Obama hits it out of the park

I was wondering how the anecdotal stories meant to evoke an emotional response would play. I thought they were transparent, while those who want to vote for him thought the whole thing was "magical".

Um, his choice for President certainly has got them. Are you Catholic? Maybe I am the only one here who is?

I don't know, but if so, that's fine, I'll let everyone know - Catholics are pissed off that John McCain publically embraced a man who has called us whores, and many other things, and who is known - BY OTHER CONSERVATIVES - to be the biggest anti-Catholic bigot in this country.

And we're not going to take this shit anymore!

4 years of catholic highschool. married a catholic in the church.. baptized kid catholic.. i was raised a congregationalist protestant and see no need to get that involved to actually do any sort of conversions.

I was wondering how the anecdotal stories meant to evoke an emotional response would play. I thought they were transparent, while those who want to vote for him thought the whole thing was "magical".

I think your bias has become pretty clear the past few weeks.

I have admitted to being an Obama homer, which is why I was happy to see a fairly universal reaction to his speech on RCP & elsewhere, including a lot of conservative praise.

I was wondering how the anecdotal stories meant to evoke an emotional response would play. I thought they were transparent,

GASP! I'm shocked that you thought Obama's speech was cynical and phony. Will wonders never cease!

while those who want to vote for him thought the whole thing was "magical".

Speaking for myself, I've never put Obama on a pedestal. But, I've got to admit, after listening to speeches, press confereences and town hall forums by the dimwit you helped elect in 2000, Obama's speeches tend to blow me away, in terms of the sheer art of oration.

The wingnuts are going to keep flogging the "racist" black church thing, onceler.

I'll have to watch the speech later. I'll give the guy props for being an amazing orator.

"But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

Apparently Obama is a wingnut.... right Gumby????

I think your bias has become pretty clear the past few weeks.

I have admitted to being an Obama homer, which is why I was happy to see a fairly universal reaction to his speech on RCP & elsewhere, including a lot of conservative praise.
I thought it was always clear that I wasn't going to vote for, nor did I like Obama as a candidate. For much longer than the "past few weeks". All the time you have known me I have been a republican, and never have tried to give you any impression otherwise. Hence my statement was "I was wondering" and then description of my own reaction.

Why should I make my remarks reflect your opinion? I thought the anecdotal stories like the mustard and relish story were transparent. Of course I get sick of them no matter who gives them in a speech.

The "Just the other day, this person who gave me 75 cents for my campaign because that was all they had" stories make me ill because to me they are always transparent.

GASP! I'm shocked that you thought Obama's speech was cynical and phony. Will wonders never cease!

Speaking for myself, I've never put Obama on a pedestal. But, I've got to admit, after listening to speeches, press confereences and town hall forums by the dimwit you helped elect in 2000, Obama's speeches tend to blow me away, in terms of the sheer art of oration.

:p do you ever wonder whether or not we'd be so impressed with his speeches had Monkey boy actually been literate and annunciated his words?

Everyone keeps talking about how the clips of the pastor are going to be playing between now & November, but I just don't see it. In what context? What kind of political ad that wasn't stupidly obvious would show them, and with what message?

I don't know; I could be wrong. I think they've already been played out, and I think the speech today did an excellent job of making those who would dwell on it seem regressive & petty.

No they won't be playing till November. Hillary will be done promoting them by the August convention.

Again..... this....

""But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

Should end all doubts about where Obama stands on the issue.

I thought it was always clear that I wasn't going to vote for, nor did I like Obama as a candidate.

Why should I make my remarks reflect your opinion?

Who said you had to?

I admit I'm biased, but I can also see your bias as clear as day. I doubt Obama could have said anything today to remove that bias. That's okay; on this day, I'm happy to see a wide range of opinion, from a variety of political philosophies, agree with me.

The dude hit it out of the park, and made the speech not just of his lifetime, but of this era, at least as it pertains to racial relations in America. This could potentially go down with "I have a dream," and one of your first comments is "transparent."

I would agree with that. His ability to speak is far better than Bush's.

However that doesn't change that I thought the anecdotal stories took away from the overall speech.

Who said you had to?

I admit I'm biased, but I can also see your bias as clear as day. I doubt Obama could have said anything today to remove that bias. That's okay; on this day, I'm happy to see a wide range of opinion, from a variety of political philosophies, agree with me.

The dude hit it out of the park, and made the speech not just of his lifetime, but of this era, at least as it pertains to racial relations in America. This could potentially go down with "I have a dream," and one of your first comments is "transparent."
You make it sound like I somehow tricked you before into thinking I was some sort of Democrat. I have never given that impression. I assumed you would know that particular bias existed. "The past few weeks you have" crap can go away if you are going to admit you have known me longer than that.

You make it sound like I somehow tricked you before into thinking I was some sort of Democrat. I have never given that impression. I assumed you would know that particular bias existed. "The past few weeks you have" crap can go away if you are going to admit you have known me longer than that.

