Oil Hypocrites on Capitol Hill

The Bare Knuckled Pundit

Grand Inquisitor
Ever the loyal partisan, President Bush couldn’t pass up an opportunity to take a shot at Democrats in Congress even as the failure of his mission to Riyadh to seek additional Saudi oil production reinforced the realization that he is increasingly a lame duck. Ironically, looking beyond the political rhetoric, he has a point.

In Godfather-like fashion, assuring the President their decision was business and not personal and that world markets were well supplied, the Saudis politely, but firmly rejected his request for additional production. This marked the second time in four months Bush has traveled to the desert kingdom, and the world’s largest oil producer, only to be rebuffed as oil and gas prices continue their meteoric rise.

Well aware how the Saudi decision would play at home, Bush preemptively struck at Democrats in Congress. All but openly calling them hypocrites, Bush said, “"One of the interesting things about American politics these days is those who are screaming the loudest for increased production from Saudi Arabia are the very same people who are fighting the fiercest against domestic exploration……..and against expanding refining capacity.”

Hear, hear!!!

Kudos to the President for stating the obvious, however late in the game it may be. Only the Democrats in Congress would have the temerity to badger and berate someone else for not doing what they themselves refuse to do.

The Saudis have made their decision based on what is in their economic and strategic interests. You may not like it, but at least they’re honest about it. Remember, this is business, not personal.

The Democrats, on the other hand, have pandered to environmentalists and the NIMBY (not in my back yard) crowd of state and local officials while nationally we pay the price for their decision. They then turn around and blame everyone from the President to Big Oil to OPEC to Chinese and Indian drivers to Detroit to market speculators; everyone but themselves. While the Saudis and well-healed market traders and oil company CEOs are easy political targets, they are only part of a complex equation that the Democrats themselves are a part of as well. As Queen Gertrude so aptly observed, “The lady doth protest too much, me-thinks.”

Had Congress and Bill Clinton had the intestinal fortitude to open up ANWAR and the continental shelves to responsible exploration and development back in the 1990s, there would be anywhere from two to five million additional barrels of domestically produced crude on the market today.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Madame Speaker Nancy Pelosi was a member of Congress during that time. Clearly, like so many of her Democratic colleagues, she placed the environmentally sensitive beliefs of her constituents ahead of the pocketbook interests of the rest of the country.

Lest my liberal friends begin howling about the Republican Congress of the 90s and the Bush administration of the last seven years, rest assured I hold them equally responsible and similarly guilty of a damnable lack of political will. This is after all business and not personal.

Nonetheless, let’s take a look at the two-fold impact an additional two to five million barrels of domestically produced oil would have on the markets.

First, the additional crude would lower prices and provide an additional cushion between global production and demand. Psychology is a driving force in energy markets. Fear of tightening supplies and diminished spare capacity is a very real concern. So much so that analysts believe the market has priced in a “fear premium” of somewhere between $10 and $25 a barrel. Added domestic production would reduce both the market price and the fear premium substantially.

Second, the dollars spent purchasing that oil would go into the coffers of domestic oil companies, not foreign national oil companies. That money would not be added to the trade deficit. Nor would it provide added weight to a sinking dollar. In fact, it would do the exact opposite and would reinforce the strength and value of the dollar.

Additionally, while Big Oil is an easy political target, it provides jobs in the United States; good paying jobs, at that. It also creates stock value which supports retirement security and pays for the college education of millions of Americans. Additional Saudi production will generate profits for Saudi Aramco, not Exxon Mobil or Chevron. Accordingly, not one retiree’s nest egg will be lined nor one student sent to college in America no matter how much the Saudis open their spigots. This will occur by reaping the economic benefits of allowing domestic oil companies do what they are designed to do best; produce oil.

Finally, as the President noted, there is the issue of refining capacity, No matter how much the Saudis open their spigots or how many additional barrels we could potentially produce domestically, we do not have sufficient domestic refining capacity to handle it.

The last week of April, we imported almost 1.5 million barrels of refined gasoline a day. Yes, we’re not only importing crude oil, we’re also importing refined gasoline. Why? Because we haven’t built a new refinery in the US since Jimmy Carter was president.

