence, it's a reality. But that still doesn't change that middle and upper middle class kids will still play sports and spend lots of time on it.

Doesn't college basketball belie your argument though? At least this past year the blue bloods who in theory can give the largest N.I.L. didn't have success. Top schools who focus on the one and done's aren't always the one winning. Now it's about the transfer portal and having an experienced team.

As I said, has been only two years, give it a decade, and the transfer portal accelerates the process, kid don’t like the money he is getting in one school, or the academic requirements, transfer to a school who can offer him more with less regulation

I actually agree with you that to many (let's just say it, black) families and kids see athletics as the way out and put an over emphasis on it. The argument in response will be that's because of systemic racism and America being a racist country that they don't see other avenues to achieve in. But regardless of what you believe regarding that last sentence, it's a reality. But that still doesn't change that middle and upper middle class kids will still play sports and spend lots of time on it.

True, in most cases, their situation can be attributed to racism, and the middle/upper class kid is generally not going to spend the same time or investment, means less to them, plus they do have other alternatives.

True, in most cases, their situation can be attributed to racism, and the middle/upper class kid is generally not going to spend the same time or investment, means less to them, plus they do have other alternatives.

How do kids (who come from families with means) become pro golfers, tennis players, baseball players or any other sport? Do you think football and basketball are the only two sports that require commitment? And again, not all basketball or football players come from poor families. It's interesting you think someone like Steph Curry put in an less of an effort to get where he is because he had two parents and his family had means.

As I said, has been only two years, give it a decade, and the transfer portal accelerates the process, kid don’t like the money he is getting in one school, or the academic requirements, transfer to a school who can offer him more with less regulation

Kids are allowed one transfer in the portal and a graduation transfer (meaning they have to earn a degree). And to go into the transfer portal and play at a new school you have to be academically eligible.

If there's some data out there showing kids aren't going to class and entering the transfer portal ineligible but are being allowed to play, I'm open to reading it. But seems that would be in the news and discussed on various football message boards but I've seen none of it.

How do kids (who come from families with means) become pro golfers, tennis players, baseball players or any other sport? Do you think football and basketball are the only two sports that require commitment? And again, not all basketball or football players come from poor families. It's interesting you think someone like Steph Curry put in an less of an effort to get where he is because he had two parents and his family had means.

Well, tennis and golf is obvious, coming from means, they were most likely exposed to the games and have the resources to pursue it. I’d say the high percentage of professional Spanish baseball players supports my argument, plus the fact there aren’t a whole lot of little leagues in inner city neighborhoods.

Not a question of just commitment, even though, yes, the white suburban kid is generally going to have more access to other sports plus interests and the circumstances to pursue them. They’ll be engaged in several direction, whereas the city kid will look in one direction that is the easiest one to pursue

Lastly, never said poverty was a common denominator to success in sports, rather that those coming from poverty, often due to racism, largely see specific sports as a means to an end, not just a game for entertainment or personal achievement

Kids are allowed one transfer in the portal and a graduation transfer (meaning they have to earn a degree). And to go into the transfer portal and play at a new school you have to be academically eligible.

If there's some data out there showing kids aren't going to class and entering the transfer portal ineligible but are being allowed to play, I'm open to reading it. But seems that would be in the news and discussed on various football message boards but I've seen none of it.

I don’t think the kid pursuing six figure payouts is too concerned about graduation, or even multiple years in college, and as we seen in Kentucky basketball, a kid can stay eligible for whole season with no grades, and then do enough in summer sessions to regain eligibility

You are still hung up on the eligibility/academic requirements, when was the last time an Alabama or Ohio State, or most schools for that matter, disqualified a star athlete during the season for academic reasons? It is occurring today, and when the NIL really kicks in, academics will further fade. Not saying USC, but it surely will happening with a lot of their competitors, have to be naive not to think so, it is all about the money

Well, tennis and golf is obvious, coming from means, they were most likely exposed to the games and have the resources to pursue it. I’d say the high percentage of professional Spanish baseball players supports my argument, plus the fact there aren’t a whole lot of little leagues in inner city neighborhoods.

Not a question of just commitment, even though, yes, the white suburban kid is generally going to have more access to other sports plus interests and the circumstances to pursue them. They’ll be engaged in several direction, whereas the city kid will look in one direction that is the easiest one to pursue

Lastly, never said poverty was a common denominator to success in sports, rather that those coming from poverty, often due to racism, largely see specific sports as a means to an end, not just a game for entertainment or personal achievement

To achieve the highest level of any sport you have to put in the work. There's no data out there that says football and basketball require more work than any other sport to become great. I don't understand this thought that because one doesn't grow up in poverty, regardless of race, they will put in less work when trying to become great at a sport. I don't feel like I'm unique in knowing a number of people who played Division I sports and they'll all talk about the effort and sacrifice it took to get there (and we're not even talking about making it to the professional level).

And while on a percentage basis black kids grow up in more poverty than white, Asian or Hispanic kids not all black kids grow up in poverty. Not every black football or basketball player comes from a poor single family household.

I don’t think the kid pursuing six figure payouts is too concerned about graduation, or even multiple years in college, and as we seen in Kentucky basketball, a kid can stay eligible for whole season with no grades, and then do enough in summer sessions to regain eligibility

You are still hung up on the eligibility/academic requirements, when was the last time an Alabama or Ohio State, or most schools for that matter, disqualified a star athlete during the season for academic reasons? It is occurring today, and when the NIL really kicks in, academics will further fade. Not saying USC, but it surely will happening with a lot of their competitors, have to be naive not to think so, it is all about the money

Many kids who go to college who aren't athletes don't graduate. Div 1 college athletes graduate at the same level as non-athletes. High level of black football and basketball players graduate. Now one can debate the quality of the degree, but they graduate. You're throwing out assumptions and playing with stereo types that black athletes don't care about academics and while that is true for some individuals (of all races) the numbers don't bare out your contention.