I have never thought you were a Democrat - EVER. As for the "past few weeks" comment, that has more to do with the anti-Obama bias I've seen from you. When I say "bias," I'm not using the word in terms of your political philosophy; I'm using it in terms of noting that you are automatically geared to criticize most of what Obama says, or over-react to things like the Wright story when it broke.

It just means that your comments on Obama are predictable, and have more to do with your bias than about anything he does or says.

SO basically, your position is that Obama offered an "unqualified endorsement" of Reverend Wright even though he didn't, and that Obama will "have to pay the price" for doing what he didn't do?

The usual unsupported fibs and misquotes. (yawn)

Given the choice between disassociating himself from a racist hatemonger years ago, and not disassociating himself, Obama made the wrong choice. In that, his judgement has failed him. Pretty speeches and excuses won't help him now... as he will find out in Novermber (or perhaps even sooner).

The campaign commercials are being written even as we speak.

Voiceover: "Obama offers us his 'judgement' as his best qualification to be President. But that 'judgement' led him to call this man is 'spiritual advisor and mentor', even after he found out what his sermons could be like."

(Cut to a clip of Wright screaming 'GOD DAMN AMERICA', saying white people invented AIDS to kill black people and we deserved the events of 9/11, etc.)

Voiceover: "And when this man finally retired, Obama even hired him as a campaign adviser, as recently as March, 2008. Is this the kind of 'judgement' we really want in the White House?"

The Democrats have lived by the photo-op for decades now: brief clips and soundbites showing what they supposedly believed and carefully leaving out what they didn't want shown.

They're about to die by the photo-op, in November or sooner. And it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch. :clink:

Last edited:

Your posts to Onceler are weird today.

I have never thought you were a Democrat - EVER. As for the "past few weeks" comment, that has more to do with the anti-Obama bias I've seen from you. When I say "bias," I'm not using the word in terms of your political philosophy; I'm using it in terms of noting that you are automatically geared to criticize most of what Obama says, or over-react to things like the Wright story when it broke.

It just means that your comments on Obama are predictable, and have more to do with your bias than about anything he does or says.
Yeah. I'd do the same for Hillary. It is part of my regular bias against all things democrat.

As for the "last few weeks". I was tired of reading all the worship and decided to give it a bit of a balance.

Given the choice between disassociating himself from a racist hatemonger years ago, and not disassociating himself, Obama made the wrong choice. In that, his judgement has failed him. Pretty speeches and excuses won't help him now... as he will find out in Novermber (or perhaps even sooner).

Voiceover: "Obama offers us his "judgement" as his best qualification to be President. But that "judgement" led him to call this man is "spiritual advisor and mentor", even after he found out what his sermons could be like."

(Cut to a clip of Wright screaming 'GOD DAMN AMERICA', saying white people invented AIDS to kill black people and we deserved the events of 9/11, etc.)

Voiceover: "And when this man finally retired, Obama even hired him as a campaign adviser, as recently as March, 2008. Is this the kind of 'judgement' we really want in the White House?"

The Democrats have lived by the photo-op for decades now: brief clips and soundbites showing what they supposedly believed and carefully leaving out what they didn't want shown.

They're about to die by the photo-op, in November or sooner. And it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch. :clink:

Weak.

I think people are wrong about this. It might play to some people, but an ad like that will cut both ways. I'm just not seeing it.

Voiceover: "Obama offers us his "judgement" as his best qualification to be President. But that "judgement" led him to call this man is "spiritual advisor and mentor", even after he found out what his sermons could be like."

So you mean to tell me that Republicans and their proxies are going to say mean things about the Democratic candidate? I'm shocked!

As for the usual "unsupported fibs and misquotes," maybe you should re-read the speech and show me where Obama offered an "unqualified endorsement" of Wright.

Finally, the photo-op thing is laughable coming from a Republican:

images

images

Man, that picture of Bush in the flight suit is vomit-inducing.

They should have gotten him off to the Afghan front lines for his "romantic adventure" when he was all suited up like that...

Man, that picture of Bush in the flight suit is vomit-inducing.

They should have gotten him off to the Afghan front lines for his "romantic adventure" when he was all suited up like that...

I never got over that one. I honestly couldn't believe they thought it was appropriate to send him out with a tightly highlighted stuffed jock strap? It's actually revolting. I think that all of the repressed homosexuals in the republican party went crazy for it though.

I never got over that one. I honestly couldn't believe they thought it was appropriate to send him out with a tightly highlighted stuffed jock strap? It's actually revolting. I think that all of the repressed homosexuals in the republican party went crazy for it though.

Oh, it was absolutely disgusting. O'Reilly was gushing like a lovesick teenager. They kept comparing it to Dukakis, as kind of the exact opposite, because he looked so "perfect" dressed like that.

It's always made me sick how they perceive him with regard to the military. That man has nothing but contempt for the military.

Back