While refiners have incrementally added additional capacity in existing facilities, it has not come close to keeping up with increased demand. We are essentially trying to run a growing 21st Century economy with a 30+ year old energy infrastructure system. Government regulation and the NIMBY crowd are in large part to blame for this. While they all want the benefits of oil and gas, they don’t want to be exposed to the often dirty processes involved with extracting and refining it. In the end we must all pay for it one way or another. If you do not pay for it by allowing domestic production and refining, you will pay for it at the pump with the premium prices that a stretched market and imports demand.

Keep that in mind as you’re growling at the pumps as the numbers keeping rolling and rolling and rolling off into the stratosphere, faithful readers. Stay tuned for further updates as the hypocrisy follows the price of oil off into orbit.

Wherever the oil is, we need to be getting it to at least stabilize the the price if possible but we absolutely must be working on serious, viable alternatives to oil. People simply cannot afford where it is now and certainly not where it seems to be going.

Ever the loyal partisan, President Bush couldn’t pass up an opportunity to take a shot at Democrats in Congress even as the failure of his mission to Riyadh to seek additional Saudi oil production reinforced the realization that he is increasingly a lame duck. Ironically, looking beyond the political rhetoric, he has a point.

In Godfather-like fashion, assuring the President their decision was business and not personal and that world markets were well supplied, the Saudis politely, but firmly rejected his request for additional production. This marked the second time in four months Bush has traveled to the desert kingdom, and the world’s largest oil producer, only to be rebuffed as oil and gas prices continue their meteoric rise.

Well aware how the Saudi decision would play at home, Bush preemptively struck at Democrats in Congress. All but openly calling them hypocrites, Bush said, “"One of the interesting things about American politics these days is those who are screaming the loudest for increased production from Saudi Arabia are the very same people who are fighting the fiercest against domestic exploration……..and against expanding refining capacity.”

Hear, hear!!!

Kudos to the President for stating the obvious, however late in the game it may be. Only the Democrats in Congress would have the temerity to badger and berate someone else for not doing what they themselves refuse to do.

The Saudis have made their decision based on what is in their economic and strategic interests. You may not like it, but at least they’re honest about it. Remember, this is business, not personal.

The Democrats, on the other hand, have pandered to environmentalists and the NIMBY (not in my back yard) crowd of state and local officials while nationally we pay the price for their decision. They then turn around and blame everyone from the President to Big Oil to OPEC to Chinese and Indian drivers to Detroit to market speculators; everyone but themselves. While the Saudis and well-healed market traders and oil company CEOs are easy political targets, they are only part of a complex equation that the Democrats themselves are a part of as well. As Queen Gertrude so aptly observed, “The lady doth protest too much, me-thinks.”

Had Congress and Bill Clinton had the intestinal fortitude to open up ANWAR and the continental shelves to responsible exploration and development back in the 1990s, there would be anywhere from two to five million additional barrels of domestically produced crude on the market today.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Madame Speaker Nancy Pelosi was a member of Congress during that time. Clearly, like so many of her Democratic colleagues, she placed the environmentally sensitive beliefs of her constituents ahead of the pocketbook interests of the rest of the country.

Lest my liberal friends begin howling about the Republican Congress of the 90s and the Bush administration of the last seven years, rest assured I hold them equally responsible and similarly guilty of a damnable lack of political will. This is after all business and not personal.

Nonetheless, let’s take a look at the two-fold impact an additional two to five million barrels of domestically produced oil would have on the markets.

First, the additional crude would lower prices and provide an additional cushion between global production and demand. Psychology is a driving force in energy markets. Fear of tightening supplies and diminished spare capacity is a very real concern. So much so that analysts believe the market has priced in a “fear premium” of somewhere between $10 and $25 a barrel. Added domestic production would reduce both the market price and the fear premium substantially.

Second, the dollars spent purchasing that oil would go into the coffers of domestic oil companies, not foreign national oil companies. That money would not be added to the trade deficit. Nor would it provide added weight to a sinking dollar. In fact, it would do the exact opposite and would reinforce the strength and value of the dollar.

