Once again, archaeology confirms Scripture.

The current site of the city of Tyre was an island stronghold, separate from the mainland city. The original city has been destroyed and never rebuilt. The ruins are still there. Try again, dipshitzky.

Sometimes prophesy is deliberately tricky and designed to deceive.

Matthew 2:15 cites Jesus' return from Egypt as being the fulfillment of a prophecy..He does that by leaving out CONTEXT.

And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son. Matt 2:15.

Hosea 11:1:

When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.

yes it does.......he called the nation of Israel out of Egypt........Jesus also spent time in Egypt.......the parallel of the Christ as representative of the people of God is consistent......

No he didn't .. Matthew is trying to make Jesus fit what was written in Hosea.

Jeremiah 44

11 "Therefore, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: I am determined to bring disaster on you and to destroy all Judah.
12 I will take away the remnant of Judah who were determined to go to Egypt to settle there. They will all perish in Egypt; they will fall by the sword or die from famine. From the least to the greatest, they will die by sword or famine. They will become an object of cursing and horror, of condemnation and reproach.
13 I will punish those who live in Egypt with the sword, famine and plague, as I punished Jerusalem.
14 None of the remnant of Judah who have gone to live in Egypt will escape or survive to return to the land of Judah, to which they long to return and live; none will return except a few fugitives."

no......Matthew is merely pointing out that Jesus DID fit what was written in Hosea.........

Jews were forbidden to go to Egypt.. and the prophets said they did go to Egypt God would kill them.. but before the birth of Christ there was a huge community of Jews living in Alexandria and on Elephantine Island.

Jews were forbidden to go to Egypt.. and the prophets said they did go to Egypt God would kill them.. but before the birth of Christ there was a huge community of Jews living in Alexandria and on Elephantine Island.

\whispers his questions about kudzu's sanity and lack of relevance.........God tells him its only to be expected from atheists........

stupid bint.......did some atheist post that on a web site you read once?......

Jesus never visited Egypt at all. Matthew seems to have invented the trip to Egypt to fulfill what he saw as a Prophecy " Out of Egypt , I called my son. ( Michah 5;2).

Look.. Matthew was gilding the lily as if Jesus wasn't enough on his own.

Jesus never visited Egypt at all. Matthew seems to have invented the trip to Egypt to fulfill what he saw as a Prophecy " Out of Egypt , I called my son. ( Michah 5;2).

He had to fit the criteria for being the Messiah.

The visit into Egypt is only recorded in Matthew's Gospel.
Luke's gospel tells a very different story.
In Luke's Gospel, there is no visit from the magi, no massacre of innocents by Herod ( and Josephus, who hated Herod and catalogues his many faults and failings as well as the assassinations he ordered, leaves the murder of the innocents in bethlehem out of his account of history).

In Luke's Gospel, Jesus is born in Bethlehem , taken to the temple on the 8th day, then taken by his parents back to Nazareth where they live, and they go down south into Jerusalem every year - in fact we next hear about Jesus at 12 years old talking to the Elders in the temple.

Comparing that to Matthew, Matthew has the Holy family flee to Egypt, and only returning to Israel when Herod is dead. Even then , Joseph makes a home in Nazareth, up in Galilee and out of the jurisdiction of Herod's son (also called Herod , but not Herod the Great ) because he is so fearful. this is hardly the same man who would take Jesus with him to Jerusalem every year, as per Luke's Gospel!

Luke and Matthew have only one point in common. Jesus born in bethlehem , that's all. The rest is two different , mutually exclusive stories. Very likely, Jesus never visited Egypt at all. Matthew seems to have invented the trip to Egypt to fulfill what he saw as a Prophecy " Out of Egypt , I called my son. ( Michah 5;2).

And yet Michah talks in the past tense and the context refers to the exodus, not any future messiah coming up out of Egypt. as I say, it does not look as though Matthew's tale bears out as a historical narrative.

To argue that ‘ the Gospel writers did not include everything’ is to ignore very salient claims - Matthew says also that Jesus was taken to Egypt to flee the wrath of Herod and the Massacre of the Innocents .
It even says that Joseph would not return until Herod was dead - and even then , settled in a region outside his successor’s juristiction.

This cannot be reconciled to Luke’s claim that they visited Jerusalem every year.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Jesus-Christ-visit-Egypt-ever-in-his-life-time

Yeah.. it would seem so......

You see what Matthew did?

Matthew 2:15 cites Jesus' return from Egypt as being the fulfillment of a prophecy..He does that by leaving out CONTEXT.

And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son. Matt 2:15.

Hosea 11:1:

When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.

?.....\shrugs.......you appear to have invented many things......

Back