NY Senate Seat

Cancel 2016.2

The Almighty
http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2008/12/16/who-playswho-pays/

From Joe Klein over at Time...

Obviously he would be remiss if he didn't mention Kennedy, but he brought up some other ideas for the Senate seat. Would love to hear from New Yorkers or others familiar with these people to get their thoughts....

"Certainly, New York State is filled with extraordinary people. Here are four:

--Dr. Harold Varmus, former head of the National Institutes of Health, now director of the Memorial Sloan Kettering cancer hospital. He could add real value to the Senate's health insurance debate.

--Geoffrey Canada has spent his life doing extraordinary work with the young people, especially the young men, of Harlem. He would be a strong, African-American voice for the poor.

--Vishaka Desai, president of the Asia Society would be the first member of the Senate born in India. She would bring great knowledge about the world's hottest hot-spot to the Senate, plus great expertise in the areas of education and culture.

--Judge Judith Kaye, the briliant chief justice of New York's highest court, soon to retire.
"

How about McNulty? He seems to have the most "moderate" record of any of the New York Dem reps in the house (which admittedly isn't saying much).
http://www.acuratings.org/2007all.htm#NY

Why does that matter? "Moderate" isn't necessarily a virtue. It's a liberal state with a liberal governor replacing a liberal Senator. Why should a moderate be the replacement? Maybe that makes sense in Colorado for replacing Salazar, but it makes no sense at all in New York.

LOL. Are you actually going to just go through the list of Demcoratic reps in the house and just say that he should pick the one with the highest rating from the ACU?

No, he's not going to do that, that's what he did. I'm sure he could tell you next to nothing about McNulty other that his ACU rating, including the fact that he retired from Congress and did not run for reelection this year.

Last edited:
Why does that matter? "Moderate" isn't necessarily a virtue. It's a liberal state with a liberal governor replacing a liberal Senator. Why should a moderate be the replacement? Maybe that makes sense in Colorado for replacing Salazar, but it makes no sense at all in New York.

I am pissed that we are losing Salazar. Hopefully Ritter will replace him with a Salazar clone. That was a good pick up by Obama.

I am pissed that we are losing Salazar. Hopefully Ritter will replace him with a Salazar clone. That was a good pick up by Obama.

I'm glad he's out of the Senate and hope for more of a lefty. The House Blue Dogs are bad enough. No need to repeat that crap in the Senate.

Edit: I also heard rumors that the mayor of Denver is under consideration, which would make Damo's head explode. Hence, I like it (although I know next to nothing about the guy).

They should just ask me to move there and appoint me. Because you all know I'd be perfect for the job!

I'm glad he's out of the Senate and hope for more of a lefty. The House Blue Dogs are bad enough. No need to repeat that crap in the Senate.

Edit: I also heard rumors that the mayor of Denver is under consideration, which would make Damo's head explode. Hence, I like it (although I know next to nothing about the guy).
If it wasn't for his total incompetence and lust for every tax that has ever looked in his direction....

Well I'm not in NY and hail from the righteous state of IL, :rolleyes: but thought I'd toss this op-ed into the mix:

http://pajamasmedia.com/claudiarosett/the-banana-republic-of-new-york/

The Banana Republic of New York
Posted By Claudia Rosett On December 16, 2008

When you’re done reading the Blagojevich complaint, with its attendant insights into Illinois politics, spare a thought for New York — where [1] Caroline Kennedy wants a sit-down with Governor David Paterson, with the aim of claiming Hillary Clinton’s soon-to-be-vacant Senate seat.

Is there anything wrong with that picture?

Well, let’s imagine for a moment that it’s not New York State we’re talking about, but some province – call it the State of Banana — in some nameless republic rife with dynastic politics.

Here’s a sample of the politics:

Eight years ago, a Senate seat from the Banana State was won by the wife of a sitting president of the republic. That wife had never before resided in Banana State, but she bought a house there, campaigned with the aura and entourage accorded to a presidential spouse, and with one leap, winning her first elected office ever, she became a senator.

Riding a national political machine to re-election for a second term, that former first lady swiftly turned her Senate seat into a springboard for her own campaign for the presidency. She lost, but took a job in the new administration, leaving the governor of Banana State to appoint a replacement senator.

That governor was himself a replacement, due to the [2] resignation of the elected governor, a crusading moralist caught in a prostitution scandal. As the replacement governor prepared to name a replacement senator, a former president’s daughter declared her interest in the Senate seat — which [3] one of her uncles had won some 44 years earlier, and was using as a springboard for his own presidential run, after serving as attorney-general in his brother’s presidential administration. This former first daughter had recently worked on the campaign of the President-elect — an experience that awakened in her [4] an appetite for politics – but she had reached the age of 51 with no direct experience of her own in public office. Nonetheless, another of her uncles, also a senator, was ready to endorse her for this leap to the Senate. So was the mayor of Big Plum (the biggest city in Banana State), who on his own turf had just succeeded in scrapping a two-term limit so he could run for a third term — [5] which he justified as a way of offering people a broader choice (namely, himself).