To achieve the highest level of any sport you have to put in the work. There's no data out there that says football and basketball require more work than any other sport to become great. I don't understand this thought that because one doesn't grow up in poverty, regardless of race, they will put in less work when trying to become great at a sport. I don't feel like I'm unique in knowing a number of people who played Division I sports and they'll all talk about the effort and sacrifice it took to get there (and we're not even talking about making it to the professional level).

And while on a percentage basis black kids grow up in more poverty than white, Asian or Hispanic kids not all black kids grow up in poverty. Not every black football or basketball player comes from a poor single family household.

Of course it is about effort and dedication, but the middle class kid has so many options and resources that the overwhelming majority from early age will diverse in what they pursue thereby not putting that time into one sport. The innercity kid, missing the options/resources, will totally focus on one, and to him/her, it is looked upon as a means to an end

And I never said you had to be poor to excel in a sport or come from a single family household, only mentioned it above in response to the racist post earlier someone offered implying Blacks were dumb and sports was the only way they could into college

Many kids who go to college who aren't athletes don't graduate. Div 1 college athletes graduate at the same level as non-athletes. High level of black football and basketball players graduate. Now one can debate the quality of the degree, but they graduate. You're throwing out assumptions and playing with stereo types that black athletes don't care about academics and while that is true for some individuals (of all races) the numbers don't bare out your contention.

Not even close, in fact, irrelevant, again, never said black athletes don’t care about academics, rather, that those athletes pursing seven figure salaries for sports aren’t overly concerned about academics, not their primary reason for attending college

And you are interjecting too much race into the exchange, implying those looking to manipulate the system to their advantage are minority students, that was never a variable in my explanation why NIL will end college sports as we know it

Of course it is about effort and dedication, but the middle class kid has so many options and resources that the overwhelming majority from early age will diverse in what they pursue thereby not putting that time into one sport. The innercity kid, missing the options/resources, will totally focus on one, and to him/her, it is looked upon as a means to an end

And I never said you had to be poor to excel in a sport or come from a single family household, only mentioned it above in response to the racist post earlier someone offered implying Blacks were dumb and sports was the only way they could into college

I just don't see it that way. I have many friends that grew up in very poor parts of Oakland that played multiple sports growing up. They aren't unique. I've never heard that argument that poor kids play only one sport and rich kids play multiple sports.

And the way things are going today they are trying to force many kids, even the kids who come from money, to play one sport early. I think it's stupid to force a kid to specialize at a young age. But kids with money are playing on these club and travel teams at younger and younger ages and they are basically full time commitments.

I think you have some incorrect stereotypes in your head.

Not even close, in fact, irrelevant, again, never said black athletes don’t care about academics, rather, that those athletes pursing seven figure salaries for sports aren’t overly concerned about academics, not their primary reason for attending college

And you are interjecting too much race into the exchange, implying those looking to manipulate the system to their advantage are minority students, that was never a variable in my explanation why NIL will end college sports as we know it

There have been kids who simply saw college as a means to get to the NFL or NBA or MLB well before N.I.L. This wouldn't be a new phenomenon. Not every kid is either cut out for college or wants to go to college (whether they play sports or not). That's just a reality. So yeah, there are kids are college campuses for whom academics are an afterthought other than staying eligible for their sport. But you still have to stay eligible. You're projecting all this, that they now won't go to class.

I read the USC board and others and have seen no one projecting what you are. And there are people in the know who have knowledge of those who struggle academically. If kids weren't going to class, it would get out. Very little to nothing stays a secret in the era of social media.

I just don't see it that way. I have many friends that grew up in very poor parts of Oakland that played multiple sports growing up. They aren't unique. I've never heard that argument that poor kids play only one sport and rich kids play multiple sports.

And the way things are going today they are trying to force many kids, even the kids who come from money, to play one sport early. I think it's stupid to force a kid to specialize at a young age. But kids with money are playing on these club and travel teams at younger and younger ages and they are basically full time commitments.

I think you have some incorrect stereotypes in your head.

They play the one sport cause they see that sport as a means to an end, and they have the resources and access to purse it, others, as just a sport or entertainment, ain’t a whole lot of inner. Tell us then, why aren’t there a lot of black professional golfers?

There have been kids who simply saw college as a means to get to the NFL or NBA or MLB well before N.I.L. This wouldn't be a new phenomenon. Not every kid is either cut out for college or wants to go to college (whether they play sports or not). That's just a reality. So yeah, there are kids are college campuses for whom academics are an afterthought other than staying eligible for their sport. But you still have to stay eligible. You're projecting all this, that they now won't go to class.

I read the USC board and others and have seen no one projecting what you are. And there are people in the know who have knowledge of those who struggle academically. If kids weren't going to class, it would get out. Very little to nothing stays a secret in the era of social media.

Being eligible is defined by the school, again, when was the last time you heard of a big time football school declaring a star athlete ineligible

And again, it has only been two years, two years ago you would have had a hard time believing a unproven high school kid would be offered a million dollar contract to play a college sport, and today it is a reality, and more than one

Back