Additionally, while Big Oil is an easy political target, it provides jobs in the United States; good paying jobs, at that. It also creates stock value which supports retirement security and pays for the college education of millions of Americans. Additional Saudi production will generate profits for Saudi Aramco, not Exxon Mobil or Chevron. Accordingly, not one retiree’s nest egg will be lined nor one student sent to college in America no matter how much the Saudis open their spigots. This will occur by reaping the economic benefits of allowing domestic oil companies do what they are designed to do best; produce oil.

Finally, as the President noted, there is the issue of refining capacity, No matter how much the Saudis open their spigots or how many additional barrels we could potentially produce domestically, we do not have sufficient domestic refining capacity to handle it.

The last week of April, we imported almost 1.5 million barrels of refined gasoline a day. Yes, we’re not only importing crude oil, we’re also importing refined gasoline. Why? Because we haven’t built a new refinery in the US since Jimmy Carter was president.

While refiners have incrementally added additional capacity in existing facilities, it has not come close to keeping up with increased demand. We are essentially trying to run a growing 21st Century economy with a 30+ year old energy infrastructure system. Government regulation and the NIMBY crowd are in large part to blame for this. While they all want the benefits of oil and gas, they don’t want to be exposed to the often dirty processes involved with extracting and refining it. In the end we must all pay for it one way or another. If you do not pay for it by allowing domestic production and refining, you will pay for it at the pump with the premium prices that a stretched market and imports demand.

Keep that in mind as you’re growling at the pumps as the numbers keeping rolling and rolling and rolling off into the stratosphere, faithful readers. Stay tuned for further updates as the hypocrisy follows the price of oil off into orbit.

I'm call bullshit on everything I have in bold above. It's simply not true.

The only true piece of information in there is undescored. Even if we had more oil, we can't refine it and we can't refine it because the oil companies themselves have refused to invest in additional refineries. It's got zero to do with NIMBYism or environmental concerns.

Dungshit your clueless, supply and demand brodda. But keep restricting the supply I like $5gas more than $1.50 gas.
What a tool please check refining capacity 10yrs ago vs now and tell me we refused to invest. What a programmer, you should have taken some other classes you wouldn't look like such a fool.

The only true piece of information in there is undescored. Even if we had more oil, we can't refine it and we can't refine it because the oil companies themselves have refused to invest in additional refineries. It's got zero to do with NIMBYism or environmental concerns.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba603/

A good read for you on some of the problems faced when trying to build a new refinery.

another older article from the times on the last attempt at a new refinery...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/09/business/09refinery.html

Dungshit your clueless, supply and demand brodda. But keep restricting the supply I like $5gas more than $1.50 gas.
What a tool please check refining capacity 10yrs ago vs now and tell me we refused to invest. What a programmer, you should have taken some other classes you wouldn't look like such a fool.

Topshit, please explain how an increased supply of raw materials leads to an increased supply in finished product when the capacity to make the finished product is running at full tilt and more finisihed cannot be produced.

Also, please check refining capacity since the early 80's as compared to today and get back to me. And please enlighten me on the number of refineries around in the early 80's as compared to today and list the locations of the new refineries built int he last 30 years (it'll be a short list).

Clearly you haven't studied the energy markets and understand the psychological aspect of them, my friend.

The oil market is inhabited by a jittery, nervous and easily spooked lot. They are susceptible to suggestion, rumor and superstition. Herd-mentality is the hallmark of their mindset. They are in a word, lemmings.

When an expert or industry-related official makes a statement regarding future supply and demand and prices, the herd takes that as a sign of things to come. Their language is analyzed for any hidden meanings or underlying messages. They listen closely to hear if Paul is indeed dead. Often they interpret new reports or statements by key players as conventional marketwide wisdom. They are viewed as institutional approval to test the higher limits of the psychological price threshold. Case in point; look at how the market reacted to the release of a Goldman Sachs report projecting the price of oil in the $150 to $200 a barrel range within the next six to twenty-four months.

Magnifying the often arcane interpretations are the very real influences of human and market fear and pessimism. We, and the markets, focus on the negatives around us. They rush to the forefront of our consciousness; they dominate the news. Remember, if it bleeds, it leads.