That’s how it works in Banana Republics. Whatever Caroline Kennedy’s native abilities, celebrity mantle and political connections, if she thinks this is a good way for things to work in New York State, that alone is reason to worry about her qualifications for the job.

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2008/12/16/who-playswho-pays/

From Joe Klein over at Time...

Obviously he would be remiss if he didn't mention Kennedy, but he brought up some other ideas for the Senate seat. Would love to hear from New Yorkers or others familiar with these people to get their thoughts....

"Certainly, New York State is filled with extraordinary people. Here are four:

--Dr. Harold Varmus, former head of the National Institutes of Health, now director of the Memorial Sloan Kettering cancer hospital. He could add real value to the Senate's health insurance debate.

--Geoffrey Canada has spent his life doing extraordinary work with the young people, especially the young men, of Harlem. He would be a strong, African-American voice for the poor.

--Vishaka Desai, president of the Asia Society would be the first member of the Senate born in India. She would bring great knowledge about the world's hottest hot-spot to the Senate, plus great expertise in the areas of education and culture.

--Judge Judith Kaye, the briliant chief justice of New York's highest court, soon to retire.
"

There is no he.

We have 16 women in the Senate. There are 100 seats. Women make up over half of our population. They are severely underepresented. The seat is held by a woman. There is no he. A woman will be appointed.

The voters of New York state, if you don't mind my mentioning something so off-topic to you people from other states, are split between Cuomo and Kennedy. Democratic voters in NYS, favor Kennedy by 10 points. No one else comes up on the polling radar.

There is no he.

We have 16 women in the Senate. There are 100 seats. Women make up over half of our population. They are severely underepresented. The seat is held by a woman. There is no he. A woman will be appointed.

The voters of New York state, if you don't mind my mentioning something so off-topic to you people from other states, are split between Cuomo and Kennedy. Democratic voters in NYS, favor Kennedy by 10 points. No one else comes up on the polling radar.

which just goes to show it's all about the name in NY. pretty much a slam dunk as nobody except upstaters has the ability to think for themselves in politics

There is no he.

lol touchy much.

There is no he.

Pardon me, but I definitely did see a man on that list.

There is no he.

If they appoint someone simply because of gender, then they are pathetic.

If you had taken a moment and read some of his suggestions, you would note that there were two qualified women on that list. That said, I don't doubt that the population is split between Cuomo and Kennedy. Which is why I thought this an interesting article to bring up to New Yorkers to see what they thought of Kleins suggestions.

But as we can see, no one else comes up on the radar but yet another of the political aristocracy. How sad.

If they appoint someone simply because of gender, then they are pathetic.

If you had taken a moment and read some of his suggestions, you would note that there were two qualified women on that list. That said, I don't doubt that the population is split between Cuomo and Kennedy. Which is why I thought this an interesting article to bring up to New Yorkers to see what they thought of Kleins suggestions.

But as we can see, no one else comes up on the radar but yet another of the political aristocracy. How sad.

I read them, and noted the males on it. I thought you should be informed of some reality. And what is pathetic is that in a country with over 50% of the population being female, we have 16 female US Senators, and you, like a typical thoughtless neanderthal, are pushing to make it 15 by appointing some man to a woman-held seat.

Well, this is NY, and that's not happening here. Worry about your own state, I hear a seat just opened up there.

I read them, and noted the males on it. I thought you should be informed of some reality. And what is pathetic is that in a country with over 50% of the population being female, we have 16 female US Senators, and you, like a typical thoughtless neanderthal, are pushing to make it 15 by appointing some man to a woman-held seat.

Well, this is NY, and that's not happening here. Worry about your own state, I hear a seat just opened up there.

Personally, I do not vote for people based on gender, race, religion or sexual orientation.

As for your complete bullshit of 'trying to push another man'... again I point out to you that on his list were two men and two women. So please Darla, how is that 'pushing a man for the seat'??? Please fucking explain that to us Darla. Because I simply pointed to a writers list and asked for thoughts from others. So please Darla, get off your fucking high horse or better yet, pull your head out of that horses ass long enough to realize what a complete fool you are making of yourself.

FYI... as you said, women make up over 50% of the population. They have the power to elect women to the Senate if their sole purpose is to elect more women.

FYI... as you said, women make up over 50% of the population. They have the power to elect women to the Senate if their sole purpose is to elect more women.

LOL... It must be the male political rule that holds women back from being able to run for office and thus allowing women to vote for other women.

Back