An unsubstantiated report of an attack on Nigerian oil facilities may result in a price uptick of over a dollar. Follow that up with OPEC's repeated rejections of calls for increased production and throw in increasing tensions between the United States and Iran and you have a highly combustible mixture of fact, fear and speculation that can result in dramatic price increases in a relatively short time frame. Watch how quickly the markets react should Israel and Hezbollah lock horns again this summer and get back to me later, if you like.

As it takes somewhere between seven to ten years to bring new oil projects online, this is not intended to address the petroleum pricing crisis at hand. What it will do, however, is supplement future demand.If you expect the population and economy to grow, then you must likewise anticipate that demand for oil will similarly increase. By beginning development of these untapped resources now, you will be adding supply in the future that will at the very least impact natural inflationary forces that result from increased demand.

While you may not increase surplus supply in the long run, you may well reduce the shortfall between supply and demand. Though the impact in terms of real dollars will vary depending on the supply to demand ratio at the time, it will nonetheless be a positive, price-dampening factor. Estimates place potential production from ANWR in the 700,000 to 2 million bpd range. Imagine what impact that would have had on today's market if the Clinton administration and Congress had opened up this vital resource back in the mid-90's.

dungshit billions have been invested in adding refining capacity to refineries already in place you FOOL.

Clearly you haven't studied the energy markets and understand the psychological aspect of them, my friend.

The oil market is inhabited by a jittery, nervous and easily spooked lot. They are susceptible to suggestion, rumor and superstition. Herd-mentality is the hallmark of their mindset. They are in a word, lemmings.

When an expert or industry-related official makes a statement regarding future supply and demand and prices, the herd takes that as a sign of things to come. Their language is analyzed for any hidden meanings or underlying messages. They listen closely to hear if Paul is indeed dead. Often they interpret new reports or statements by key players as conventional marketwide wisdom. They are viewed as institutional approval to test the higher limits of the psychological price threshold. Case in point; look at how the market reacted to the release of a Goldman Sachs report projecting the price of oil in the $150 to $200 a barrel range within the next six to twenty-four months.

Magnifying the often arcane interpretations are the very real influences of human and market fear and pessimism. We, and the markets, focus on the negatives around us. They rush to the forefront of our consciousness; they dominate the news. Remember, if it bleeds, it leads.

An unsubstantiated report of an attack on Nigerian oil facilities may result in a price uptick of over a dollar. Follow that up with OPEC's repeated rejections of calls for increased production and throw in increasing tensions between the United States and Iran and you have a highly combustible mixture of fact, fear and speculation that can result in dramatic price increases in a relatively short time frame. Watch how quickly the markets react should Israel and Hezbollah lock horns again this summer and get back to me later, if you like.

As it takes somewhere between seven to ten years to bring new oil projects online, this is not intended to address the petroleum pricing crisis at hand. What it will do, however, is supplement future demand.If you expect the population and economy to grow, then you must likewise anticipate that demand for oil will similarly increase. By beginning development of these untapped resources now, you will be adding supply in the future that will at the very least impact natural inflationary forces that result from increased demand.

While you may not increase surplus supply in the long run, you may well reduce the shortfall between supply and demand. Though the impact in terms of real dollars will vary depending on the supply to demand ratio at the time, it will nonetheless be a positive, price-dampening factor. Estimates place potential production from ANWR in the 700,000 to 2 million bpd range. Imagine what impact that would have had on today's market if the Clinton administration and Congress had opened up this vital resource back in the mid-90's.

The mean estimate is about 900,000 bpds and when we're talking about consumption of about 87,000,000 bpds it would be be maybe a couple of nickels per barrel if you're lucky.

dungshit billions have been invested in adding refining capacity to refineries already in place you FOOL.

While other refineries are taken off line. Do me a favor and show me the refining capacity of the United States in 1980 as compared to the refining capacity of the United States today.

I will bet that topper will say that kind of stuff in mixed public won't he ? It would probably be worse than me telling everyone I am an atheist.

dung are you seriously saying you don't think we refine more gas now than we did in 1980?
Stop getting your info from moveon. Actually they are prob even smarter than that.

Back